Why become a member? ×

New 5 string bass

brianthebass

Hiya all - I have been playing 4 string basses professionally for many years and a while back started on a 5 string to enjoy the extra low notes. Once I came to terms with the fact that it is a completely different instrument and that the B string feels like something that should tether a ship I re-learned all my shapes and key positions and, after about a years practice, I have come to think of the 5 string as my main instrument - the 5 string I have is a competent but inexpensive 2nd hand model and I am now thinking of buying new and am looking for some input from 5 string bass players out there - I have a decent budget and my preference is for something relatively light in weight as my rock band regularly plays 2 x 1hr+ sets - also I favour a thin neck between the fingers and thumb on my left(fretboard) hand to enable me to traverse the frets quickly. My Genre is rock from the likes of Led Zep, Floyd, Black Sabbath, Aerosmith, AC DC, ZZ Top, Dr Feelgood etc and we play around 50 gigs a year through a full touring PA - my own rig is a vintage 200watt HI Watt valve head and 2x15" cabinet and no pedals - miked up through the FoH - reading reviews from the manufacturers is of no use to me so I am looking for some homespun advice on what is good or no-good out there - can anyone help before I waste any money?  Thanks in advance - Brianthebass

What is decent budget? One persons decent budget it another mans loose change. There is a nice Ritter on here for £5600 :D

There are quite a lot of light basses around - I quite like light, I dream of only doing 2 hour sets. My main basses are Ibanez, mostly because of the narrow necks which are also quite light (except the 5005, that is rather heavy), and I have an Maruszczyk Elwood, which is a bit jazz like with exactly the same profile as the ibanezes (was specified that way). Also have a G&L which I keep meaning to get rid of but ends up staying for when I want a P bass sound.

Main bass now is my fireman, which I built, which has a very very narrow neck.

I suppose the most obvious question is what is your current bass, and what is it that you like or dislike about it?

Hiya Woodinblack and thanks for your input - my current bass is a Vester V5 which is a copy I understand - it was well 2nd hand and not expensive - I like the thinness of the neck between fingers and thumb but it has some electrics problems and some of the frets are worn - I have re-dressed the worst of them and re-set the truss rod and action as low as I can and re-strung with lighter gauge strings for speed- however it is a well worn instrument and I am looking to buy new - my budget would be around £1,000. maybe a little more - would you recommend I try an Ibanez then?

I would, yes, I am an ibanez fanboi as you can probably see from my list! They do have very narrow necks compared to a lot of 5s, certainly a lot less width than fenders.

But I am a favour of trying as many things as possible, I would recommend going down to the local bass store (or a trip to a bigger city) and trying as much as you can.

7 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

I am an ibanez fanboi as you can probably see from my list! They do have very narrow necks compared to a lot of 5s,

Welcome Brian.

I am a recent convert to Ibanez.  Although I am a hobby player, the neck is noticeably faster than other 5 string necks that I've played.  It is as fast as my four string B2A which I think of as having a J type neck without the headstock whereas the five string Spirit has a profile that I had to really work at.  When I got the Ibanez, it was a joy to play.

Mine is an entry level model but for a bit more cash there are some interesting instruments.

I'm looking at making a fretless five for myself though.  Maybe you should take advice from someone exhibiting more signs of sanity...

Welcome Brian! I hope you'll enjoy navigating the many and various topics and opinions on BC, but I warn you, it's addictive - I visit here at least once a day, and often more.

5-strings come in all shapes and sizes, and I've owned many over the years, over 100 in the 40+ years I've been playing at the last count, and pretty much all of them have been 5'ers since the early 90's. It'll all boil down to what suits you, so you need to go to a few good, well stocked shops and just play as many as you can. For me, I favour 35" scale because I find it really does make a difference to the overall consistency and integration of the 5th string. A lot of 5-string basses seem to me to be 4-string basses with a 5th string added as an afterthought. Tonal qualities and playability are very subjective, so another reason to try out lots of different basses.

Out of the literally scores of different makes and models of 5-strings I've owned, my personal preference is for Lakland, because I've found the combination of scale, string spacing, tone and playability are a good fit for me. Their USA-made range is pricey (£3K+) but they do a range called Skyline, first made in Korea and now Indonesia, which are very good, and about a third of the price of the US versions. Check out the 55-02, 55-01 and DJ5. You might like them. Happy hunting!

Edited by lowregisterhead

Welcome!

I don't usually bother recommending GMR basses, because they're very hard to find, but do consider this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GMR-Bassforce-Classic-5-Bass-Guitar/222332681662?hash=item33c40f7dbe:g:5DMAAOSwa~BYQKut

My first bass, by great good luck, was one of these. Light, perfectly balanced, superb build quality, lovely rich sound. Compared to a Warwick Thumb it has a tighter B string and better sustain. If you're anywhere near Manchester you're welcome to drop in and try mine. 

I played 4 string for about 20 years. I'd borrowed a 5 string for a few months back in my first few years of playing, but hadn't got on with it. Then back in April I saw a deal for a Yamaha BB235 for a mere £270. I'd been toying with getting a 5er for a while, and at that price, it was hard to find reasons not to take the plunge. I figured that it was a good way to dip my toe in the water, and if it went well, I could always upgrade.

I've been finding that since it arrived, I've barely touched anything else. Now, whether this means I should now upgrade, or whether it actually means the exact opposite, I'm not sure.

S.P.

I did that thing where I convinced myself I needed a Sandberg 5er, got a beauty, took it to a few different rehearsals and sessions thinking 'this is where I'll bust it out', never actually did 'bust it out' and slowly realised I probably never will have the opportunity to 'bust it out', lovely as it is.  So it's just playing along at home with tracks that specifically have the low B just so it isn't ornamental.  It's wasted on me as current projects have no need for it, which is a shame, so... if anyone's interested in a Sandberg at a steal it's up in the market place... 👀

Edited by Misowaki

Welcome Brian, 

As mentioned, Ibanez is definitely one to go for for a thin 5 string neck but ALWAYS try before you buy. Ive had an ibanez SRX305 before which had such a wide and thick neck, it became quite a chore to play and ive got pretty large hands too.... 

Alternatively I'd say check out yamaha. Yes I'm a fanboy but theres a fair range of models to try from the TRBX and BB. The BB range would be ideal for the bands you enjoy playing ans listening to with the P/J configuration. 

I hope this helps somewhat but enjoy the forum