Why become a member? ×

New TC Electronic heads

rubis

I have the BH250 and have for several months have successfully resisted the temptation to buy the BH550 attracted by the hi and low mid controls rather than the 1.

So I'm surprised to see these BQ heads. Prices seem very reasonable if the $ matches the £ on release. https://www.notreble.com/buzz/2018/08/05/tc-electronic-unveils-the-bq250-and-bq500-bass-amps/

I do like the built in tuner on the BH so the BQ heads wouldn't be for me and I have the Spectracomp toneprint loaded which I use sparingly.

But what is this THRUST ? We can all I think appreciate HEFT as a desirable and often elusive quality, but THRUST!

I can't imagine a sound engineer calling for a bit more THRUST from the bassman  -  " can you give me a bit more THRUST please".

Would you be happy with a THRUST control on the front panel of your amplifier in full view of all and sundry?

Methinks that THRUST should be left well and truly in the remit of those singers who gyrate and strut through their testosterone-fuelled performance.

If a product of the marketing department I don't think THRUST is something a right-minded bassman would aspire to. I may be wrong but I'm of the opinion that THRUSTING has it's proper place elsewhere than in bass terminology. Do we not, as a fraternity, have a duty to resist the introduction of vague descriptors?

THRUST indeed, whatever next?

Edited by grandad
fun and grammar
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, grandad said:

Prices seem very reasonable if the $ matches the £ on release. https://www.notreble.com/buzz/2018/08/05/tc-electronic-unveils-the-bq250-and-bq500-bass-amps/

Gear4Music have the BQ500 on pre-order for £249.00

https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/TC-Electronic-Thrust-BQ500-Bass-Head/2M3F

Yeah I spotted these too.  Prices seem really good.

I have the BH250 and it's a really good, easy-to-get-a-good-sound-out-of type amp.  Gassed for a BH550/800 for a while too, but then an RH750 came onto my radar and I've been using that ever since.  BH250 is now the backup!

6 hours ago, CameronJ said:

Hmm. Definitely looks like a slightly simplified BH series head. My question: if it ain’t broke, why try to fix it? 

To get a cheap basic head out at a lower price point? The bass head range is a bit of a mess from a marketing POV - like what is the difference between the BH and RH lines supposed to be? They don’t explain that at all 

It's nice to see something a bit more gimmick free and plug and play being brought to the TC table.  That being said; I think TC have forever dented people's trust in them with the whole wattage thing, and no matter what they offer now (at whatever price point) it'll always be a question that's raised.

I now feel slightly dissapointed that my TC-RH450 doesn't have a thrust control. There are many times I am sure I could have done with more thrust, and as we don't get invisible bears over here, that would have been perfect. I am sure there are times when there is just way too much thrust too.

In fact I might have to make an effect pedal for some thrust control.

• Haha 2

Something along the lines of the RH750 being marketed as a 700 watt head, when really it puts out a max of 236 watts (same as the RH450 I believe) with some clever compression to make it as loud as a 700 watt head.  I found that the amp had a baked in overly compressed tone, and even by class D standards lacked "heft". 

7 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Well, that makes everything acceptable doesn't it? 😄 

On a serious level, I'm sick of manufacturers gaming the wattage ratings for class D/switch power amps. Hartke's newest underpowered joke being another example. I generally operate on a rule of thumb that if it's class D, you need at least a third or 50% more power than it says it gives to get the required wattage you desire. Maybe it's just the cheaper amps don't use as good power modules, I don't know.

Thrust is a patented circuit in API 2500 compressors. It´s basically a sidechain highpassfilter which causes the compressor to react less on LF signals than on HF.

https://www.soundonsound.com/sound-advice/q-what-does-api-2500-compressors-thrust-control-do

Let´s wait and see if there will be a patent violation lawsuit....