Why become a member? ×

Goin' mag

AndyBass

Hi - I've been playing some super-loud gigs and recently and I'm tired of feedback, despite a million Macguyver-style attempts to get round it. So I'm thinking it might be time to switch to a mag pickup. Any recommendations for a good mag pickup and some good low tension (lower the better) strings which will work with one? All advice gratefully received 🙏

Please someone answer this. I don't even bother taking my db to gigs nowadays (even not particularly loud ones) as I can't even setup without feedback, so I just default to my piezo equipped electric bass. 

I couldn’t get one of my basses to get an even consistent volume across the four strings with piezo, no matter how much I tried. So I put the cheapest mag, a Schaller on. The result is amazing and I get complimented on a lot of jazz gigs for the clarity of the notes.

Stingray Pete is a Schaller user. He likes his. There are ‘better’ more expensive ones but why pay more?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 6feet7 said:

Rather more costwise unfortunately :(

Thomann want €125 for the Schaller 411:

https://www.thomann.de/gb/schaller_kontrabasspickup.htm?glp=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjw45_bBRD_ARIsAJ6wUXQCXcaYAOwNmGF767cIf3JI3XflFmaTCrsU--1Eq4g8mFrkvvjSD9IaAt3yEALw_wcB

Gollihur want $199 (+ P&P) for the Krivo Humbucker:

https://www.gollihurmusic.com/product/2435-KRIVO_HUMBUCKING_MAGNETIC_UPRIGHT_BASS_PICKUP_NEW_SMALLER_MODEL_INCLUDES_FREE_JACK_MOUNT.html

Definitely more, costwise, but not exactly life-changing. When you think about how much we all splash on our DBs and then on amplifying the buggers, this don't amount to a hill o' beans.

3 hours ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

As Roger says, I use a schaller and it works great for me, I never going to be in the philharmonic so that's not a worry. 

I think a simple five string jazz bass pickup possibly mated to a volume and tone pot routed via something like fishman preamp would work fine. 

I was thinking of that, but the pickup is straight and the double bass strings and board are curved. Don't think all the strings will get the same volume

Here's how to make a five-string bass pick-up. Use a curved 'popsicle stick' to match the curve of the bridge and you're set...

How to make a bass pick-up ...

S'not that hard; worth a try..?

Edit: just to note that the bloke winds by hand; I'd recommend attaching to a hand drill and turning the former (slowly, at first...), rather than fixing the former and winding manually. Much faster, and much less chance of breaking the wire. Just sayin'.B|

Here's the Stew-Mac method for doing the same thing ...

Build Your Own Custom Pick-ups ...

Edited by Dad3353

1 minute ago, bassace said:

A Krivo is £189 over here at Promenade Music

https://www.promenademusic.co.uk/krivo-upright-bass-pickup

It's for a 5 string bass. 5 string is a lot more.

17 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

Here's how to make a five-string bass pick-up. Use a curved 'popsicle stick' to match the curve of the bridge and you're set...

How to make a bass pick-up ...

S'not that hard; worth a try..?

Edit: just to note that the bloke winds by hand; I'd recommend attaching to a hand drill and turning the former (slowly, at first...), rather than fixing the former and winding manually. Much faster, and much less chance of breaking the wire. Just sayin'.B|

Here's the Stew-Mac method for doing the same thing ...

Build Your Own Custom Pick-ups ...

Love it. Going out to buy some ice lollies and I'll give it a go :)

• Like 1

Thanks for signposting that Krivo, looks a decent deal especially if it's a cut above the Schaller. But let's face it the main reason is that I'm playing psychobilly and the Krivo is black...🤘That said I'm not in an immediate rush so I'll be hanging over the classifieds on the offchance one or other comes up. Thanks for the advice.

I bought a Krivo out of sheer desperation about 3 years ago and haven't looked back. I've not tried the Schaller so I can't comment on whether it's worth spending more on the Krivo.

String wise, I'd recommend starting with a set of Spiro weichs as if you really don't like them you'll easily sell them on again.

If you want a really low tension string that works with magnetic pickups, then the Presto Nylonwound lights are the way to go.

• Thanks 1

To be honest, you are not getting a pure double bass sound off the Krivo, but it is limitless volume wise and it is as good a double bass sound as you need for open air and festival tents. In any other circumstances, I would prefer to battle feedback and try to reproduce an acoustic sound. I am happy with my Remic live bass version, but I concur it won’t do psychobilly and I haven’t considered trying it with a noisy band. A few years back, the battle to get a decent live sound made me give up “band” gigs altogether. Now, with a Krivo and the option of blending it with a mic, I would happily consider them again, so it’s more than worth it from that viewpoint (in my opinion).

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Pretty loud, sometimes....

For me it was the festival gigs with 10 minute changeovers or pub gigs where you're expected to cram 4 of you into a tiny corner so I'm wedged between the FOH and a monitor. Switching to magnetic just made the unpredictability of those gigs disappear.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheRev said:

Pretty loud, sometimes....

For me it was the festival gigs with 10 minute changeovers or pub gigs where you're expected to cram 4 of you into a tiny corner so I'm wedged between the FOH and a monitor. Switching to magnetic just made the unpredictability of those gigs disappear.

Same. Big festivals, small stage changeover times, bad backlines, disinterested/indie-minded sound guys.

To be honest I’m glad to have drifted away from that kind of performance, but if I ever get the call, I’d gladly do a dep job, in which case the mag pickup is ready...

• 2 weeks later...