Why become a member? ×

So, just how many basses do you own ????

musicbassman

I own 3 basses.The only piece of gear I own that doesn't pay its way is the P bass, that bought new in 1969. Everything else is here to work. The other 2 (PJ5 and J5) are my go-to basses.

If I find a better bass than the one I'm using I'll buy it and the old one either gets sold or becomes the backup. If the new go-to bass doesn't work out I'll sell it and go back to the old one.

I'm not a collector.

I only have 4.

A USA Fender Precision which I bought new about 6 years ago which lives in its case and rarely comes out.

A Stingray SUB

Two more Precisions, a Mexican Standard and a bitsa which I fitted with Rotosound Tru Bass Black nylons and Seymour Duncan SPB1 pick ups for a vintage old school tone.

Oh, and two acoustic 6 string guitars.

Edited by Hobbayne

32 minutes ago, Zalastar said:

I'm relatively new to bass and own 1, if I ever find any music that requires notes that aren't on that one I'll buy another 😊

Haha, so if you ever need to play a low C or D below the bottom E? I have heard some bass players stray that far...

Just teasing... a 4 string bass (I'm making an assumption that is what you have?) is just fine.

...That is until you decide you want to try out a fretless, a P as well as a J, a 5 string and (god forbid!) a six string or and 8 or 12 string(!) and then stray into playing EUB, and then you buy yourself that dream bass to celebrate your band getting its first function gig. 

If you carry on playing bass and love it and manage to stick to just one, we'll you're a better man than me :)

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm up to a personal best of three at the moment, having dropped down to zero earlier this year. I've got a Stingray, a Jazz and a Westone Thunder which I'd like to soon supplant with a Precision to complete that Leo Fender trinity thing. I know I only need one bass, but I reminisce about all the basses I've sold over the years (usually because I was skint). Fortunes dictate that I am allowed to collect... for the time being. I'll sell them all eventually with the usual tinge of regret.

Edited by Shambo
spelling
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Haha, so if you ever need to play a low C or D below the bottom E? I have heard some bass players stray that far...

Just teasing... a 4 string bass (I'm making an assumption that is what you have?) is just fine.

...That is until you decide you want to try out a fretless, a P as well as a J, a 5 string and (god forbid!) a six string or and 8 or 12 string(!) and then stray into playing EUB, and then you buy yourself that dream bass to celebrate your band getting its first function gig. 

If you carry on playing bass and love it and manage to stick to just one, we'll you're a better man than me :)

Yup, 4 strings.. of which I use 2 so far

In all honesty I am blocking out GAS, I've been on the shiny treadmill before when I played drums and have this time round decided that 1 bass is more than enough to learn on. I have a habit of spending more time looking for the next 'thing' that will make me great than learning the next skill that will be a small step towards proficiency. So although tongue in cheek the original quote is relatively accurate for me. When I can play all the notes on this one I'll look at another one......

That doesn't stop me looking at all the cool shiny stuff out there and thinking, hmmm will a fender make me great 😂  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, martthebass said:

Just managed to get back down to 5.

2 Mustangs for gigs (a main and a backup); a fretted Ray for Jamnights, a fretless Ray for noodling and a Ric 4003 for fun/wall hanging. 

Back down to 5 from what?? 😎

20 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Can I plead the Fifth?

Only if you have 5.

22 minutes ago, Zalastar said:

Yup, 4 strings.. of which I use 2 so far

In all honesty I am blocking out GAS, I've been on the shiny treadmill before when I played drums and have this time round decided that 1 bass is more than enough to learn on. 

I have a habit of spending more time looking for the next 'thing' that will make me great than learning the next skill that will be a small step towards proficiency. So although tongue in cheek the original quote is relatively accurate for me. When I can play all the notes on this one I'll look at another one......

That doesn't stop me looking at all the cool shiny stuff out there and thinking, hmmm will a fender make me great 😂  

A very sensible approach and total respect that you're a proficient drummer as well!

In relation to your final Q "will a Fender make you great?" I think the correct answer to that has to be "only if you play it very well (and then only if you're surrounded by equally capable musicians)" 😜

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shambo said:

...having dropped down to zero earlier this year.

And I hope you deleted your Basschat account during that period! 😅

My tally is 3 electrics and 2 electro-acoustics. Hopefully a WingBass will be added to the stable late this year/early next year.

Edited by CameronJ

Two electric basses (66 Jazz and a Marcus Miller jazz), two upright basses (60s Artia and a Bryant Soloist bass), three electric guitars (late 80s PRS, BB King Epiphone and US Strat).

I"ve played none of them this week because my house is a building site.  

• Like 1

Got 54 Peavey basses,at least one of every model but not every variation within each series. That's definitely classed as a collection and it's fairly well known among Peavey people. Because of that I get messages from folks all over looking for info or advice,sometimes I put buyers/sellers in touch.

Mostly found playing a Harley Benton PB-50 😉

• Like 9