Why become a member? ×

Jazz series/parallel switch

LITTLEWING

Just thought I'd share this - if you think (like me) a Jazz is a little tame compared to a thumpy Precision, provided you're reasonably handy with a soldering iron, do this mod. You REALLY want to do this mod. One mini toggle switch and a quiet calm half hour alone and you will have a powerhouse of a bass in humbucker mode. Jeez, I didn't know what to expect but this I'm ashamed to say gave me an actual semi. 

There are loads of simple wiring diagrams on the wonderweb. If I can do it, anyone can. One way it's normal standard volume/volume/tone, the other is one volume, one redundant knob and then tone along with an incredible kickass earthquake. 

A 6mm drill will see the switch nicely between the socket and tone knob. The only fiddly bit was realigning the three pots so everything went back into the pit. Unless you want to swap the pots for mini pots while you're at it.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, DiceSociety said:

Do you have any before and after sound files?

Ah, now that is one of the things I don't have any software to do. Wish I could. All I can tell you is that in humbucker mode it's bigger, fatter and a smidge louder. Imagine both jazz pups up full on a standard jazz and someone goes up a notch on the bass and middle on your amp?

Agreed. This is the standard mod I do to all my Jazzes; really useful for a boost to your signal at the flick of a switch. You lose some of the snappy top of the normal Jazz sound, but there’s s noticeable difference in ‘oomph’ in return.

Since first owning an S1 Jazz, I've now insisted on this mod for every jazz since. A useful option to have.

If you're not good with a soldering iron, Basschat's own Ki0gon will make you a high quality push/pull series/parallel loom for a price, so no drilling required either.

Edited by Shambo

I've done this to my cheapy Aria STB Jazz. Series/parallel switch and Entwistle neo pickups. 

I'm a P man at heart and the J now has that P punch but still retains the J burble. I think I prefer it to a PJ. 

The only problem is with the Entwistle pickups in series produce such a high output that I have to significantly cut the input gain on my amp to stop clipping.