Why become a member? ×

What strings have the lowest tension?

Pjowsky

Hi I bought an NYC sadowsky pj 5 a couple of months back and love the sound but have been been getting some hand pain due to the stiffness of the strings (I like to dig in and get that raspy sound quite a bit) The gauge is the same I'm used to 45-125 but the strings were new to me stainless steel blue label sadowsky. Been liking the stainless steel so I checked online recommendations for some low tension ones (I want to keep the same gauge) So got it set up, action is now low as possible and it's wearing Dunlop super brights 45-125. Much less stiffness for my plucking hand to fight against but strings are still not as loose as I want. Bar switching to a lower gauge could u guys recommend any strings that would have lower tension than Dunlop super brights? Been reading about dr hi beams wud they be better for what I'm after? Also, are stainless steel strings just stiffer in general? Any help wud be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Stainless strings are somewhat obstinate compared to nickels. It sounds like you want that bright tone, so I may have to disappoint you. Looser tension means by law of physics lesser brightness and "twang".

If you want to try REALLY low tension strings, try the Thomastik Jazz Rounds! They are however a bit different from other strings in some aspects:

- First - the gauges: .029 - .043 - .051 - .068 - .089 - .116 from high C to low B in 34" sets. That makes them really floppy if you "dig in"...
- Second: the tone is very... organic and natural, I find no better way to describe them. No shrill treble, a nice full mid with a lot of "wood" in the tone. Not really the twang you may be after...
- No string for traditional slapping. Finger style playing with a LOT of fffummmmph, if you "loosen the grip"...
- It takes some adaption of playing style, softer right hand touch, but you are rewarded with a tone to die/kill for. As long as you like the tone. They sit very, very well in a band mix.

http://www.thomastik-infeld.com/sites/default/files/catalogue/bass_guitar_2015.pdf

jazz-bass-round-wound.png?itok=zccQx6K7

Edited by bassmayhem

HiBeams are a little less stiff than the Sadowsky strings, I used to put them both on my Sadowsky pj (which I sold a while ago). Ultimately there’s not a huge difference in tension between them, the Sadowsky strings are really nice, as are the DRs, but you could always lower your action if you want more snap. Those Sadowsky necks are perfect, they’ll give you all the snap you need if you straighten them and drop the string height a bit. 

Newtone should be able to wind you a custom set with thinner cores to have lower tension.

I get strings wound for my 31.5" basses in lighter gauges to have the tension of regular strings on a regular scale bass and they absolutely nail it. I'm positive they can help you achieve the opposite.

They're made here in the UK, and are extremely reasonably priced too.

Give them a shout, I expect you won't be disappointed 😎

Eude