Why become a member? ×

Jazz Bitsas

Johnny Wishbone

25 minutes ago, Johnny Wishbone said:

Wiring harness and pups installed in the “Jazz Banana”, plus pickguard screwholes filled and re-drilled.

I’ve run out of the more “conventional” wire colours so why not purple and orange?

63F5C710-7BC4-4EB3-9A16-4E3C2BDD9258.jpeg

3D8C2A97-564C-4D3B-A6AA-E24BE10DAAE1.jpeg

7E6A3B99-94B0-43F0-9B0B-5567B8B827C0.jpeg

Looking good mate! 😀 

• Thanks 1

Yes, I think the lighter neck looks nicer, in terms of its' colour
I do like the black blocks on the other neck though - goes nicely with the black pickguard, contrasts strikingly with the yellow body

Perhaps the colour of that first neck is just a tad too similar in to the body of the bass?
Or would it look OK by the time you've got a bridge and strings on it? Either way, I like it. As a few of us have said - you don't see enough yellow basses around :)

• Thanks 1

The tinted neck originally intended for the yellow Jazz is now on “the P Bass that started it all”. Pretty happy with how that looks.

The headstock on the paler maple neck has now been sanded back and re-lacquered with a new decal. Will probably leave that overnight before giving it a tickle with some wet-and-dry just to knock it back to satin rather than the high gloss it currently is. Took the opportunity to fit a new Tusq nut as the original one was pretty crappy plastic.

Once the lacquer is dry I can get the machine heads and string tree fitted and complete the yellow Jazz build. Sadly I won’t be able to get it strung and set up until payday next week as I’ve got about a tenner to last me until then!

E565C52D-24EE-41D7-837E-6F8168D07BF1.jpeg

8DF5041F-7DAE-49A0-A21B-4D3D81F6E6FD.jpeg

Edited by Johnny Wishbone
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, JohnDaBass said:

Hi Johnny,

Great diary of two marvellous builds.

Great job really enjoyed.

Well done!

What lacquer did you use on the head stock?

Thanks mate.  Obviously I'm not reinventing the wheel here, or even exhibiting much in the way of craftsmanship, but it's amazing what sort of "custom" instrument you can build for less than 200 quid these days if you're willing to put a bit of graft in.

The lacquer isn't nitro or anything - just Wilko's own spray lacquer. About £4.50 a can IIRC. I don't think I'd use it on a prized instrument, but on a £30 Chinese neck it's got the job done! 

The key part is sealing the decals from the lacquer - it'll just eat straight into them if you're not careful. I took a bit of a punt using some spray fixative (I think it's meant for protecting pastel/charcoal drawings) that I had lying around and that worked fine.  10-15 mist coats of that, with a few seconds drying time in between, then left to dry properly for an hour or so.  The lacquer went straight over that in 4-5 light coats and, as mentioned earlier, I'll knock it back with wet-and-dry tomorrow. The rest of the neck is satin finish so a gloss headstock wouldn't really work! Satin spray lacquer seems to be quite hard to get hold of for some reason, but with a bit of a rub down you can get much  the same effect using gloss.

On we go!

Build has stalled due to my fickleness. The light maple neck has what I’d call a “modern” Fender headstock with a straight edge along the bottom (see first pic) which I don’t really like as much as the “vintage” headstock (second pic) with the curved bottom profile. I have therefore purchased a replacement neck with the desired headstock shape and am awaiting delivery.

This may be considered an extravagance but (i) it’s a ‘custom’ build so needs to be as I want it, and (ii) I used some Amazon vouchers I was given as a leaving gift from my last job to purchase the new neck, so effectively it’s cost me nothing. I’ll maybe use the old neck on another build or perhaps sell it on.

Block fret marker stickers have arrived from the US and will be applied in due course.

Stand by for further developments!

99D9D57C-F4FD-431F-84E4-C3B958FB1A14.jpeg

9FF61121-4D76-48DF-8933-55434A571E88.jpeg

Don't worry about the "fickleness" - I think you've made great progress an a couple of basses, and you've made some alterations / adaptations as you go along
So you've achieved plenty, methinks, and are perhaps due some pondering time :)

Yes, I think the shape of the new neck looks good, and perhaps better for this project
I'm sure you'll find a buyer for the neck - or as you say, perhaps you could put it on yet another body, and create a further bass?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jimothey said:

I'm looking for a Jazz neck to put on my P bass or my Tangocaster project 

What size heel has it got? And how much would you want for it? 

I’m out at the moment but will return in due course with measurements! £20 plus postage, maybe?

Edited by Johnny Wishbone

Neck has arrived a week early! Got a gig tonight (the blue Jazz bitsa’s first public appearance, no less!) so I have no time left to get cracking today, sadly.  I’ll get the fret marker stickers on tomorrow and hopefully also get the screw holes drilled at the heel.

It’s probably sensible to await delivery of the headstock decal and get that applied, dried and lacquered before getting the tuners on. However I’m an impatient so-and-so at times so maybe I won’t!

3CD83E38-927C-43D5-A699-01524FB2811F.jpeg