Why become a member? ×

favourite D class that has a dirt channel

nash

The Positive Grid Bias Amp Mini was thrust in to my lap last week. It (Or the BIAS AMP) would appear to be pretty much the ultimate 'dirt channel(s)' amp in terms of tonal variations.  I'm pretty sure the Darkglass amp will get a big thumbs up. Generally speaking I am let down by amp 'dirt channels' as I am really fussy and look for a specific sort of dirt in my sound. I'm leaning towards keeping my amp clean and using pedals instead so I may not be as helpful as those who use dirt on their amps all the time. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, nash said:

I've thought about getting a Tone Hammer and a Catlinbread SFT. I'm finding the Darkglass stuff too modern for the band I'm in. Although I really like the Pike Vulcan version.

That's interesting actually as I tend to lean to ward the Vintage MY rather than the B*k models. My own drive needs tend to be more band pass in the mids. I'm currently doing a blend of clean EQ and two drive pedals at low gain in series to get the effect I want. (Albeit happening inside Helix)

On 02/08/2018 at 14:42, nash said:

I forgot you had the Helix. I may get a HX for a laugh. 

I really think anyone who's into distorted/overdriven Bass should try the Helix.  If it's occasional dirt you're looking for, the Helix is a gold mine of things to try. 

You can split your signal inside the unit so you have an 'Always on' clean signal, then have some gnarly stuff on a separate signal which can be turned off/on or even up/down...honestly I've had one since December last year and I've still only scratched the surface of what you can do with it...

2 minutes ago, LewisK1975 said:

I really think anyone who's into distorted/overdriven Bass should try the Helix. 

Or they could save themselves (literally) £1,000** and get a decent dirt pedal?

You could maybe start with a simple SA Aftershock - probably has as many dirt options as the Helix, and it will take up just a smudge less space on your pedal board? 😂

** based on new prices as there obviously won't be enough used ones to go around if everyone who's into distorted / overdriven bass wants a Helix...

4 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Or they could save themselves (literally) £1,000** and get a decent dirt pedal?

You could maybe start with a simple SA Aftershock - probably has as many dirt options as the Helix, and it will take up just a smudge less space on your pedal board? 😂

** based on new prices as there obviously won't be enough used ones to go around if everyone who's into distorted / overdriven bass wants a Helix...

There are certainly options out there to suit all budgets.

I will retort though, that saying the SA aftershock 'probably has as many dirt options as the Helix', really couldn't be more incorrect.

Hmm not strictly accurate, there are 3 types of distortion available on the Aftershock; tube, heavy and fuzz.  On the standalone pedal, You can save your settings in each of the 3 types of distortion.  So, actually available at point of use on the pedal itself are 3 presets.

As I read it, you can also connect via midi to a separate 'neuro hub' which then lets you store up to 128 different presets (remotely I presume) for re-assigning to the pedal, at least that what I think it does....I could well be wrong, lol.

Good luck to the op in his quest!

On 02/08/2018 at 11:17, Muzz said:

The Magellan 800 will do clean and some drive (dunno how much you're looking for) very nicely, and is switchable. That'd be my fave...

Another vote for the Magellan 800. If you want a silky smooth, mid rich, valve like drive - rather than modern scooped clanky distortion, the Magellan delivers it to perfection. I'v been gigging mine for about 18 months now and can attest that it works brilliantly in the mix too, you don't lose the bottom end and don't get the top end fizz either (and I have a cab with a high frequency horn). And the clean channel is simply huge too B| 

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, nash said:

I’ve gone and ordered a Darkglass M900. Went with the 900 over 500 so I still have plenty of power when using just an 8ohm cab. 

Congratulations - hope you enjoy. Shame that you weren't after one 9 months ago when a glut of these came up for sale (and were all quickly snapped up); don't think any have come for several months now, so it sounds like they have ALL ended up with contended new owners (for now anyway!)

What cab are you pairing it with?

On 02/08/2018 at 11:31, nash said:

...I'm finding the Darkglass stuff too modern for the band I'm in. Although I really like the Pike Vulcan version.

Did you just say this to stop any of us recommending that you consider a DG M900? 😂

Edited by Al Krow

20 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Congratulations - hope you enjoy. Shame that you weren't after one 9 months ago when a glut of these came up for sale (and were all quickly snapped up); don't think any have come for several months now, so it sounds like they have ALL ended up with contended new owners (for now anyway!)

Did you just say this to stop any of us recommending that you consider a DG M900? 😂

20 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Haha you got me. I must say that it’s mainly referring to the DG stuff with my Super Bassman. All my mids went no matter what I did. The DG stuff sounded great with my OB-1.  

Also I got a really great deal on the M900 so it’s all good  

On 07/08/2018 at 15:30, Osiris said:

Another vote for the Magellan 800. If you want a silky smooth, mid rich, valve like drive - rather than modern scooped clanky distortion, the Magellan delivers it to perfection. I'v been gigging mine for about 18 months now and can attest that it works brilliantly in the mix too, you don't lose the bottom end and don't get the top end fizz either (and I have a cab with a high frequency horn). And the clean channel is simply huge too B| 

This ^^^^ (love mine too)