Why become a member? ×

Markbass??

NellyOnBass

Hey folks been looking at giving these a try iv'e just sold my Fender Rumble combo set up and with my small budget i'm looking at the Markbass NY121 1x12 Cab and the Markbass F1 Head, just wondering if anyone here has any experience on this set up and if the rig will be powerful enough for bigger gigs, any info would be much appreciated so thanks in advance cheers.

I have no experience with F1 but I don't expect it to be much different from my LMIII which still makes me happy every week. It's small light and loud with plenty eq possibilities.

300 watts into one 112 (8 ohm) will probably be plenty for most venues (it is for me, I hardly use my second 112)

I am not using Marbass cabs so I cannot comment on that. 

The NY121P is a small single twelve cab and won't do large gigs. A pair is a different matter but one on its own will struggle in my experience.  Unless size is your most important factor I would recommend the larger single twelve cabs from Markbass as they will go deeper and sound bigger. As for Markbass heads once again unless you have to have the smallest I wouldn't choose either F1 or F500 which employed Markbass first generation 500 watt class D power amp. When I owned one it was no where near as powerful as my class AB LM3. The later 500 watt class D amp is in the LM3 and Big Bang heads and probably all the other 500 watt Markbass heads and is better than the first generation in my experience. 

• Like 1

Thank you very much for your replies guys unfortunately since money is tight and my budget is what it is, the first set up I mentioned is what it looks like it'll need to be, i may upgrade another cab in the future but it won't be anytime soon unless the generous members of bass chat want to throw a free cab my way lol

The F1 has been discontinued for quite a while now, so you'd need to look for new old stock or a used one. But as mentioned above, they make better heads now, pickup either a used LM3 or LM800 to get a loud amp at a good price! Even a used LM2 will probably do you better.

It also depends what you mean by 'bigger gigs', if you have PA support, then yes definitely. Raise the cab a bit and you're essentially just using it for monitoring. If you have no PA support, I'd want at least a 2x12 (or at least a single 4 ohm cab) to get the most from the amp. Without PA support, it's not just about being loud, it's about filling the room with low-end.....and more low-end means more power and excursion :)

I use a LM800 or LM2 through two Barefaced 2x12s and they easily fill a medium sized room with the amount of low end I want with no PA support.

Si

56 minutes ago, NellyOnBass said:

Thank you very much for your replies guys unfortunately since money is tight and my budget is what it is, the first set up I mentioned is what it looks like it'll need to be, i may upgrade another cab in the future but it won't be anytime soon unless the generous members of bass chat want to throw a free cab my way lol

That's an excellent small rig and if you already have it lined up for a good price then go for it. You can always add another NY121P cab later if you desire and have a rig capable of almost any reasonable gig. I only experienced a problem with my F500 when I used it to drive a pair of less efficient cabs very loud.

22 hours ago, NellyOnBass said:

If money is tight  why not go for the CMD 121P Combo which is an LM3 and NY 121P cab? Likely to be cheaper than separate Amp/Cab and they pop up s/h on here all the time. As mentioned already the Little Mark series are a better bet than the F1. If you go this route you can add a 2nd NY121 and you have a "full fat" 500w rig that should be loud enough for any occasion. 

• Like 2

On 02/08/2018 at 17:07, Sparky Mark said:

That's an excellent small rig and if you already have it lined up for a good price then go for it. You can always add another NY121P cab later if you desire and have a rig capable of almost any reasonable gig. I only experienced a problem with my F500 when I used it to drive a pair of less efficient cabs very loud.

Thing is ive went ahead and bought the head and cab as I managed to get them both pre owned as my budget wouldn't stretch any further and now its arrived I seriously misjudged it, its really small but with plenty of punch (obviously I can't run it hard at home) and we have a fairly big gig next weekend at an outdoor festival and im worried it won't cut through on stage and monitors can be poor as you all will know

The F1 was the only amp I've owned in the last 10 years that I didn't like. I thought it sounded sterile and lifeless. IMO my LM2 was far better.

Neither amp is made anymore but there are plenty of Markbass amps to try that will sound pretty good.

To be fair I know size doesn't matter and I used a Peavey TKO115 Sheffield combo for many years playing fairly big gigs and through a P.A it never let me down once and volume from it was never a problem so if that done the trick live will this set up be ok?

Also my previous set up was the Fender Rumble 500 with a separate 2x10 speaker cab and again I never had any issues with that

I've been using either a Markbass Little Mark or SA450 for about 12 years now and never felt wanting. I've even played open air without PA support and it certainly did the job. I've tried just about every other contender and nothing comes close for me but we are all different.

The old Peavey's are built like battleships and are very loud. As to whether it would cut it in a large room with a loud drummer and guitar is another matter.

On 02/08/2018 at 15:44, fretmeister said:

If I was buying again I'd buy the Marcus Miller version. The EQ points are far more sensible.

I like the sound (as in description) of the Marcus Miller (never actually heard one), but I'd have to do something about the Facia plate with his picture on it (Nothing against him at all, just pictures on amps).

On 02/08/2018 at 15:44, fretmeister said:

The F1 sounds quite a bit different to the LM series. I had both.

If I was buying again I'd buy the Marcus Miller version. The EQ points are far more sensible.

I agree, I like the EQ points on the MM heads. Especially in the low and mid positions. I only wish I could have more time with them to try out. @MoJoKe I must thank you for getting us the kit to review! 

Another shout here for the LM3 they are very reasonable 2nd hand (a near mint one in the FS section with case for £300).  Sounds nice through the NY121 but as others have alluded to above, the single cab set up is really for small gigs/rehearsal IMHO.  I always pair mine with a second NY121 for a gig, it extends the bass and fills out the sound and volume, I've never had an issue no matter what size the venue.

I run a LM3 and 2 x NY112 cabs. A single NY112 cab on its own just didn't cut it volume wise for me. We play 50s and 60s rock n roll with drums and two guitars but nothing is heavily overdriven and loud but a single cab just didn't cut through unfortunately.

As for my thoughts on the LM3 and NY112 cabs then so far they have been a brilliant setup and a reliable workhorse. Not sure its the best available but its either sounded good or brilliant so no complaints. If it all exploded tomorrow then I really wouldn't know what to get to replace it and would probably just buy the same. As they say, if it ain't broke then don't try and fix it.

1 hour ago, Linus27 said:

I run a LM3 and 2 x NY112 cabs. A single NY112 cab on its own just didn't cut it volume wise for me. We play 50s and 60s rock n roll with drums and two guitars but nothing is heavily overdriven and loud but a single cab just didn't cut through unfortunately.

As for my thoughts on the LM3 and NY112 cabs then so far they have been a brilliant setup and a reliable workhorse. Not sure its the best available but its either sounded good or brilliant so no complaints. If it all exploded tomorrow then I really wouldn't know what to get to replace it and would probably just buy the same. As they say, if it ain't broke then don't try and fix it.

I'm in the same boat there Linus....I've been looking at replacement cabs and heads this year but can't find anything that offers the size/weight practicality of this set up.  I'll probably end up sometime next year getting a new LM3 and relegating my current one to back up and swapping out the cabs for new units one by one.

• Like 1

On 02/08/2018 at 14:08, NellyOnBass said:

Hey folks been looking at giving these a try iv'e just sold my Fender Rumble combo set up and with my small budget i'm looking at the Markbass NY121 1x12 Cab and the Markbass F1 Head, just wondering if anyone here has any experience on this set up and if the rig will be powerful enough for bigger gigs, any info would be much appreciated so thanks in advance cheers.

Ive been using a F1 head for years (brought off here). Never had an issue with it and never had to turn it right up. Obliviously thats no indication of loudness as such, but its a head i will never part with (although i have other heads i also use). Ive never used a multi cab setup, so ive only used my amps with single cabs, but ive never had any issue with people not hearing me.

I had a SA450 and LMII, and there is a difference between those and the F1, but i find the F1 is a bit punchier. especially on the low notes, but not quite as full and warm, but as i always run a BDDI or similar in front with the amp EQ pretty much flat all of those amps have worked just as well.

I would love a F500 though.

Edited by dave_bass5

21 minutes ago, Sparky Mark said:

I found the concentric EQ pots far too small/fiddly and close together to adjust on the fly. Sounded good but did switch to protect mode at one (its last) gig.

I tired one once and although i agree with you, i dont find i really touch EQ when im playing live so it wouldn't be an issue.