Why become a member? ×

ACUS One ForBass

Hellzero

Has anyone tried this ACUS One ForBass ?

https://www.acus-sound.it/en/products/one-forstrings-one-forall/one-forbass-detail.html

On the paper and in the videos, it looks like the perfect amp for me as my AER BassCube v1 is now too heavy for my broken (destroyed ?) back.

Below are the videos in delightful Italian :

• Like 1

Thanks for bringing that to our attention. Portable quality combos are definitely interesting (for me anyway!).  My initial thoughts:

Plus points

• 350W RMS (should be plenty in theory - although through just a 10" speaker questionmark as to how much dB out this will actually produce?)
  • Just 29lbs / 13kg for a combo is great
  • 8 onboard effects plus a compressor - I'm guessing some of these will be useful although I couldn't see from the manual (I may have missed) what these actually are!

In between points

• 3 input channels. Seems excessive? Could have made the combo lighter and significantly cheaper with just one (or at most two) inputs?

Minuses

• Plywood construction - how robust is that going to be?
  • High cost - nearly £1,100 new (you're not going to get one second hand any time soon methinks!)

Conclusion

• At first appearance looks good but spendy. In your shoes, I would certainly want to A/B it with the Eich BC112 Pro which is cheaper, more powerful, has a 12" speaker and is a similar weight.

Edited by Al Krow

@Al Krow most cabs these days are made with plywood, it’s not just the wood material per se that is the strength factor, it is how the enclosure is designed to confer strength. For example one could presume if something is a hardwood, then it is a ‘hard’ wood, however balsa is hardwood due to the grain despite it being very soft indeed

The onboard effects seem to be 8 different reverbs. That said my AER BassCube v1 has also 3 inputs and an assignable compressor, plus two power amps (340 + 60 Watts) , but weights 25 kilos, which is almost twice the weight... And the sound is impressive too.

53 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Plywood construction - how robust is that going to be?

Robust enough. I estimate at least 95% of the better bass cabs today have plywood construction.

High cost - nearly £1,100 new

+1, that's way more than a 1x10 combo is worth, irrespective of the DSP aspects.

12 minutes ago, Bill Fitzmaurice said:

Robust enough. I estimate at least 95% of the better bass cabs today have plywood construction.

57 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

@Al Krow most cabs these days are made with plywood, it’s not just the wood material per se that is the strength factor, it is how the enclosure is designed to confer strength. For example one could presume if something is a hardwood, then it is a ‘hard’ wood, however balsa is hardwood due to the grain despite it being very soft indeed

Apologies I need to be more precise in what I was getting at: it's not the plywood, per se, that I was concerned about, but that fact that it is just varnished plywood with no tolex or 'carpet' covering to protect it. I can imagine that it would get tatty pretty quickly with normal wear and tear, for anything other than home use.

Edited by Al Krow

You generally don't look to sell on second hand floorboards when you're done with them... obviously if you plan to keep the amp to pass on to your kids as part of their inheritance then it's a non issue. 

Edited by Al Krow

Not true

loads of reclaimed boards out there that are used.

But it is interesting what point external wear in an otherwise perfect piece of equipment massively decreases the value.

Not for this thread though, this needs to stay on point about a nice sounding amp

2 hours ago, Al Krow said:

I was concerned about, but that fact that it is just varnished plywood with no tolex or 'carpet' covering to protect it. I can imagine that it would get tatty pretty quickly with normal wear and tear, for anything other than home use.

A Tolex cover would fix that. In my long ago youth they came standard issue with Fender amps. I wonder if Acus offers one? Probably as a £100 option. 🙄

• Like 2

So that would be just £1,200 for a tolex covered combo with a single 10" speaker.  As someone a lot wiser than me said earlier...

8 hours ago, Bill Fitzmaurice said:

... that's way more than a 1x10 combo is worth, irrespective of the DSP aspects.

Edited by Al Krow

1 hour ago, Jack said:

And yet that's the same kind of price as AER, Schertler and GSS.

I've been very mindful of the several AER Amp One and Amp Three owners who've said "lovely amp, but 200W simply does not cut it with a full band" and this has been the single major reason for moving these on. They're also 10+ year old tech now. The ACUS is at least putting out 350W RMS (per the manual) depending on which of the three inputs your using.

I've seen more than one AER owner switch from the AER to the cheaper CMD121P (300W) and a 12" extension (when required) to get the output up to 500W and the benefit to two 12" speakers - which represents a further increase in volume.

If you can't actually hear the bass, it doesn't matter how refined the amp is. I get that.

If you're spending that kind of money why not get an excellent cab and decent powered amp head to go with it?

If you're desperate for a combo, at least get a 1x12" speaker to go with it; a 1x10" is never going to be enough with a full band.

Anyway I've said my piece so I'll get back in my box now. I'm sure the AERs and ACUS's are lovely amps, but they will never be for me.

Edited by Al Krow

This ACUS One ForBass is a bit unique and not that expensive if you consider the 400 Watts (RMS), the 10" high excursion (which means that it can handle more low end than a conventional 10" speaker and is a well known fact in the high end hi-fi), the 3 independent channels, the built-in reverb effect, the compressor, the notch filter and the ability to be used with an electric bass as well as an EUB or a real double bass. The only other competitors with the same specs are in the same price tag ; the Schertler Lafaro and all AER bass dedicated combos being way much expensiver. The GSS are really cheap, but not powerful : http://www.guitarsoundsystems.com/catalog_gss-bass-and-upright-bass-combos.htm

Take a look here to see which combos Gollihur sells and their prices : https://www.gollihurmusic.com/keyword/2-COMBO_AMPS.html

That said a double bass sounds better with smaller speakers like 8" or 10" (a 15" sounds awful with a double bass and a 12" must be very precise to sound right) and as I wrote I'm looking for something with the same built quality and specs as my AER BassCube v1 (v1 stands for first version with 3 channels, the second generation having only 2), but way much lighter and this ACUS One ForBass meets everything I'm asking for.

Concerning the old technology in AER amps : why change something that is working perfectly and their service is just fantastic. I sent my BassCube to their factory last year and everything that was defective or subject to become defective has been changed for a ridiculous fee and the amp has been upgraded to the last version (are you sure it's an old technology ?) for free !!!

And I was asking if anybody ever tried an ACUS One ForBass to notice that the thread is simply derailing (as often, hélas).

• Like 1

@Hellzero couldn’t agree more, regarding old tech, pretty sure a tube amp is way older......don’t let’s re-open the Watts, RMS, speaker excursion debate

I think it sounds very nice indeed with a great footprint and functionality, multi instrument, multi simultaneous instruments and the ability to pop vocals through.

Please keep us informed if you hear any more about them, or hopefully someone will chip in

• 3 years later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 9 months later...