Why become a member? ×

New Schaller strap locks!

EBS_freak

On ‎02‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 10:36, ped said:

Hated the old ones. Rattly and the nut comes loose after about ten mins no matter how tight you screw it on. Always thought the design was a bit clunky. 

Loctite 242 is your friend. I take them off every few years, clean them a bit and add a fresh dab of threadlocker when I put them back on. Never had a loose nut in 32 years. :biggrin: <--- that's my smug face

LOC24231.jpg

I had the strap part wear through the strapbutton, and screw, enough for it to snap right off the bass. Fortunately leaving enough screw to be grabbed by pliers and removed.

It did take 25 years for that to happen mind, so I wasn't too miffed... :D

• Haha 1

I wasn't aware there were any "design flaws" with Schallers or that they needed any special technique to fit. I've been using them on my instruments for years, just screw on and forget. Maybe every few weeks I've check the nuts as I'm picking my bass on and they never seem to loosen noticeably. That said, I've never heard of anyone having any problems with Dunlops either so you can pick whatever you prefer I suppose, I've just never been a fan of the aesthetics of the Duncans with that big "dog water bowl" arrangement they have, but functionally I've found both to work just fine.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, bazzbass said:

if all straps had two holes like the Comfort Strap, there's be no market for strap locks.

Genius solution.

Strap.htm

Not really - becuase the two holes still get worn as the strap is taken on and off. From experience, as I used to use Comfort Strapps for some time, the wear is not as quick as it may be on a traditional strap... but they do stretch and whilst the risk of a bass dropping off the strap is reduced, the risk is definitely still there on older, worn straps.

30 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

Not really - becuase the two holes still get worn as the strap is taken on and off. From experience, as I used to use Comfort Strapps for some time, the wear is not as quick as it may be on a traditional strap... but they do stretch and whilst the risk of a bass dropping off the strap is reduced, the risk is definitely still there on older, worn straps.

Well done that man,  i put the ten mill hole in, but then use a sewing machine to sew criss-crossed either side of that hole so it cant spread,   i like the thread lock idea, thanks people.

1 hour ago, bazzbass said:

if all straps had two holes like the Comfort Strap, there's be no market for strap locks.

Genius solution.

Strap.htm

I use a Comfort Strapp with Schallers fitted :) Been using Schallers since about 1984 and never had any problems with 'em. Yeah, sometimes the nuts get a little loose but that's hardly a big deal.

28 minutes ago, matski said:

I use a Comfort Strapp with Schallers fitted :) Been using Schallers since about 1984 and never had any problems with 'em. Yeah, sometimes the nuts get a little loose but that's hardly a big deal.

Until they come off completely and the bass drops to the floor...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Been using Shaller strap locks for a few years. I love the concept but had some minor issues. The nut in mine comes loose from time to time, and even using a wrench to tighten them they get loose after a few weeks. I use a Minotaur strap that's a bit thick but it shouldn't be a problem, but every time a step on stage my routine is "pick up the bass - insert jack - re-tighten strap screws by hand - tune bass".
Luckly i've found these new locks in Thomann a few seconds before doing the checkout in a recent order so one of the new sets is comming my way as i'm typing. Good thing i spotted them last week as i've only seen this thread today. I think the grub screw on the new nut is the key to solve the main problem with the old ones.

20 minutes ago, matski said:

It has never happened so far....

Ditto.

By habit, I check the nuts on both locks when I first put the bass on.  Takes about 5 seconds.  No biggy.

Strangely enough though, for my routine gigging basses I use the best straplocks known to man....Grolsch tops.  never, ever, ever, ever fail

Edited by martthebass
  • Like 1

Always preferred Dunlop myself, just always work, simple and secure.

The only issue I ever found with Schaller's, was if you were changing your strap in a rush (i.e. live) and the strap button didn't 'slide in' before the pin locked but still sat in the mechanism above the pin, your guitar would soon take a nosedive when it would 'unhook'. Not good for your instrument, sound or your bands reputation, let alone your own.

15 hours ago, bubinga5 said:

Easy fix, and they will never loosen your nuts on Schaller's.  The locking washer.  Ive been using these on Schaller's for years and they have never come loose. 

R9143367-01.jpg

Good idea - I never quite got why they didn’t make the screw bit 2mm longer and give you a lock nut

Used them for years without trouble, then got an ACG that had the dunlop ones which I preferred, so changed some basses for that, then the guitarist had a dunlop set fail, so now in the worst of world of having some shallers, some dunlops and some no strap locks and not sure where way to go.

Prefer the dunlop shape in that you can still use a vanilla strap

I've been using the Schaller Strap Locks since the mid 80s and never had any problem with them. As others have said, the trick is to make sure the holes in the strap have been enlarged and then use two adjustable spanners to do up the nut (one the hold the lock and the other to turn the nut).

Unlike the ones fitted to my Warwick StarBass which failed after a couple of months and have since been replaced with a set of Schallers.

On 02/08/2018 at 16:04, TheGreek said:

I have these on a couple of basses. My preference though are for the early Warwick ones which go inside the body so don't stick out (makes balancing a bass on it's end sooo much easier). Never known them to ever go wrong.

Warwick ones seem to be closely related to the Dunlop ones (Completely compatible), who also make the flush fit version. I love the idea of the Flush fit version, but it does mean that, in a fix. you can't use any old strap.

• 2 weeks later...

Fitted my new ones. They're great. The latch-on system is a nice addition and the new nut is awesome. The button to pull to get it out is a bit smaller than the older version, it shouldn't been changed. the strap button with the build-in screw is also a miss in my opinion. I think Schaller only needed to add the new nut and bevel the latch-on system in the old unit to have a winner. Maybe gen3 will sort this once and for all.

• Like 1

It appears that many of you have ‘hacks’ that make them secure - now Schiller have released their own hack. IMO if they were designed well in the first place they wouldn’t need loctite, special straps, washers, etc. I remember nearly every bass having them when I started playing but I think better alternatives exist now. 

Its like having a slow puncture. Yeah you can pump it up once a week and it’s ok, or get it fixed. One could suddenly fail and leave you in a mess, the other doesn’t.