Why become a member? ×

Drummers who keep changing the beat during the song

walt 2012

2 hours ago, skankdelvar said:

My heart was in my mouth as I sidled into the crowded room wearing nothing more than a smear of lipstick, a tri-lobal posing pouch and a pair of shiny, patent leather dance pumps.

OMG, that was you?? I remember we had a spirited discussion on partialism before adjourning to the orangery for Swarfega and cling-film play. Small world!

• Thanks 1

In my opinion - the best drummers are the ones who watch the bass players fingers and time their drumming strikes to those fingers, and the best bass players are the ones who watch the drummers sticks and time their bass playing to those stick strikes - if you both watch each other then the groove will impress everybody - no need to do anything too fancy.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, brianthebass said:

In my opinion - the best drummers are the ones who watch the bass players fingers and time their drumming strikes to those fingers, and the best bass players are the ones who watch the drummers sticks and time their bass playing to those stick strikes - if you both watch each other then the groove will impress everybody - no need to do anything too fancy.

I give accent ques to our drummer. I'm struggling with him following acknowledging my ques

Blue

Edited by Bluewine
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

I give accent ...

Blue

A raised eyebrow or a diffident nod will scarcely pierce a drummer's mental carapace. You need some energetic back-swing with sufficient movement from the waist that he thinks you're about to head-butt him. The latter may sometimes be necessary so remember to always keep the forehead low.

• Like 1

Best drummer I ever gigged regularly with was an absolutely brilliant player but a complete tool. He once turned up at a wedding reception in a room that we knew was going to be tricky (high ceilings, marble floor, nothing to break up sound at all) with two kick drums and a China ride on either side of him and totally leathered the kit all night. The day we sacked him it was the biggest relief ever. Impossible to work with idiots like that.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bluewine said:

I give accent ques to our drummer. I'm struggling with him following acknowledging my ques

Blue

I've been playing with my drummer for two years. In practice we are constantly making eye contact to follow each other for fills and stuff but it doesn't always work. On gigs he will barely look at me. I played a dep with a different drummer though and found it far more difficult, the guy had better timing but didn't build up to a chorus or bridge or anything which is hard when you're playong unfamiliar material.

The first band I was ever in had a drummer who is hands down the best all round musician I have ever known. He and I could drop out for odd beats and come back in and accent each others playing so easily. It was a band dominated by a guitarist playing huge guitar-w@nk solos so he and I needed to keep ourselves awake somehow!

15 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

I've been playing with my drummer for two years. In practice we are constantly making eye contact to follow each other for fills and stuff but it doesn't always work. On gigs he will barely look at me. I played a dep with a different drummer though and found it far more difficult, the guy had better timing but didn't build up to a chorus or bridge or anything which is hard when you're playong unfamiliar material.

The first band I was ever in had a drummer who is hands down the best all round musician I have ever known. He and I could drop out for odd beats and come back in and accent each others playing so easily. It was a band dominated by a guitarist playing huge guitar-w@nk solos so he and I needed to keep ourselves awake somehow!

I think the whole idea or the importance of the bass player locking in with the drummer is a bass player value.

I don't think it's anything all drummers get or have value for.

Blue

6 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

It was 100 degrees and humid, you must have a towel.

What's a frood?

Blue

It’s from The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy:

“Hey, you sass that hoopy Ford Prefect? There's a frood who really knows where his towel is."
(Sass: know, be aware of, meet,; hoopy: really together guy; frood: really amazingly together guy.)”

In the books, towels are seen as one of the most useful items a hitchhiker can have. World Towel Day is May 25th.

Just to interrupt the sadly-missed DA* lurve, I rarely watch the drummers hands - it's the feet for me...  I'm lucky to have played with a fantastic drummer for a few years now, we rarely have to make eye contact, because I know what he's gonna do, and vice versa. When we have a dep for one night, it can be very hard work readjusting...

* Can you imagine what he'd have to say about the current POTUS? 🙂

23 minutes ago, Muzz said:

Just to interrupt the sadly-missed DA* lurve, I rarely watch the drummers hands - it's the feet for me...  I'm lucky to have played with a fantastic drummer for a few years now, we rarely have to make eye contact, because I know what he's gonna do, and vice versa. When we have a dep for one night, it can be very hard work readjusting...

* Can you imagine what he'd have to say about the current POTUS? 🙂

"Fantastic Drummer" that's key.

Blue