Why become a member? ×

Focusrite iTrack Dock and Garageband - playback issues

BrunoBass

I recently got myself a Focusrite iTrack Dock, for recording song sketches onto my iPad mini. Everything works well and the Dock does exactly what I hoped it would do, ie allow me to get ideas down quickly. 

I like GarageBand for this kind of thing; it’s compatible with the Dock and I’ve managed to be very productive in the week or two I’ve had it. The problem I have though occurs on playback. The recordings sound, I’m not sure quite how to describe it, wobbly. The closest thing I can compare it to is when a vinyl record is slightly off centre, and the oval as opposed to circular rotation causes the sound to vary slightly in pitch. The effect is almost imperceptible on playing back my recordings but it’s there nonetheless and it’s very annoying! 

I tried recording with Focusrite’s ‘Tape’ app using the Dock and it plays back with no problem. Recording on Garageband without the Dock and using the iPad’s internal mic or line in via a Tascam USB interface is fine too. So I’m assuming it’s some kind of compatibility issue between the Dock and GarageBand. The iPad incidentally is running the most recent IOS. Any ideas?  

Edited by BrunoBass

5 hours ago, BrunoBass said:

Ok I think I’ve figured this out...

Would be interested to know what you concluded?

The Dock is simply an interface between your instrument and the iPad, it’s class compliant with iOS, no drivers etc, so there is no ‘compatibility’ issues.....something else will be at play I suspect.

Worst case, have a word with Tech support on Monday (or on livechat now until about 1am uk time).

Cheers

Si // Focusrite Media Relations 

Hi @Sibob, I’m really pleased with the Dock. 

The issue was with GarageBand itself; since I last updated the app they’ve added a pitch correction feature which is on by default when recording via a microphone. The pitch correction was trying to straighten out anything that wasn’t quite where it thought it should be, hence the effect described above. I’ve disabled it now and all is good, minor tuning issues aside! 

14 minutes ago, BrunoBass said:

Hi @Sibob, I’m really pleased with the Dock. 

The issue was with GarageBand itself; since I last updated the app they’ve added a pitch correction feature which is on by default when recording via a microphone. The pitch correction was trying to straighten out anything that wasn’t quite where it thought it should be, hence the effect described above. I’ve disabled it now and all is good, minor tuning issues aside! 

Well worth knowing! Cheers for that, glad you’re enjoying the dock!

Si

• Like 1