Why become a member? ×

So, just how many basses do you own ????

musicbassman

Currently down to 7.

I have 3 x Fender Precision Lytes - main gig s/b one (permanently down tuned a semitone), white one for all other gigs (standard tuning) and another s/b one as a spare for either of the other two! The first two have the standard jazz pickup replaced with a Fender Noiseless. Also considering turning one into a passive with a new wiring loom. Due to a shoulder injury I'd be lost without these basses, especially for long gigs.

Then I have a 63 P-bass for 'special' gigs. Had this for over 30 years now so a definite keeper.

Washburn AB20 - acoustic electric for my acoustic duo.

Danelectro Longhorn - for country & rootsy gigs. ( At one time I had 3 of these but foolishly sold two, including the blackburst one in my avatar)

Countryman Uke bass - gets used occasionally for country stuff.

I really do miss having a Musicman - had Stingrays for years but due to their weight just couldn't use them. If anyone has an 8lb MM (US Ray or Sterling) they're looking to sell then I'm your man!

Edited by casapete

Currently sitting at four, which is about average for me. I would like to get down to two, a main player and a backup, but every time I sell one, I see something sparkly, that I don't really need, but like a magpie, want and before I know it, I'm back up to four

I'm up to 10 at present (apart from 3 I made or customised all the others) 

Bitsa P bass 4 string

Bitsa J bass 4 string

Bitsa Fenderbird 4 string 

Warwick RB corvette 4 string

Quincy Corvette copy 4 string

Custom NT build (still in the building process) 

Warwick RB corvette 5 string

Custom body bitsa 5 string

Bitsa 5 string P bass (in bits at the moment) 

Custom body bitsa 6 string............ 😀 

Edited by Jimothey

2 hours ago, Al Krow said:

In my case definitely a conscious decision. Playing bass is my passion as I'm guessing it is for everyone on this forum.

Basses are lovely instruments to own and to play. In terms of where my money is spent I can think of far worse things than spending on my main hobby / passion. I largely buy used and in vgc these days and find that, provided I look after them, they hold their value. Each one of mine brings something a little different to the party. 

Oh and I've got 10 (one addition to the herd, as of yesterday :))

4 Yamahas (BB425, BB1025, BB735A, BBNE2)

3 Ibanez (SR1825, SRF705, SR1206)

3 'Other' (Stagg EUB, Schecter Stiletto 8, Squier Bass VI)

True! Certainly less healthy/constructive things to spend on. 

How do you choose which to gig though?! I've just got my Yamaha, so it gets all the attention. 

37 minutes ago, M@23 said:

True! Certainly less healthy/constructive things to spend on. 

How do you choose which to gig though?! I've just got my Yamaha, so it gets all the attention. 

Well actually it's more straight forward than you might think! I hope this doesn't bore you and anyone else reading it too much, but here goes...

The 'other' are all specific and currently just for home use, as are two of the three Ibbys. The BB 425 is out on loan (and as a fyi, I'm more than happy to make this available to any London bassists who fancy a 'proper' try-out of a Yammy BB and are happy to collect / return in person). So the BB1025 is my only purely passive mainstream bass and appeals to the lazy person in me as I don't need to remember to unplug to avoid finding that the battery for the active EQ has been drained! 

So my main workhorse basses are just two. It was previously the BB 1025, but this has just been usurped by the BB 735A which is also P/J configured. 

If I fancy a change of tone and something more throaty / 'aggressive' (and a bit lighter to boot!) I'll reach for my Ibby SR 1825.  Being able to go for a different sound actually keeps both the Yammy and the Ibby 'fresh' for me and not feeling stale.

And finally my BB NE2. Well that's a bit of 'dream bass' for me and gets more admiring compliments (and offers to buy!) from fellow BC'ers than the rest of my herd put together! I'm sure it will get an outing or two to a wedding gig later this year :) 

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, M@23 said:

Why do people have so many?! Is it a conscious decision, or something that just happened over time?

I find it hard to sell things, it's a bit easier to give them away to someone you know will feed and care for them 🙂

I feel musical instruments are very special things, because they have a voice and also they are very tactile, like well-loved tools only more so.

Sometimes they have great personal meaning - like my Epiphone acoustic I saw in a secondhand shop and paid for by my parents as a 21st birthday present.

Hah! Typing this made me want to go and play my violin - I had a go at 'John Barleycorn' and it was so bad I just gave up.

• Like 1

The why so many thing.

I have gone through phases in 38 years of playing, mainly circling around Fender-esque designs, Jazz-is neck.  Always loved the sound of a stingray and have have owned a number of those over the years, selling when I didn't use it much..regretting it and buying again. So I have a p bass, a Jazz bass a couple of stingrays (2 and 3 band) a Warwick, a 5 string and a fretless I hardly touch but love it all the same.  I have owned some weird and wonderful beasts, and Ibanez eda905 for example..bonkers. It has been and still is fun.  For some its a one bass fits all game and power to them if it makes them happy.   Some gigs I fancy a no nonsense no batteries no hassle beast of burden so p bass ...natch.  Other night active and so on.    All part of the party, shame the death of the second hand market at the moment has pull the handbrake on.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, M@23 said:

Why do people have so many?! Is it a conscious decision, or something that just happened over time? 

It wasn't a conscious decision on my part - I was really close to selling my one remaining bass not that long ago. Instead I spotted something on eBay that I thought was cheap for what it was, then another on Gumtree and it all spiralled out of control!

I've just moved so this is what they look like now...15544881939398736084391890535980.thumb.jpg.6dfcc492c8a270d40eed46ecd4d20b9f.jpg

10 minutes ago, PJ-Bassist said:

Did you move so you'd have more room for your basses?

I split up with my Mrs, but every cloud and all that - my new music room is a bit bigger!

Edit - there's another five in my utility room which are all for sale 😉

Edited by BreadBin

Funnily enough, I had my 5 guitar (£15) stand delivered today:

WP_20190405_19_36_41_Pro.thumb.jpg.7ec55eb161b97ea38384799ffc257cbb.jpg

From R to L - a black J and a P and a Ric' (obviously).

Never mind the blue shortscale J (I might give that to the kid next door), or the Fender acoustic (I am not a folkie!).

And never mind what may or may not be behind and/or under various sofas.

Therefore I have space for a couple more! 😀

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ricky 4000 said:

Funnily enough, I had my 5 guitar (£15) stand delivered today:

WP_20190405_19_36_41_Pro.thumb.jpg.7ec55eb161b97ea38384799ffc257cbb.jpg

From R to L - a black J and a P and a Ric' (obviously).

Never mind the blue shortscale J (I might give that to the kid next door), or the Fender acoustic (I am not a folkie!).

And never mind what may or may not be behind and/or under various sofas.

Therefore I have space for a couple more! 😀

I just knew you had a Ric for some reason. Couldn't quite put my finger on why :laugh1:

Should you not have had them facing the camera or are they shy xD

Dave

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

I just knew you had a Ric for some reason. Couldn't quite put my finger on why :laugh1:

Should you not have had them facing the camera or are they shy xD

Dave

That's the view from where I'm sitting! 😃

Hang on, here's one I took earlier:

WP_20190405_16_36_45_Pro.thumb.jpg.e341c80f941147cdbf8b5827ef0eabe7.jpg

12 minutes ago, Ricky 4000 said:

That's the view from where I'm sitting! 😃

Hang on, here's one I took earlier:

WP_20190405_16_36_45_Pro.thumb.jpg.e341c80f941147cdbf8b5827ef0eabe7.jpg

What Ric version is it. ? Not seen one like that before with single pick-up.

Jazz looks interesting too.

Dave

26 minutes ago, BreadBin said:

What the hell is that monstrosity Trav?

60’s/70’s thing...via a mate

13 minutes ago, BassTractor said:

Er... you like and want only the D and G strings? 😉

How it was delivered. Suspect it’s been in a cupboard for years. And I think there are d&g strings on it 🤮

Edited by AndyTravis