Why become a member? ×

First Band what amp set up (purchase made)

Slappindabass

Hi everyone...what would you reccomend size wise for a first gigging band for 20 years!. Do not really know how large to go i would think it will mainly be pubs ...so whatbsort of gear cuts it in that enviroment. Tough ...nice sounding ?thanks for ant reccomendations.

Edited by Slappindabass

What's the budget? How's your back? Combo-v-head/cabs? Class A/B or class D?

If your back isn't an issue I'd give serious consideration to a Trace Elliot combo - the 150w combo will kick sufficient hass in most pubs, the 300w will do for window removals and Earthquake survival training.

You can pick TE gear up for well under £300.

• Like 1

If your back is ok I`d look at either a 212 or a 410, and power-wise look at a 500 watt head. All of this is more than you`ll ever need for a pub sized venue, but if asked to do bigger venues/outside gigs it will work for those too. Brand-wise, well so many out there, I`d recommend going to see a few local bands and when your ears latch on to a sound you like, inspect the amp (tho wait ti the bands on a break of course).

Re the tough aspect, well again back dependent but Trace Elliot, Peavey, Laney, Ashdown, all makes that are pretty durable and worth looking into.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Re the tough aspect, well again back dependent but Trace Elliot, Peavey, Laney, Ashdown, all makes that are pretty durable and worth looking into.

Good advice - get on the Trace bandwagon now whilst there are still bargains to be had! You won't lose money should you want to change your mind (if you buy at the right price- you may even make a little more back! ) , and there seems to be no shortage of Trace stuff kicking about at the moment. Go for a 250 / 300 watt combo or head with a suitable cab.

I used various Peaveys for years, as they always seemed to be cheap, very well built and really loud, though they don't seem as common as they once were. A head and a 1x12, 1x15 or 2x10 is generally enough, tho a 4x10 is better and more flexible if you're ok with moving/lifting/transporting it.

I don't know your budget, but anything around 300w would be plenty (double check tho, because lots of combos claim to have 300w heads, but need an additional speaker connected to get that sort of output).

I've used a couple of newish Hartke combos lately as part of supplied backline - they are nothing i'd ever think of buying, but they were much louder and better sounding than i expected.

EDIT: For what its worth i've been using a secondhand Little Mark LM2 (500w at 4ohms) into a secondhand Schroeder 1210 (800w) cabinet for years for most size gigs and it sounds great.

Edited by bassbiscuits
  • Like 1

And if you're not Charlie Atlas....a bit more money but there's a Little Mark 3 and a Barefaced Compact Gen 2  in the ads on here both are asking £300 so for £600 (or less ;) you've got a great lightweight set up big enough for any pub.  I've been gigging with this set up for the last 4 years.with no issues.

Another vote for the Fender Rumble V3 500 combo. It'll easily be loud enough for any pub you'll play in and is a one-hand lift. Your back will thank you!

Great range of tones, knobs that really do things, and even a great sounding overdrive. For the price/weight/heft there's not much to touch it

I love my LM3 and Barefaced Compact, but am always ready to listen to other folks. The  Fender Rumble 500 is currently £494.76 from my local-ish music shop, Andertons, and includes free UK delivery. If they re as good as other people on here reckon they are, and I've got no reason to argue, at less than £500 brand new it's probably the way to go for a first time bit of kit.

On 01/08/2018 at 14:56, bassbiscuits said:

I used various Peaveys for years, as they always seemed to be cheap, very well built and really loud, though they don't seem as common as they once were. A head and a 1x12, 1x15 or 2x10 is generally enough, tho a 4x10 is better and more flexible if you're ok with moving/lifting/transporting it.

I don't know your budget, but anything around 300w would be plenty (double check tho, because lots of combos claim to have 300w heads, but need an additional speaker connected to get that sort of output).

I've used a couple of newish Hartke combos lately as part of supplied backline - they are nothing i'd ever think of buying, but they were much louder and better sounding than i expected.

EDIT: For what its worth i've been using a secondhand Little Mark LM2 (500w at 4ohms) into a secondhand Schroeder 1210 (800w) cabinet for years for most size gigs and it sounds great.

Peaveys can be quite weighty too. I gigged a Peavey Databass (450W 1x15) for years. I wouldn't go back to it - the Rumble is streets ahead on sound quality as well as weight

1 hour ago, phil.c60 said:

I love my LM3 and Barefaced Compact, but am always ready to listen to other folks. The  Fender Rumble 500 is currently £494.76 from my local-ish music shop, Andertons, and includes free UK delivery. If they re as good as other people on here reckon they are, and I've got no reason to argue, at less than £500 brand new it's probably the way to go for a first time bit of kit.

The way I look at it is Discreet on here highly rates the Rumble and he has changed his amp set up more than I have my underpants!!

So I bought one and he was right!

Having said all that, amps and cabs are a very personal thing and all opinions are subjective. For instance, there is lots of love for TE gear but I owned a AH600 head and wasn`t keen on the sound at all, it took me ages to get a decent sound when playing a gig. Plus the combo`s weigh a bloomin ton which has been said already.