Why become a member? ×

Geddy's Lee's Big Beautiful Book of Bass

spongebob

Looks like an 'Oops' moment on the part of Amazon, but fair do's to them if they are honouring their mistake. Reading the apparent reduction above, I went to Amazon.fr last night, to see it at just under 70€. Swapping over to Amazon.co.uk, I saw the £18.19, and ordered one from there. Once postage (to France...) added on, it comes to 30€, less than half the French Amazon price. It's now back to the 'real' price everywhere, so probably a 'glitch', but I'm still invoiced for yesterday's lower price. Available whenever, I'm not bothered; I'm not even a Geddy fan, either..! It'll do nicely to prop up a wonky table, though. :|

• Haha 3

So I've been enjoying a few of the promo clips coming out but they're falling into the same patterns and riffs about how he got started on bass etc.

I guess natural questions for non-musos. I want to see him interviewed by a bassist for a more insightful and perhaps nerdy shared understanding of the benefits and quirks of the instruments.

Anyone seen such a clip yet? 

15 minutes ago, visog said:

I guess natural questions for non-musos. I want to see him interviewed by a bassist for a more insightful and perhaps nerdy shared understanding of the benefits and quirks of the instruments.

Anyone seen such a clip yet? 

No, but I hear there's a new book out which might cover this kind-of stuff...?

• Haha 2

Just spent an enjoyable two hours going through this book.

If Geddy Lee wasn't so damn nice, I could honestly hate the guy for snagging so many beautiful instruments.  Have to say that after 200 pages of drooling content, it's just information overload.  The content steers you round the ultimate question of, 'Whatever happened to that <insert manufacturer here> bass?' before drawing you in for the last few pages of the really important guitars.

There's no envy here in the slightest; it's just a lengthy journal about vintage bass collecting.  He's been a successful musician for donkey's years and now he's simply kicking back and reaping the rewards of that.

It's a beautiful publication. 

• Like 6

It's OK - not very interested in J or P basses really I was hoping for some more variety - plenty of old (60s) basses but not much 80's and 90's stuff. 

Edit to add I saw the digital book, I bet the physical book is a pretty nice object all the same.

On 23/12/2018 at 15:04, ped said:

It's OK - not very interested in J or P basses really I was hoping for some more variety - plenty of old (60s) basses but not much 80's and 90's stuff. 

The point here is that he's only really been collecting/purchasing older basses; irrespective of what actually qualifies as 'vintage', there's a ton of pre-CBS Fenders and despite personally not being a Fender fan, it is fantastic, at the very least from a comparison perspective, to see all these basses in one edition.  He doesn't seem that interested with more recent instruments.

Interestingly, there's a recent interview with Geddy Lee on You Tube where he says that this book represents his entire collection as of June/July 2018 and that it's already swelled by another 30 since they finished photographing the collection, so expect a second book in a couple of years.

Edited by NancyJohnson
speling
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

The point here is that he's only really been collecting/purchasing older basses; irrespective of what actually qualifies as 'vintage', there's a ton of pre-CBS Fenders and despite personally not being a Fender fan, it is fantastic, at the very least from a comparison perspective, to see all these basses in one edition.  He doesn't seem that interested with more recent instruments.

Interestingly, there's a recent interview with Geddy Lee on You Tube where he says that this book represents his entire collection as of June/July 2018 and that it's already swelled by another 30 since they finished photographing the collection, so expect a second book in a couple of years.

Yes - I read an interview with him where he was saying that he’d specifically got a Fender Jazz from each year of production to see if he could hear any difference and see how they had changed, and came to the conclusion that “pre CBS” was a genuine difference in how the basses sound.  I’m not a Fender fan either, but it’s a very personal project and it’s interesting to see his opinion.

probably more interesting for those with a Fender and Rickenbacker interest tho

• Like 1

On 22/12/2018 at 12:38, NancyJohnson said:

Just spent an enjoyable two hours going through this book.

If Geddy Lee wasn't so damn nice, I could honestly hate the guy for snagging so many beautiful instruments.  Have to say that after 200 pages of drooling content, it's just information overload.  The content steers you round the ultimate question of, 'Whatever happened to that <insert manufacturer here> bass?' before drawing you in for the last few pages of the really important guitars.

There's no envy here in the slightest; it's just a lengthy journal about vintage bass collecting.  He's been a successful musician for donkey's years and now he's simply kicking back and reaping the rewards of that.

It's a beautiful publication. 

Re. Gibson Thunderbird: Geddy asked Pete Way (UFO) what it was exactly that he loved so much about them.

”Well, Glee, they sound three-quarters quite good, and one-quarter not very nice”. If ever Gibson were after a blurb on an ad page for a Thunderbird there’s one right there!

Only had a brief scan through this morning but upon first glance it’s a fabulous book!

• Haha 1

I’ve only had a cursory glance at it so far, but one page I wanted to get to was about his ‘72 Jazz.

Interesting comment about Badass bridges on that one, basically saying they make bugger all difference on Fenders over the stock BBOT.

Many of us will have formed an opinion over the years on the value of a high mass bridge on a Fender, but from a player of that amount of experience with loads of Jazz’s to compare against, is that the definitive answer?