Why become a member? ×

Bass/Amp with the most prominent midrange

kyuuga

So, we all know that there are certain basses & amps that really have their distinct features. For instance, if we were to pair a Fender Precision + a tube Ampeg we'd certainly have a monstrous low end to work with.

My question is: what bass/amp has the most defined midrange? What would you use to get the most agressive/distinct sounding mid-sound? One that not only cuts through a band mix but also sounds amazing? 

I'd personally regard the setup you've outlined above as more "mid" than "low"

most passive basses have pretty pronounced midrange bias - in terms of aggression think Lemmy (Ric through Marshall valve head with mid EQ on max and treble & bass on min.)     For active basses; Warwicks are  known for midrange growl, but of course an active bass and any modern amp will do pretty much any range you want 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, kyuuga said:

So, we all know that there are certain basses & amps that really have their distinct features. For instance, if we were to pair a Fender Precision + a tube Ampeg we'd certainly have a monstrous low end to work with.

My question is: what bass/amp has the most defined midrange? What would you use to get the most agressive/distinct sounding mid-sound? One that not only cuts through a band mix but also sounds amazing? 

The thing is that most basses can do a varied kind of sounds, and so do amps with their EQ controls etc... so I'd argue that almost any bass/amp can be made to sound midrangey and aggressive.

If I had to choose... I'd choose something with a humbucker close to the bridge, and pretty much any amp (the choice of speaker will also play a big role). Many people would argue a Stingray would fit the bill well, or a Sterling... but the fact that they're used to record some decidedly mellow sounds too shows that it's not just the bass but what you do with it. A Precision can sound huge and deep, but can also be an aggressive trebbly clank machine.

Personally I love my mid range and I have ended up with a set up pretty much as described in the posts above, Warwick basses and GK amps and a humbucker near the bridge.

I was very lucky earlier this year when I managed to get my hands on a Warwick $$ Ltd (thanks @Kev)  this thing has Bartolini's instead of the usual MEC humbuckers and a 3 band EQ instead of the usual 2, so the balance goes mostly to the bridge pup, cut a chunk of bass and push the mids up and it just sounds filthy..  love it.

So I would suggest a Warwick with a three band EQ, GK amps do tend to lean towards the mid range from their flat setting... well thats what works for me.

But as said above just about any bass and amp can do what your asking, Steve Harris plays a precision through Trace amps, Geddy Lee plays a Jazz through a Tech 21 Sansamp, you  need to find what will work for you and the sounds your after.

Used to play my Wal (fretless) through a trace GP12SMX with a 15" speaker; ALWAYS had to put a smiley curve on the (12) EQ sliders to get a listenable to sound.  More mid than I could ever quite use.  Even with a very flat response PJB rig, I sometimes turn the "mid" knob down a tad.  I guess it's that bridge positioned $ that does it.

GK through one of the older Schroeder cabs ... ? Trace Elliot maybe too. Stick a bright sounding bass through it too, Warwick or Spector with EMGs? 

I dunno, it’s the exact opposite of what I like - my streamer with active pups into a trace could conceivably combo cut through with so much mids it sounded like a machine gun when I played punk style with fingers. You may like this? 

Put a John East pre into pretty much any bass, and you'll get +15 on a sweepable mid...that'll do it. Ping it through a GK MB and a Schroeder angled cab and you'll have the ability to sound as aggressively middy as you could need...

46 minutes ago, Muzz said:

Put a John East pre into pretty much any bass, and you'll get +15 on a sweepable mid...that'll do it. Ping it through a GK MB and a Schroeder angled cab and you'll have the ability to sound as aggressively middy as you could need...

Funny that you say that because I actually have an OLP MM2 with a Seymour Duncan MM pickup and a John East preamp and I also use a GK MB Fusion 800 and it sounds massive. That's kinda the tone I'm looking to explore a bit more. 

I love my GK amp and I'll probably stick with a Stingray. ;)

I like Stingrays for that mid range punch. Unlike most Stingray owners, I hate scooping the EQ and just boosting Bass and Treble, and I love the 3 band EQ because I can tweak the mid range for finger style playing.

Of all the amps I have had, I would say my old EBS set up had the most thump and clarity to take  Stingray, although my Aguilar does a very good job too these days.

3 hours ago, fretmeister said:

Yup. Eich / Tecamp are very strong in the mids.

It's just annoying that the treble control does absolutely nothing as it is set too high. I still really like my Puma though.

With the tecamp 210 I had it was middy as it wasn’t designed properly so at any sort of volume the bottom end disappeared... 

3 hours ago, fretmeister said:

Yup. Eich / Tecamp are very strong in the mids.

It's just annoying that the treble control does absolutely nothing as it is set too high. I still really like my Puma though.

Can't say I've noticed on the Eich as I leave the treble pretty much at noon.  All I know is that it really cuts through loud and clear 😀