Why become a member? ×

Fame at last

Bassnut62

27 minutes ago, Bassnut62 said:

Thanks guys. What a bonkers few days, including TV interviews on Sky News snd ITN + BBC radio interviews. 

WOW, I'm jealous.

TV interviews, radio, I've always been into that stuff. Always been a dream. Never happened for me.

I'm not giving up yet.

Blue

I have a mate (drummer) with a similar thing.  Before I made his acquaintance, he had (very) limited success with a generic hair-metal band in the late 80s and every time we hooked up you could put money on him saying, 'Well, when I was in <band name here>...' 

We'd jam and record every so often, but you knew it was a waste of time as there was little chance of ever playing live as he wanted to be solely studio based.  The sadness was that he's never really held down any long-term position in a band; I mean that while he's a lovely guy, technically adept (think Mike Portnoy-lite) and a wonderful player who also records, produces and teaches, his drums never leave the house or his home studio.  He always seemed to be held back by what could have been 30 years ago and was of the belief that one day the phone would go and it would be someone from the 80s unit saying, 'Get your leopard skin print budgie-smugglers dry-cleaned mate, we're going to get the old band back together.'

Well anyway, cut to the chase, one day the phone did ring.  Someone had uncovered a box of old master tapes and somehow or another these got put in front of someone with influence and they released an album that had been recorded 30 years previously.  The guy telephoned me about a year ago to give me the cough, good, cough, news and said he had some signed copies at his house if I was interested (I said yes purely out of politeness), but when he told me the signed ones were £5.00 more than the unsigned copies, I kind of shook my head and thought he could just swivel on it.  I still don't own a copy.  Doubt if I will.  He went on to regale me with yarns of what they were doing, how album number two was going to be recorded, there would be tours, TV and radio promos.  I congratulated him on his good fortune and wished him well.

Fast forward a few months and I did bother to do a quick search on Spotify to see if the album was up there.  Yes it was.  In fact, I'm listening to it now and it's awful, truly awful.  The second album?  Nope.  Tour?  Nope.  Drummer is working as an electrician in a technical college locally, living off memories and ten songs on digital media.  I feel sorry for him really.  He held out for decades waiting for the call and when it arrived it pretty much amounted to zero.  He could have just dispensed with the waiting and frankly been a spectacular musician elsewhere.

Edited by NancyJohnson
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, SH73 said:

Very motivational. Wish I could follow uo my dreams.

I have very strange and vivid dreams. Had one the other night where Elon Musk and Vanilla Ice were hassling me for cigarettes while my cat was being chased by a herd of buffalo.

9 hours ago, casapete said:

Great story, well done! Still got the MM bass as well?

Absolutely, and will be playing it at the album launch gig at The Troubador in London on 7/9/18

Edited by Bassnut62
  • Like 1