Why become a member? ×

Strat Build for my Daughter

Jimothey

My 9yr old daughter has been bugging me to build her a guitar so I thought I'd better get started on it 

She's a bit too small for a bass at the mo so I had an old strat copy kicking about she wanted it orange after seeing my Jazz 

_20180806_124606.thumb.JPG.2671e7148ff40a280744d046b2048bfd.JPG

_20180806_124747.thumb.JPG.0db473a02f68bf10c1728e4ba172b51c.JPG

I'm just going to put a black pickguard on it and back cover and chrome hardware

Edited by Jimothey
  • Like 6

23 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

Even though it's a (spits on the ground) guitar, it's a worthy project.

Good man!

I did try and tell her that no one would like her if she played those twiddly 6 string things but she was adamant 😁

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Jimothey said:

I did try and tell her that no one would like her if she played those twiddly 6 string things but she was adamant 😁

Tell her that even fewer people will like her if she looks like Adam Ant.

image.png.22c3a686367bd984252cdda5eb20f2ce.png

Edited by SpondonBassed
  • Haha 6

• 2 weeks later...

I remembered that I had 3/4 size squier strat in my dad's loft so I've decided to finish this one and probably try and sell it and refinish the squier instead I'm going to finish it in purple glitter paint so it will be nice and girly! it might even have a unicorn on it somewhere if she's lucky 😀

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

I’ve almost finished this for my daughter I thought it was a 3/4 but it’s actually a full size squier it should be fine size wise

The original plan was to spray the body Glittery Purple etc but she was looking at my basses the other week and said I really like that wooden one and the black one (my Warwick copy and 5 string RB) but I can’t decide which one I like best I said if I had a purple one that would be your favourite and she replied NO! so alarm bells started ringing so I had a re think so I decided I’d blend her two favourites and came up with this which I think is looking good and I hope she likes it if not I’ll keep it instead!!

C4671199-3707-42AB-AD65-C7B949D38016.thumb.jpeg.7b4e0ddabedea25cef62cbb1f3e22b36.jpeg

I forgot to take a pic of the back but it’s Natural like the front with a black cavity cover...........😀

Edited by Jimothey
  • Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

On the basis that I am definitely stealing that look when I refin my Tele (probably never, but I can plan to) how did you do it? My thoughts are to paint the sides black and then sand off the top without going around the edge contour, or would that create a fuzzy edge rather than a sharp edge on the paint?

42 minutes ago, Si600 said:

On the basis that I am definitely stealing that look when I refin my Tele (probably never, but I can plan to) how did you do it? My thoughts are to paint the sides black and then sand off the top without going around the edge contour, or would that create a fuzzy edge rather than a sharp edge on the paint?

That should work if you paint the sides and the top edge then sand the paint off the top just make sure you keep the sander flat then it should keep a sharp edge on the paint well that’s what I did anyway...........👍

• Thanks 1