Why become a member? ×

Geddy's Lee's Big Beautiful Book of Bass

spongebob

If anyone wants their books signed for a far more modest fee, let me know. I have quite passable handwriting.

I'll repeat my original and long-forgotten question is there now a list of the featured basses (or can someone take a photo/scan of the contents page)

3 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

If anyone wants their books signed for a far more modest fee, let me know. I have quite passable handwriting.

I'll repeat my original and long-forgotten question is there now a list of the featured basses (or can someone take a photo/scan of the contents page)

IMG_20190530_210427.thumb.jpg.fa61f06e05ac5a37eb7f854252b1d0cf.jpg

• Thanks 1

I get the 'signing only books bought in the store' bit..... but it's too little, too late. Anyone who's a fan will already have the book - and probably paid £20 for it. A book signing tour needs to coincide with the book release - not 6 months later!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, cetera said:

I get the 'signing only books bought in the store' bit..... but it's too little, too late. Anyone who's a fan will already have the book - and probably paid £20 for it. A book signing tour needs to coincide with the book release - not 6 months later!

Agree but fans will now buy a 2nd book just to have it signed by Geddy himself. Another money making exercise from bands that already charge a fortune for concert tickets.

I'll stick to having the £18 book. Don't need a signature on the book. I have it on one of his basses :laugh1:

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Agree but fans will now buy a 2nd book just to have it signed by Geddy himself.

Not me! By all accounts (from previous signings) you just get shuffled through quickly with a signature and a handshake (if you're lucky). No time for a selfie or a "how do you play that bit in YYZ?" lol!

I don't pay again for something I already have...... unless it's another Spector! 😉

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, cetera said:

Not me! By all accounts (from previous signings) you just get shuffled through quickly with a signature and a handshake (if you're lucky). No time for a selfie or a "how do you play that bit in YYZ?" lol!

I was pretty much at the back of the queue at a Brian May signing for his "Woo, Space" book and by that time he was clearly knackered but with the end in sight he was ok to take a bit more time to talk. And he was quite happy to see my copy of the Star Fleet Project EP rather than another Greatest Hits or The Works.

• Like 1

Mine arrived this week, and yep, it's certainly heavy: beautifully photographed and presented 😀

Have to agree with 12 String above tho: there's some interesting interviews, and it's quite wordy, but John Entwistle's collection and book is much more eclectic and interesting, despite being almost infuriatingly low on text...Geddy's feels much more nitpicky and conservative; much more box-ticky. Maybe it's because there's only a few basses in Geddy's collection I'd actually like to own, where John's is full of them...

Was setting up for a wedding gig at the Meridian hotel yesterday afternoon which is just opposite Waterstones Picadilly and his book signing!!

Managed to miss both the great man and the 'fly past' of the world naked bike ride. Ah well, having already got my Amazon copy, I guess I saved £60 and also managed to keep my kit on! 😁

He still remains, for me, one of the best bassists ever and I'd love to see him play live some time soon...

• Haha 1

On ‎10‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 20:50, upside downer said:

Attention Geddy fans, he's on BBC 6music tomorrow (Tuesday 11th) on Shaun Keaveny's programme, show starts 1pm.

I downloaded the show later: the Gedmeister is on from approx. 2hrs - 2hrs 25m, after which they play Headlong Flight. \m/

Nice interview - focusing on the book and temperament of Bass players and Geddy's journey from 'I have some basses I use to make records with,' to 'what have I done, I have 250 down there now...'

A side effect of going to the signing is that I now have two copies. Anyone want my unsigned copy? Probably first edition but I'd have to check. £20 to you and happy to meet somewhere south/south-east London to exchange (eg Waterloo, London Bridge etc). I've flicked through it a couple of times before getting exhausted at its weight, so it's still in extremely good nick. 

3 hours ago, toneknob said:

A side effect of going to the signing is that I now have two copies. Anyone want my unsigned copy? Probably first edition but I'd have to check. £20 to you and happy to meet somewhere south/south-east London to exchange (eg Waterloo, London Bridge etc). I've flicked through it a couple of times before getting exhausted at its weight, so it's still in extremely good nick. 

Good price , I paid £33 with a discount of £3 off the £36 price.

On 20/06/2019 at 16:56, yorks5stringer said:

Anyone who has read the book, what did you feel about the Bill Wyman interview?

I thought Bill did not come across particulalrly 'well' and seemed to have been unhappy about  bass choices all his Stones career.

Well he made some odd choices... 

• 6 months later...