Why become a member? ×

So, just how many basses do you own ????

musicbassman

21 minutes ago, discreet said:

They certainly have a great rep both here and elsewhere. I really like the look of the white one with the maple neck, albeit an earlier model. For around £250 it must surely be a bargain. GAS!

Well worth it for that price, there was a newer model the same as mine on ebay recently for 200quid.

1 minute ago, dmccombe7 said:

I'm guessing you have a string sponsor as well to look after your needs in there. xD

Dave

When you have this many basses you don't get through strings so quickly, so after the initial investment on a set per bass the replacements are fewer and further between! Strings going dead? Pick up a different bass! lol! 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

18 minutes ago, cetera said:

When you have this many basses you don't get through strings so quickly, so after the initial investment on a set per bass the replacements are fewer and further between! Strings going dead? Pick up a different bass! lol! 😂

Nice one :laugh1:

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, cetera said:

You can boost the treble and ignore dead(ish) strings. What does bug me is fitting a new battery, when you know you've scarcely played that bass since you last fitted a new battery.

I currently have 5 basses, 4 US Precisions (2012-15 Series) and a Vintage Tony Butler V4 Precision. I like to have two gigging Precisions, plus my TB V4 as backup, and a home-use Precision. That leaves me with one surplus Precision and ideally I`d like a Jazz Bass in its place but history has shown that I move them on pretty quickly.

On 03/08/2018 at 23:00, BrunoBass said:

I have four. Two are self builds. The other two are ‘proper’ basses and both get gigged regularly. 

Four nearly became five this week, but I had a word with myself and convinced myself that I didn’t really need it. 

The finance agreement on one of my basses ends at Christmas. I think number five will arrive shortly after, depending on what I fancy.

Ok make that five...

• Haha 4

22 hours ago, Wolverinebass said:

Maybe not a massive collection, but I think I'm done now. So, here we go:

1. Fenix by Young Chang (short scale)

2. Alembic Stanley Clarke Signature Standard

3. Status Graphite John Entwistle Buzzard

4. Warmoth 8 string Explorer

5. Hamer Chapparal 12 string

6. Eko Florence acoustic

7. Wal Mark 2

8. Fender Classic 50s Precision

9. Rickenbacker 4003

When did that Rick appear? Did I just completely miss that whilst I was being completely blind-sided by your Alembic, Warmoth, Hamer and Wal?! 😂

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

When did that Rick appear? Did I just completely miss that whilst I was being completely blind-sided by your Alembic, Warmoth, Hamer and Wal?! 😂

Not at all. I only got it a few weeks ago just for fun really. Aside from the fact the bridge is total garbage, it's really good. You're welcome to pop over if you want once I get my new cab sorted.

IMAG0229.jpg

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Wolverinebass said:

Not at all. I only got it a few weeks ago just for fun really. Aside from the fact the bridge is total garbage, it's really good. You're welcome to pop over if you want once I get my new cab sorted.

IMAG0229.jpg

I just love the fact that you got yourself a "spare" 4003 to muck about on 😂

And still slightly tickled that the end result of me playing a Wal and you playing through my Vanderkley cab is that you're getting a Vanderkley! 😂😂😂

I was once asked if I got to keep the kit I reviewed in the magazine. Wow, that would be pretty cool.. but I suppose that would have been basses numbering over 100. Sadly the answer to that question is no. Which is a shame as some have been absolutely and utterly stunning. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

I just love the fact that you got yourself a "spare" 4003 to muck about on 😂

And still slightly tickled that the end result of me playing a Wal and you playing through my Vanderkley cab is that you're getting a Vanderkley! 😂😂😂

Yeah, but you haven't bought a Wal yet!

3 hours ago, dood said:

I was once asked if I got to keep the kit I reviewed in the magazine. Wow, that would be pretty cool.. but I suppose that would have been basses numbering over 100. Sadly the answer to that question is no. Which is a shame as some have been absolutely and utterly stunning. 

Do you have a top five that you wish you could have kept?

Three: one EUB, one fretless four, and a recent acquisition that actually even has frets, for the first time in 35 years. It's also my first five string bass to boot. Only got that one for testing onboard preamp builds, but it's been getting played quite a bit more than the ancient fretless four I sold off to make room for it was. I have one electric guitar as well, same one for about 20 years or so. I don't really get much GAS for instruments.

ha ha viz most of you fellas, just one of your basses costs more than my entire collection of 6. I've never spent more than around £400 on a bass and even new none of my collection tops £500. I'm gonna be whittling down to just my Cort B4FL and GB74. 2 of my 3 electric guitars are going to, leaving me with just an Epi Sheraton II.  My days of GAS are well and truly gone.

On 08/08/2018 at 10:45, cetera said:

My Spector NS2's get a lot of love - they just feel and sound perfect to me.

I agree. Would you like to donate one to the South London Spector Project? It's a very worthy charity that supplies Spector NS2s to disadvantaged, overweight and unemployable 50-something men who suffer from bass guitar GAS in Forest Hill, SE London.

One of the white ones would be nice. Thanks. :biggrin:

• Haha 2

Thought I'd try a panoramic of the Bass Room. This shows the 7 I'd say are my "current crop"

lFKKo6w.jpg

L-R -> 64 Precision, Partscaster PJ, ACG Finn 4, 51P Partscaster with OCP Ric-o-like, Ibanez Semi, 51 Semi Hollow Partscaster, 74 Precision.

I have a 62 AVRI P for sale in it's case, and the bits for the current partscaster P project..

Edited by Bridgehouse
  • Like 1

A year ago, I would have said I have two gigging basses:

Sire V7 5 string

NS Design NXT5

I then have the following around the house:

Squier P5 with Wizard J pups - Sire's predecessor - now on permanent loan to a mate's son

Squier P5 with EMG P6/J set

Squier JV Jazz - my first proper bass and will never (hopefully have to) sell

Harley Benton 5 string Acoustic

Cheapo G4M double bass

Unfortunately, due to sickness, none of them are currently gigging basses 😢

Oh, and I'm a technology manager who always dreamed of going pro but never had the balls or talent to do it full time....

I have 5 of the things.

My pair of 6 stringers which take up 90% of my attention

My fiver which I really ought to play more often, it just feels so nice to play

A cheap P-bass clone, my first bass, which I sometimes play but should probably depart with at some point

And a double humbucker purple thing which currently has no strings on. My excuse is that if I stick some new p'ups in it, it'll sound sweet (in my mind, at least 😆), so I just call it my "project bass" when the S.O asks

This seems to be the sweet spot for me, sufficient to deflect any bass GAS I've come across so far (doesn't help with pedal GAS though, I don't think anything could!)