Why become a member? ×

So, just how many basses do you own ????

musicbassman

I have 4 at the moment, my two Warwicks my go to Corvette $$ Ltd and my back up Standard Corvette. An old Shergold and a 1980 somthing MIM Fender Jazz, that I have not even looked at for at least 10 years.

Then 9 guitars, two Ukulele's, two Pianos, two keyboards and a violin.

Currently four - visited Bass Direct last week and traded three basses for a Dingwall ABZ4 - not quite sure how we're getting on so far - fanned frets aren't a problem, but the four way selector is proving to be... odd. Also got a Sterling Ray 34 that came secondhand from Andertons - trans white and it arrived the day before my visit so never even made it to the website - lucked out on that one as it's wonderful!  There's a Hudson PB5 that is waiting for some TLC on the fretboard and, last but by no means least, a Bass Collection SB100 in metallic purple that used to belong to The Greek and which is the only one that's not on the "might sell this" list. Max I've had at one time was seven, four still feels like too many.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Muzz said:

Just as an off-topic aside, I replaced the four-position switch in my ABZ4 with a John East U-Retro preamp. Works a treat, but then I'm a big fan of East preamps... 🙂

Not to derail too far... I'll take a look, thanks :D

4 here and have been for a little while: One each of Fender P and Jazz 4 stringers. I never play the Jazz, but it is a Jazz and one must always own a Jazz and a P together. Dingwall Combustion 5, rarely played but good to have and my daily Roscoe Century Signature V, 

3 hours ago, musicbassman said:

54!  Jeez, that's a roomful. Think we have a winner here, but not sure what the prize is - a larger house maybe..

Are they kept cased or do you have them all tastefully arranged on display ?  Got pictures?

Things were cramped in the old house so wall hangers and racks were used,the new place is much bigger 🙂

4 x racks of 7 + 10 tripod stands in the living room, 2 are kept propped against the couch within arm's reach. Spare room hosts another 4 x 7 racks,basses unused for ages like my Curbow,Dano and Bass Collection live in gigbags in the wee cupboard. 

Only 51 Peaveys in this photo. I blame the double bass 😄

3 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

Prize is a bass😀

Happened at Xmas, Wunjos kindly swapped the Sub by SBMM for a GK Plex instead.

Peavey 51 club .jpg

• Like 6
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

I’m on 7 currently. But that’s it, no more, am on a very strict, self imposed ‘one in, one out’ now :)

1 - Lakland Skyline 44-64

2 - Lakland Skyline 55-01

3 - Lakland US 44-94

4 - 1971 Fender Precision

5 - Fender Mustang

6 - ACG Krell 6

7 - Bass Collection Jive fretless

Si

Edited by Sibob

I have two bass guitars.

My old (12 years) Tanglewood copy of the Hofner Violin bass was resigned to its case when I bought a Chowny SWB-1 earlier this year.  The Chowny is currently being "set-up" by a local guitar mechanic so the Tanglewood is back in use.  I can't believe how light the violin bass is compared to the Chowny.  I think the cardboard packaging the Chowny came it weighed more than the Tanglewood!

They are both 4 string and, as a previous poster mentioned, I generally play the bottom two strings most (the E and A strings).  However, a couple of songs I am required to play feature a D below the low E.  I just play a "normal" D on the A string - which works - but maybe a 5 string will be needed!

Is it wrong that I don't actually know? 

They are in various places, some in our rehearsal room, some in my man cave, some in pieces awaiting fun projects, some in the living room and some in the dining room. From where I'm sat I can see nine. The thing is two are ukes, fretted and fretless, two are full sizes acoustics, fretted and fretless, acoustic db, eub, fours, a five, short scale long scale, bass vi and so on, all very different from each other. The silly thing is my main gigging electric bass is a Variax which has most of my other basses included in it :D

My family don't go without, all the bills get paid and we don't particularly want or need anything we haven't got, so it's no biggy keeping them all, it's my hobby. If hard times came knocking I'd just sell most of them.

:) 

Edited by Maude
  • Like 2

I have four. Two are self builds. The other two are ‘proper’ basses and both get gigged regularly. 

Four nearly became five this week, but I had a word with myself and convinced myself that I didn’t really need it. 

The finance agreement on one of my basses ends at Christmas. I think number five will arrive shortly after, depending on what I fancy.

Edited by BrunoBass

Over the years, I've owned around 200 basses (I have a list somewhere)...

Now, I only have 10.5 as my new Leduc U-Basse 6 Fretless is under construction :

Berne Harpobasse 4,

Byl Custom 6,

Esh Impact 6,

Leduc Contr-U-Basse 6 L-009 Moaï,

Leduc Masterpiece MP 628 SF,

Leduc PAD 6,

Leduc U-Basse UMM6,

MTD 635-24 Fretless,

Status Electro 4 Fretless,

Warrior DM7 Signature Custom.

Six basses must go : guess which ones. 🤔

5 hours ago, kodiakblair said:

Things were cramped in the old house so wall hangers and racks were used,the new place is much bigger 🙂

4 x racks of 7 + 10 tripod stands in the living room, 2 are kept propped against the couch within arm's reach. Spare room hosts another 4 x 7 racks,basses unused for ages like my Curbow,Dano and Bass Collection live in gigbags in the wee cupboard. 

Only 51 Peaveys in this photo. I blame the double bass 😄

Happened at Xmas, Wunjos kindly swapped the Sub by SBMM for a GK Plex instead.

Peavey 51 club .jpg

Wow.... I thought I had issues with 7... I’ve now showed the missus how our spare room is going to look based on your photos..... apparently that’s where I’m now sleeping! 😩

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

How many I have depends upon whether they are included in the tally or not.

The basses I use at the moment are 5 strings - my main one, another main one, a back up, an office one.  So four.

I have two 4 string basses up for sale so they don't count.  That leaves me with just one other 4 string I am keeping, but because I play 5 strings that doesn't count either, really.

Other, 'niche' basses that I have but don't use routinely - so don't count - are a Stag EUB, uke bass, fretless 5er, so that's three more not included in the reckoning.

But if you were being picky it could be ten.  Which is actually less than it has been for many years - changing to 5 strings seems to have curbed my GAS to a degree.  Although to be fair it is more about limited choices than any lack of desire on my part :) 

I've got the bare minimum

Fender P MIA w flats

Fender P MIM rounds

Fender Jazz MIM flats

SX Jazz rounds

Takamine Acoustic Bass

I had an SX shorty P that I donated to my guitarists kids

40 basses, thats $2,000 worth of strings, minimum  (at Oz prices anyway)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, BreadBin said:

I currently have 19, but would let at least 7 go. I have 4 guitars too, although that's at least one too many! 

Its true to say that I could let some of my guitars go, as I virtually never play guitar. But honestly I am not even sure where some of them are. I can see 4 when I walk around. Not sure where the other 6 or so are.