Why become a member? ×

New Schaller strap locks!

EBS_freak

I must be weird or something -- I've been using 2 or 3 sets of Schaller straplocks since 1986 and have never, ever had a single problem with them. Even that first set from '86 are still going strong, they just look a bit scruffy that's all. Hardly surprising after 32 years of gigs :lol:

• Like 2

I’m using a set of the new S locks and they are much improved in my mind, their using the same old idea but have refined the whole thing and on a side note the new packaging is lovely.

The threaded section is much longer so it will accommodate a thicker strap and the knurled wheel instead of a nut is a nice touch that works well, there’s also a little grub screw that you can nip up to lock the wheel in position.

One thing I did notice is that the locking pin is now angled so you can pop the strap onto the bass without having to pull the release nob and finally the annoying rattle they used to make has now gone. 

Well done Schaller 👍

1 hour ago, Skybone said:

Not too keen on the new one piece strap button / screw arrangement.

To be fair that's a good point, if it doesn't go in straight the first time its fitted then there is no wiggle room to pull the strap button flat.

Never had an issue with the old ones although I always felt that (as a Dunlop Straplok user) the design was less sleek than the Dunlops.  That they're standard on Ricks was a bit of a curveball; you shell out for a bass then discover that you have to go with a different locking mechanism is a pain.

P

My only issue with Schallers ( and I used em for 10 years or more) was the pull to release knob occasionally  unscrewed and fell on the floor.  bass was still secure, but it was a bugger to remove the strap if you lost the knob. 

Oh and the rattle, that used to bug me a bit too.

Nowadays, having a strap per bass, I just use grolsch washers!!

The key with the originals is to use a 10mm leather punch on the button holes on your strap. That way the strap lies flat under the washer and the nut could be applied really tightly. After doing that, I have had zero issues. I wrote a guide many moons ago on head but I suspect the photos may be now broken due to the site change over. I'll take a look.

I've head of people adding a bit of thread lock too.

• Like 1

i've been using them for about 17 years ever since a guitar i bought secondhand had them fitted, having found the guide that EBS_Freak has linked above the only issue i have come across is that one extra padded leather strap is a bit of a tight fit, i'll probably get a set of the new ones for that strap but as far as i can see the new system is compatible with the old system so my stash of old type strap buttons is still useful.

Matt

10 hours ago, Matt P said:

i've been using them for about 17 years ever since a guitar i bought secondhand had them fitted, having found the guide that EBS_Freak has linked above the only issue i have come across is that one extra padded leather strap is a bit of a tight fit, i'll probably get a set of the new ones for that strap but as far as i can see the new system is compatible with the old system so my stash of old type strap buttons is still useful.

Matt

With the thicker straps get a 10mm (I think, don't quote me on that) hole punch and make a round hole in the strap for the straplock to go through instead of trying to force the leather onto it. There's a thread on here detailing how to do this.

EDIT here it is:

Edited by lemmywinks

11 hours ago, lemmywinks said:

With the thicker straps get a 10mm (I think, don't quote me on that) hole punch and make a round hole in the strap for the straplock to go through instead of trying to force the leather onto it. There's a thread on here detailing how to do this.

EDIT here it is:

I have the 10mm punch, and the strap is still a bit too thick, I can just about get the nut on, I made a thinner washer as well but it's a tight squeeze. I think they must have gone a little overboard with the leather thickness and the padding on this strap, it's very comfortable though! 

Matt