Why become a member? ×

So, just how many basses do you own ????

musicbassman

I have an update, with photo and list. 

DSC_0039_1.thumb.JPG.f32b46d46c917528a8c71fa2bfa514dd.JPG

BC Rich Zombie NT

Kay KJP-1B (I think!) 1969

Stagg semi-acoustic guitar

Washburn RB-2002 Hammerhead 

Hohner B-bass IV

Allen Eden Jazz 

Fender MIJ Jazz Bass Special 1985

Ibanez P bass 1972/73ish

Tenson Jumbo electro-acoustic

Vintage V940 Active Bubinga fretless 

Retrovibe Zygote 

Peavey International Series 

P bass eBay special bitsa

Yamaha RBX765A (the only bass I really need!)

Vintage Les Paul guitar 

Encore Strat copy

Johnson Strat copy

Washburn ABT B10/B20 hybrid 

Washburn ABT B20

Unknown P/J thing that weighs as much as the moon!

Spector Q5 Pro

SGC Nanyo Bass Collection fretless 

Harley Benton Progressive 5 fretless 

Hohner B2AV 

I make that 20 bass and 4 electric guitars. 

Marco Elwray's Infinga 4 and a mate's Hohner B2A are also in shot, but aren't mine. 

• Like 1

I’m thinking I have enough now, maybe even one too many for now. I’ll never be shot of the JV. It’s perfect!

The black bitsa needs some tweaks but I feel will be a great player once the nut is done.

My new headless is so comfortable to play, and is conveniently small and light!

Th lovely blue HB originally done by @yorks5stringer is possibly going to be on the bench a bit more these days. Hmm. Could put a Stingray pickup in and make it a bit uniquerer?

23AA466E-7E0B-4A96-9432-362700393C3A.jpeg

F70B91DA-6059-44D3-9CD9-A12C70C07777.jpeg

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Paddy515 said:

Interested what you say regarding your Fender Squier P-bass Special with the Jazz width neck. Did all these with the Standard Series logos have US pups or had the one you aquired had a swap-out?

My understanding is that the P Specials with the Standard logo were built with USA pickups.

• Like 1

I have fewer basses at the moment than I have had for years.

2 x JV Squier Precison 4 stringers.  One of those is for sale so doesn't count :) 

Jake 5

Heavily modded MM Sterling 5

Yamaha BX-5

Fender MB-5

Bolin NS5 de-fretted

Stagg EUB, modded

Dean Pace 5 EUB - probably on its way soon as I prefer the Stagg, so I guess that doesn't count either.

A nice Kanile'a Islander Pako ukulele bass - but I hardly use that so that doesn't count.

So, ahem, just seven.  

Like @cetera there's been a couple of changes since August.

Peaveys are 

Aberdeen electro-acoustic.  Axcelerator 4 & 5 string

B-90,  B-Quad

Cirrus in teal,walnut and the 34" scale bolt on version. Also 34" scale BXP model

Dynabass.

Forum, Foundation-S, fretless Foundation, 4 & 5 string with the later pickup, 2 Foundation with super ferrites. Foudation bitsa (humbucker 2 Vol,1 Tone)

Furys 1st,2nd and 3rd generation models. Fury II from Korea.

G-bass. Grinds are BXP neck thru,USA bolt on 5 string,BXP bolt on active 4 string

International 4 string.

Midibase, Millennium Plus,Millennium standard,Millennium BXP.

Palaedium,Patriot

Randy Jackson IV (redburst), Resolite prototype,  RSB

Sarzo

T 40 with blades,T-40 with toaster,T-40 5 string conversion,T-40 active mod. T-45, T-20. 1st & 2nd generation TL-5s, TL-6. Tragic PXD

Unity, Dynabass/Unity series,Dynabass/Unity series Koa

Void PXD

Zephyr 5 (modded to active,Wilkinson hardware,Warman pickups). Zodiac EXP, Zodiac DE Scorpio (Entwistle Neo PJs), Zodiac DE Scorpio (stock Duncan Basslines) 

Others are

4 Harley Benton PB-50s (2 with Herrick pickups,1 with Jess Loueiro split coil,1 with Peavey super ferrite)

3 Tunes. fretless Maniac,Maniac,TW-4z. 2 Wishbass Lobes

Gordy Blueshift II. Retrovibe Super-P

Bass Collection 310. Revelation RPBX

Vigier Passion. Wilson Sapphire

Cort Curbow. Bitsa Telecaster bass.

Briefly reached number 74 but back down to 72. Keep 25 near to hand on living-room, 6 are under the bed,5 are in a cupboard. Other 36 are stored in racks in the spare room.

• Like 2

Four here. A sadowsky metro hpj, a '93 Ray, a 2010 4hh stingray and a bongo 5hh stealth. 

The sadowsky is my main gigging bass, the others don't get used so much. I can't sell the two rays as one was my childhood bass and the other is my wife's wedding present to me. The bongo is amazing but doesn't look right for the music we play, but if we start playing more songs that need the B, then I think I'll get over that and start gigging the beast. 

There's room for a five string jazz, then I'm done, with all basses covered! 

Looking around...

The 1966 EB2 with my son in Nashville doesn't count.

The cheap Encore P in my office doesn't count. 

The Jazz+V and Warwick Thumb 6 on sale for commission in my local guitar shop don't count. 

The GMR single cut 5 in my BL's house doesn't count. 

That leaves six -

GMR 5 - my first and still true love and main squeeze

GMR fretless 4 - with flat-wounds, can sound almost like a sitar when I want it to

Fender Jazz Aerodyne 2002 - gorgeous, I gig this to watch peoples' eyes come out on stalks, as well as how good it sounds 

Ibanez 1406 - in serious danger of becoming my main squeeze

Martin Kelly acoustic Club 5 - the wood grain is a work of art and sound is wonderful

Martin Kelly acoustic Dragonfly fretless 5 - as above and silver-shimmers with flats 

All of these have been gigged except for the Ibby which will be at our next gig 🙂 

Happy cat 🙂 

Edited by josie
  • Like 1

I own 3. My first was a Hofner copy which is stored at my sister's place in Ontario. My next was a Gibson Ripper, which after 43 years of playing was retired last year. Now I have a Burns Bison,, totally love it even tho when holding it normally I cant quite reach the "G" string tuning key with my short arm(s), lol. 

• Like 1

On 23/10/2018 at 14:16, Bigwan said:

Holy free holy! 70! I thought I was bad with 13...ish...! Must try harder...

1. ACG Custom 4
2. ACG Custom 5
3. Fender USA P
4. Squier CV P
5. Aria Pro 2 MAB20/5
6. Yamaha RBX270F fretless
7. Kala Ubass
8. Harley Benton Uke bass
9. Tanglewood Bass Master Funk
10. Bitsa P (currently in bits...)
11. Antoria 335 shaped semi hollow thing (with frets ripped out...)
12. Tokai Thunderbird (badly in need of a refret)
13. Non name acoustic bass (if I can play a song on this I can play it on anything!)
13 1/2. Bits P 2 (or rather all the bits for another bitsa, in need of painting and assembly...)

Actually, now I come to think about it I forgot I also have an Ibanez ATK700 in bits at the minute too, so 14.5... But that's definitely it. No more...

Well, this thread just keeps on running...

As OP,  I stated I own just ONE - that still applies. A much loved active PJ.

I play all styles - fingers, pick, slap, thumb, so technique combined with pup choice and EQ means I can get a huge range of sounds from just this one bass.

What really puzzles me is how someone can change from one bass to another without taking a good period of time to get used to it - especially from four to five?

Maybe someone can enlighten me.  :sad:

3 hours ago, musicbassman said:

What really puzzles me is how someone can change from one bass to another without taking a good period of time to get used to it - especially from four to five?

I change all the time, it's not a problem for me. 4 or 5 strings, frets or fretless I am equally ham-fisted on all of them! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, musicbassman said:

...What really puzzles me is how someone can change from one bass to another without taking a good period of time to get used to it - especially from four to five?

It's maybe a question of virtuosity, or lack of it..? For the stuff I play, the physics of the instrument are of little consequence, as that's not what prevents me from being any good..! Fat neck, thin neck, string spacing and/or number... I'm not likely to be putting any pressure on Stanley Clark any time soon; they all get played with a similar degree of incompetence. As I play guitar as often as bass, I've always been used to not getting locked in to any particular configuration. Downsides..? Certainly, but far greater freedom to being able to play (modestly...) pretty well any bass, or guitar. I would have more issues swapping drum kits, though, as I've always played mine, pretty much exclusively, for fifty years or so. S'what one is used to, s'all, I reckon.

• Like 1