Why become a member? ×

Geddy's Lee's Big Beautiful Book of Bass

spongebob

9 hours ago, EddiePlaysBass said:

Damn you, RichardH ! I just went and reordered a copy 🙂

Yup, me too! It will be the "here we are, here's something I can be given for my birthday by one of the kids" item of the year. 

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, fretmeister said:

Back in stock in Amazon. 

Just ordered mine from the Big Forest, should arrive tonight. Looking forward to it.

21 hours ago, arthurhenry said:

His collection has grown by approx 40 since the book.

I'm already feeling less guilty about owning 'only' ten basses.

Wait...if I started to write up a short history of modern averagely priced basses... 😂

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

So my copy arrived as well. In time for my birthday, even!! At roughly £22,it is quite the steal, although I would not have minded the original price of £15 🙂

I've put it aside for now, and intend to peruse it one page at a time. The additional weight lifting exercises that come with this, are an added bonus 😄

Edited by EddiePlaysBass
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not got yours yet? Ged's doing a UK (and europe) signing tour, the UK appearances are in London and Glasgow (Waterstones) and Manchester (Blackwells)

£60 gets you a ticket for the signing plus the book. Already got the book and want to get it signed? no can do :(

12 minutes ago, toneknob said:

Not got yours yet? Ged's doing a UK (and europe) signing tour, the UK appearances are in London and Glasgow (Waterstones) and Manchester (Blackwells)

£60 gets you a ticket for the signing plus the book. Already got the book and want to get it signed? no can do :(

It's a great shame that (in my case) I'd need to buy the book again and that it wouldn't necessarily be a first edition either.  Nah. I'll pass.

22 minutes ago, toneknob said:

Oh, June 8th London.

Very tempted by this, I wouldn't mind keeping a singed mint copy for future investment.  Would go nicely with my sealed Robert Trujillo signed copy of the Jaco movie.

12 hours ago, wateroftyne said:

That’s pretty shabby. Disappointed in the organisers.

If a bookshop arranges an author to come to their store - probably at quite an expense - then I don't see it as unreasonable that customers would be expected to buy the book from the store rather than bring along their own copy. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, RichardH said:

If a bookshop arranges an author to come to their store - probably at quite an expense - then I don't see it as unreasonable that customers would be expected to buy the book from the store rather than bring along their own copy. 

The bookshops are paying for it? For enough - I wasn’t aware of that.

i assumed it would be part of a promotional tour arranged by the publisher.

44 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

The bookshops are paying for it? For enough - I wasn’t aware of that.

i assumed it would be part of a promotional tour arranged by the publisher.

maybe, maybe not - it could be the store, it could be the publisher, or it could be the author that is covering the expenses (and I'm guessing that Geddy won't be flying economy or staying at the local B&B).  And sometimes the publisher/author has to pay the store to be able to hold the book signing at their shop. 

So only signing books bought in store might be the quid pro quo for the shop covering some of the expenses and hosting the event.  Tend to agree that it doesn't reflect well on Geddy from a fan's perspective

Quite. I can’t help thinking it would be a better PR exercise if he’d set up his stall at the Bass gallery or somewhere.

I seem to recall he lives in the UK for a big chunk of the year anyway.

But, I hope enough people buy 2nd copies of the book for 60 quid to make it worthwhile for the bookshops...!

11 minutes ago, toneknob said:

I note that it's £60 for a signed copy, whereas they sell the book for £55 on line/in store.  Amazon price aside, book signings are usually a promotional event by the author/publisher/shop to sell copies with a free signature as the incentive to buy it there and then.  Shame that the market now means that they can charge a fee for meeting the author and getting a signature...though I suppose it's no worse than the backstage meet and greets at gigs that fans pay for, or the signed CDs sold by a band's website at a higher price than non-signed copies

• Like 1

I spotted that, so I just went and bought it for £20 on Amazon. I'm looking at it as £40 saved... :0)

I once happened on a Terry Pratchett book signing at a small independent bookshop in Lancaster*, when I had the brand new book (in hardback) under my arm, having bought it earlier in the day from Waterstones or somewhere. On shuffling into the shop, I picked up a cheapo PTerry paperback (of The Unseen University Challenge) for him to sign...Terry grinned at my plastic Waterstones bag hastily shoved under my coat, took my paperback and wrote "To Muzz...your starter for £3.99..." 😁

* Full disclosure: I saw a queue lining up out the door, and joined it on spec, then asked what was happening afterwards... 🙂

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I used to work in the book trade many years ago, and one of the reps told me a story about Jeffrey Archer, who would drop into bookshops unannounced, check his books on the shelf and sign them all. Sounds like an altruistic thing to do.... except that the bookshop would have had them in on sale or return, and now that they were signed, they couldn't be returned.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Monkey Steve said:

maybe, maybe not - it could be the store, it could be the publisher, or it could be the author that is covering the expenses (and I'm guessing that Geddy won't be flying economy or staying at the local B&B).  And sometimes the publisher/author has to pay the store to be able to hold the book signing at their shop. 

So only signing books bought in store might be the quid pro quo for the shop covering some of the expenses and hosting the event.  Tend to agree that it doesn't reflect well on Geddy from a fan's perspective

It's common practice - Julia Donaldson (parents know who I mean) is appearing at a bookshop in Hebden Bridge soon; only books pre-ordered/bought from the shop will be signed. Helps the business.