Precisions: Old vs New(ish) - Listening test

Sibob

Precisions: New(ish) vs Old  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Which is which?

• 1st = Lakland, 2nd = Fender
    • 1st = Fender, 2nd = Lakland

This poll is closed to new votes

Just for a bit of fun. Obviously goes without saying that you should use good headphones or speakers, no phones or laptop speakers ;) .
Here we have two sound files, one is a 1971 Precision with La Bella 760FL flats, the other is a Lakland Skyline Bob Glaub with La Bella Low Tension Flats.

Which do we think is which?

1 - 

2- 

And added after the poll was closed, just for further comparison/consideration, same Lakland bass, different La Bella flats:

Si

Edited by Sibob

Well I can't leave this indefinitely can I haha, so I've renamed the tracks to reflect what they are and closed the poll.

As most of you guessed, 1 was indeed the Lakkie and 2 the Fender.
Adding to it further, I've now also added a third track which is the Lakland with a set of La Bella 760FS flats, much closer to what the Fender is strung with, very mildly thicker gauge.

I should also say that I had to bring up the volume of the Fender up a fair amount in Logic for this test, the Lakland as well being a bit more focussed (although arguably slightly less lows), is a lot louder. You'd probably expect that from a new pickup though, but wanted a fair test avoiding any psycho-acoustic bias.

Si

Edited by Sibob
  • Like 3