Why become a member? ×

Trickfish Power Ratings

scalpy

In the thread about the Scott’s Bass Lessons giveaway Trickfish’s power ratings came up. In a recent thread I was asking about a posh Di and one thing I did consider was getting a very good amp head and using its DI, Trickfish consequently crossed my radar. So I decided to PM them about the RMS and got this reply-

‘We really prefer not to get into those discussions because there are no set standards for how companies come to their RMS ratings and the number Itself doesn’t really mean much on its own. 

We use the ICE 700 power module in the BH.5 and the Pascal SPro2 in the Bullhead 1K and they both have detailed specs online. 

I wish I had a more satisfactory answer for you as I know the RMS value is a popular number to use to compare amplifiers. But unless the number is achieved using identical testing procedure the number really confuses more than helps.’

I thought I’d share seeing the debate going on a few days ago.

Harry

Edited by scalpy
Spelling
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

The Pascal module in the Bullhead is internally bridged to get the 1000watt. That’s why it is minimum is 4 ohm

So don’t connect two 4 ohm cabs! The amp will go into the security mode.

The VDK Spartan has two Pascal L-PRO2S modules so you can connect 4 8 ohm cabs or 2 4 ohm cabs

On 06/08/2018 at 09:43, mcnach said:

I can understand why they feel that way, although it may come across as being unnecessarily obtuse to customers...

Which is probably why manufacturers have marketing departments to sell their equipment: 15" speakers sound deeper than 12" speakers because they are bigger. Valve watts are louder. PMPO! Tonewood speaker cabinets. 1000W RMS is louder than 800W RMS... This amp goes to 11... 

It must be pretty tough for a manufacturer to break the mould and actually give an honest answer knowing so many people will come back to them in contention spouting what they have heard for years before.

On 06/08/2018 at 09:43, mcnach said:

I can understand why they feel that way, although it may come across as being unnecessarily obtuse to customers...

Which is probably why manufacturers have creative marketing departments to sell their equipment: 15" speakers sound deeper than 12" speakers because they are bigger. Valve watts are louder. PMPO! Tonewood speaker cabinets. 1000W RMS is louder than 800W RMS... This amp goes to 11... 

It must be pretty tough for a manufacturer to break the mould and actually give an honest answer knowing so many people will come back to them in contention spouting what they have heard for years before.