Why become a member? ×

Does anyone remember Jim Tavaré's stand up routine with his double bass?

I did.  I couldn't believe what had happened to him since I saw him though.  He's recovered from a really nasty car accident in the 'States which almost completely severed his left hand.  Although he was told it would be useless and like a table tennis bat following reattachment he recovered what looks like good movement and function.  That was just one of the injuries.  He also broke his neck and recovered from that well enough to be sat up and apparently fully mobile on the BBC News feature this morning.

I don't know if he plays the DB any more but I'd like to find out.

He's doing the Edinburgh Festival with a show that he wrote during his eighteen month stay in a hospital bed with over a half a million dollar medical bill to bear.  He says of the show; if people don't like the jokes there is the story of his accident and subsequent experiences.

Jim Tavaré: From Deadpan to Bedpan

" In 2017 comedian Jim Tavaré (BAFTA Award-winner, Harry Potter actor and double bassist) was involved in a near fatal head-on automobile collision in Los Angeles. Returning to the Fringe for the first time in 20 years, he tells the story of how a quick trip to the shops changed his life forever. One comedian, one dog and a DIY disaster. 'One of the funniest and most original performers around.' (Independent). 'Fresh, funny and imaginative.' (Guardian). 'As dry as a critic’s mouth in the morning' (List)."

I watched the BBC feature this morning, it was quite a shock and very sad. 

Back in the 90's, I worked with Jim quite a bit. I was in the side band that would back him on CSE (armed forces shows) in various obscure places around the World. Extremely witty and funny man, with a great imagination. He was very serious about his music. 

• Like 2

I also knew Jim slightly in the early 90's, as I composed some music for his (then) wife(?) Alison Edgar's one-woman show about the Shakers. Lovely bloke, and I'm very sorry to hear about his accident. I remember embarrassing myself trying to play rounders on Clapham common with the two of them and a bunch of other people one weekend. Happy days. Hope his new show is a great success.

Edited by Earbrass
  • Like 1

Well I just saw Jim’s show last night at the Edinburgh fringe and had no prior knowledge of his misfortune. We had seen that he was on and remembered him from about 25 years ago.

The show was witty, enlightening, shocking and poignant and yes, I did laugh out loud quite a lot as he said to me on the way out.

He can’t play at the moment- still working on making a fist with his left hand but ‘Bessie’ the bass does make an appearance on screen. 

His recovery, whilst nowhere near complete, is nothing short of remarkable so if your going to Edinburgh for the festival, turn up and give the man some well deserved support.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, EMG456 said:

Well I just saw Jim’s show last night at the Edinburgh fringe and had no prior knowledge of his misfortune. We had seen that he was on and remembered him from about 25 years ago.

The show was witty, enlightening, shocking and poignant and yes, I did laugh out loud quite a lot as he said to me on the way out.

He can’t play at the moment- still working on making a fist with his left hand but ‘Bessie’ the bass does make an appearance on screen. 

His recovery, whilst nowhere near complete, is nothing short of remarkable so if your going to Edinburgh for the festival, turn up and give the man some well deserved support.

Thanks for the update.

I'm encouraged to hear that he's still working towards a full recovery.  It is remarkable how well he has done so far given the poor prognosis early on.

You got singled out for laughing?  Cool.

If you're reading this Jim, you have my admiration for getting back on the road, as it were.  Best wishes for that full recovery.