Why become a member? ×

Jazz Bitsas

Johnny Wishbone

Background: After 18 years and hundreds of gigs I’ve just “retired” my trusty Warwick Fortress One from live duty. I’ve seen so many reports of band’s gear getting knocked off lately that I just didn’t feel comfortable taking something of such sentimental value out on the road any more. As a replacement, I picked up a reliced sunburst P bitza and, after a bit of a fettle, it plays and sounds as good as any bass I’ve ever used. It cost me the princely sum of £100 which proved to me that it’s possible to build very useable, great-sounding basses for very little money if you’re prepared to put a bit of time into tidying up a few rough fret ends etc. I therefore sold my backup Fortress and took to eBay to see what I could pick up. I’ll not be using anything high-end (e.g. the necks are from China and cost about £30 each - they’re the same as on the aforementioned P) and hopefully I can put together at least a couple of good live workhorses that can get chucked around without too much concern.

After a few near misses I managed to pick up 2 loaded Jazz bodies (the blue one is a J&D, the yellow unknown) and paid about £100 in total. I’ve always preferred the looks of Jazzes to Ps -and only bought the P bitza because it was so cheap and had a Jazz neck (great for my small hands) plus everyone needs at least one good P bass in their life, right?

E0FDD6FD-4DBA-44B9-A8C3-13C7DE96BCEF.jpeg

6C2D2EEA-1104-4F2D-AA9F-B90BC58B6DB2.jpeg

Edited by Johnny Wishbone
  • Like 1

Stripped both bodies and gave them both a wipe down. I was originally planning to refinish the yellow one but then I thought “how many yellow basses do you actually see?” It’s a pretty unusual colour that I think I can pull off with right pickguard etc.

Having taken the pickguard off the blue one, there’s the added bonus of some nice ageing to the paint in the exposed areas. Unfortunately this discolouration also shows that there was at some point a sticker in the arm contour area that has since been removed. No big deal though. Both bodies have a few small nicks etc and I’m not going to the trouble of repairing any of them. To me, Fender style basses always look better with a bit of wear and tear to them.

69E8DD22-3FBE-49F6-B1A6-34D7A4F7DD27.jpeg

BD7DC7C1-9196-44B9-83F5-25263FD4FC44.jpeg

C9925AA3-6F77-4FE3-902E-3E0B94C25DFD.jpeg

• Like 1

And on a likewise note I also use cheap basses for the majority of gigs these days.  Some of my basses are not so much valuable but irreplaceable (or very difficult to replace).  The quality of bitsas (and many 'cheap' basses) is quite remarkable and once the volume is raised any subtlety is lost on for me. Tha 'banana' / 'custard' yellow body looks good to me.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, 3below said:

The quality of bitsas (and many 'cheap' basses) is quite remarkable and once the volume is raised any subtlety is lost on for me.

The quality of the P I picked up was a real eye-opener. That and the fact that, as you’re effectively spec’ing the build, it’s possible to build the exact bass you want. Kind of a custom bass for non-custom money.

The P has a string-through bridge I really like - a kind of Gotoh knock-off -  so I picked up a couple via Northwest Guitars on eBay along with some ferrules and set to drilling the body. The jury is out on whether through-body stringing makes any real difference but, for me at least, is does seem to add a certain  something and quite honestly I just like the look of it. I have a rudimentary drill press of sorts so should be able to drill reasonably accurate vertical holes. Time to give it a try!

The bridges are a direct Fender BBOT replacement, so once I’d banged the ferrules in there was no further drilling required. I also started shielding the cavities but then ran out of copper tape *sigh*

65CFE168-770D-47F6-9F40-E27E0F0A2E87.jpeg

E67C98EF-254D-45D5-A7E1-35960E732F78.jpeg

0A32D559-FB5F-47A2-B28E-DD187E11C35E.jpeg

2F7098D8-9B80-420B-A780-6BFAA7145113.jpeg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jimothey said:

I really like the yellow one!!

I've just done a bright orange Jazz but was considering bright yellow but I might do that on a 5 string Jazz I've got planned 

Watching with interest to how these turn out 😀

I based my initial refin decision on the eBay photo where it looks a lot more washed-out. In the flesh it’s a nice bright banana yellow. As I said earlier, how many yellow basses have you seen? Not many for sure. Found a yellow Jazz on google images with a sort of “aged” white pearloid guard (example below) so think I’m gonna go down that route.

Funny you about mention orange - I lusted after a metallic orange Jazz in my local music shop many moons ago (it sold before I could save up enough cash) so orange is definitely high up my list when it comes to another bitsa!

57EA4603-8F8C-4319-A40D-49AFD70E1903.jpeg

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

The black pickguard looks ok too

0EF9217E-C1B8-4F6E-85EE-AB8A00B86DBF.jpeg

That I like! I did think about black but wasn’t sure - thanks 👍🏻

I haven’t checked, but if the black guard that came with the blue bass fits the yellow one ok that’d be a huge bonus! I’m going red tortoiseshell on the blue bass, no question.

Having now played my P bitsa at a few rehearsals, it’s become apparent my Warwick was spoiling me in terms of access to the upper frets. I can just about get around it by shifting my fretting arm position, but frankly why should I?

I’ve picked up a couple of these neck plates (which I think are similar to the ones fitted to US Fenders) and plan to just round off the bottom corner with a jigsaw, sand it smooth and re-drill for the missing screw hole. I doubt I’ll repaint as (a) you won’t really see it from the front (b) matching the colours will be a pain in the backside, and (c) these are purely workhorse instrumentals and I kind of feel like leaving it unfinished reflects that. 

3F948470-546E-4630-9957-373EA0E89002.jpeg