Why become a member? ×

The mod formerly known as AVRI P into PT (a.k.a. Project Thunderblackstone)

HazBeen

1 hour ago, Jimothey said:

I think that's gonna look really good!! What are you going to make it out of? 

I was considering doing that style pickguard on my nod to a fortress build (5 string Ibanez new body thread) but I bottled it and did a Adam Clayton streamer style instead 😀

3 ply black/w/bl. I am likely going to respray the body at some stage in Pelham Blue and the black fits that perfectly, whilst looking good on the current grey flake as well. 

Nothing wrong with an AC streamer :)

1 hour ago, HazBeen said:

3 ply black/w/bl. I am likely going to respray the body at some stage in Pelham Blue and the black fits that perfectly, whilst looking good on the current grey flake as well. 

Nothing wrong with an AC streamer :)

I'm still hopefully going to do my take on a streamer but I've got quite a few other builds in the pipeline first but I'm really interested how this is going to turn out 😀 

Result! I convinced my mrs to take the kids out for the day so was able to make some progress. Routing done, scratchplate cut and routed but still needs some sanding/finishing/screw holes etc. Notice the control cavity (freehand route), the acoustic foam is clearly visible. Amazing stuff, it is incredibly dence and even behaves like wood when routing. Plastic is still on the scratchplate in case you are wondering why it looks “dirty”

17960526-7446-4D17-9DE5-AB63C5F29230.jpeg

9C7E29AC-2B9A-4ADD-AC4B-A34A10B1180A.jpeg

724F9BAE-0CD2-4E2F-B42E-6063CD145E20.jpeg

F08FFD76-0B42-46D2-90E5-5DA4CC2F88EB.jpeg

276DAE16-1BCE-4E22-BCD5-C36D3E7FE6C1.jpeg

6907D440-5C51-4FE8-9116-C05A91905C77.jpeg

DC5C3B38-BEC6-425D-ADD4-63FFC7CAB48E.jpeg

F12DF2B3-397B-4C11-833E-EFEF2A377A70.jpeg

Edited by HazBeen
  • Like 6

Sure no probs to snap some pics! The outer polycarbonate shell is about 3-4mm. I had assumed there was a wooden solid centre block, but I was routing in acoustic foam and polycarbonate mainly. This really surprised me

Anyway, I decided to go with a straight knob layout to stay in the TB theme. Scratchplate finished, holes drilled so getting closer to completion. Since I made the pic I installed the pots etc.

Forgot to buy pickguard screws and shielding so will need to buy that tomorrow. I’ll be fully done next weekend,

C55A819C-5273-4961-B586-AC1454F93EBE.jpeg

• Like 3

On 19/08/2018 at 11:49, No. 8 Wire said:

Looking very nice indeed.

Got any pics of the pickup routs. I'm interested in how the carbon body was made. Is there a solid block running from the bridge to the neck? How thick is the outer carbon laminate?

You can clearly see the polycarbonate shell, acoustic foam on quite a thin piece of wooden backbone in this picture.

36CAFA82-1097-4396-B661-27171CCD526B.jpeg

Edited by HazBeen
  • Like 1

So yesterday I installed the pickups, pots, wiring etcetera for a test run.

I actually do not have a clue how to wire a Thunderbird yet, so for now I did Jazz style wiring. Sounded pretty good already, although a bit noisy for my taste  (unshielded as yet) and the tone pot (reused from a loom I had) has some issues so needs replacing by a new one. But on the whole it is safe to say this thing is going to be a tone monster.

The front pickup is a bit further back than a true TB so it is a bit clearer, almost P like. The back pickup is “close to exact” and gives a nice mid bite.

I will post final pics and some sound clips when all done. Whilst I am pretty comfortable with wiring/routing etc, the scratchplate was a concern. All worked out well (although I have a few small nitpicks as you would expect) so I am very happy....... on to the next one :)

Edited by HazBeen
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, No. 8 Wire said:

Superb.  I bet even the Ox would be proud of that one.

Now - how does it sound?

I am taking it to band practice tomorrow for a “full volume” test, but thus far I am really impressed. For a passive bass it packs a real punch, the neck pickup is like a P on steroids, Bridge has the “jazz” vibe but with much more body and both pickups sounds like a TB to my ears. When I get back from my business trip I will record a few bits so you can hear for yourselves.

• Like 1