Why become a member? ×

Lets talk about Musicman

Nicko

8 hours ago, fretmeister said:

The more I revisit this thread the more certain I am that I will just have to own one of the new Specials.

The only question now is 4H or 4HH

Can the 4HH sound just like the 4H?

Yes the HH has a selection with just the bridge humbucker - it's in the same place as the H so sounds the same - but you also have four more very useable tones using the coil selector switch.

Apparently my order is in the course of delivery - to be received at the start of September - HH versions. 

Mine are Aqua sparkle (example 3rd from back on this rack) and Cruz teal (far end of rack). The Bongo 6 at the front of the rack is a new BFR model - looks to have a roasted quarter sawn neck with incredible flame maple. 

image.thumb.jpeg.35e7d07f8299340b83a8fd7c80b0beae.jpeg

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, bazzbass said:

aww cmon you big tease...PICS PLEASE :)

Happy to oblige you with one;

VantageAndHohner.thumb.jpg.d2e0b6512b24dafa8cc03280bd96698b.jpg

If you want more Bazz, create a post and I'll provide some more images.

Sorry for the diversion from the OP.

Edited by SpondonBassed
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, drTStingray said:

Yes the HH has a selection with just the bridge humbucker - it's in the same place as the H so sounds the same - but you also have four more very useable tones using the coil selector switch.

Apparently my order is in the course of delivery - to be received at the start of September - HH versions. 

Mine are Aqua sparkle (example 3rd from back on this rack) and Cruz teal (far end of rack). The Bongo 6 at the front of the rack is a new BFR model - looks to have a roasted quarter sawn neck with incredible flame maple. 

image.thumb.jpeg.35e7d07f8299340b83a8fd7c80b0beae.jpeg

Where did you order yours from?

15 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

Happy to oblige you with one;

VantageAndHohner.thumb.jpg.d2e0b6512b24dafa8cc03280bd96698b.jpg

If you want more Bazz, create a post and I'll provide some more images.

Sorry for the diversion from the OP.

sorry for the derail OP, but bass pron is bass pron hehe, man I miss you, B2A......thanks for posting :)

• Thanks 1

On 04/08/2018 at 13:01, kyuuga said:

How do you like the HS model? it's rarely talked about (H being the obviously most popular config followed by HH) but I feel it's probably the most versatile and not as obtrusive as the HH. Do you feel that way? 

For me the HS is the best of both worlds. It retains 2 out of the 3 single PU tones you get in a regular Sterling H (series and single coil, parallel and single coil on a Stingray5 HS) and still offers 2 flavors of J (sorta') plus the neck pickup soloed. A tad more diverse than the HH model (which has 3 J-like tones, and series for each pickup soloed -parallel on Stingray5 HHs-). Here's a sample of the 5 positions it had (neckside to bridgeside, clean & compressed, then positions 1 -sorta' P- and 2 -sorta' J- picked widh SansAmp crunch). Also, here's a sample of the 9 positions in my current Ray35 "HS" (quite modded). I much prefer this bass. Half the price, similar weight and I added that single coil pickup (AliExpress creature -very decent sounding-) in a position that makes it a little nicer at the P game. The tradeoff of the closer distance between it and the stock humbucker is that J-like tones are a little "Spectoresque", there's a certain "metal friendly" but indeed nasal scoop to it, and also some combinations don't humbuck (there's no phantom coil in this so single coil is real single coil), not a bummer in any way as it's hardly noticeable. I also prefer this bass to the Sterling5 HS because I can mod it without remorse (it's intended in fact to be my "Sagrada Familia", a living creation) something I'd never dare on an EBMM (my Stingray5s, both old 3-coil ceramic, are in fact modded but nothing as invasive as adding a pickup).

Edited by andruca
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 03/08/2018 at 15:00, stingrayPete1977 said:

That teal one is lovely, great neck too. 

On 03/08/2018 at 15:44, CameronJ said:

Oh yes, @andruca the teal one with maple neck is very nice!

It's from 1997, have had it since 2001. It was originally custom ordered by CA bassist Toby Skaard (Poe, Binge, Contact, an EB endorser back then) who in turn sold it to me. Lightest Musicman instrument I've had, just a little over 4kg. Not bad for ash and definitely not bad for 1997. The other blue one is from 2003 and it's noticeably heavier. Here's a closeup pic of the headstock, the grain is really intense and the figures and bird eyes are nice. The neck gets frequent cleaning & oil, it's well maintained really, no sweat stains at all, but it's still sort of "roasting" thru' the years...

myEBMMs_pala1.jpg

This bass has recently lost that Hipshot D-tuner (now on the Frankenray35) and got its original low B tuner back.

Too bad all this Musicman refinement goes to waste in playing punk music 😞...

Edited by andruca
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, andruca said:

For me the HS is the best of both worlds. It retains 2 out of the 3 single PU tones you get in a regular Sterling H (series and single coil, parallel and single coil on a Stingray5 HS) and still offers 2 flavors of J (sorta') plus the neck pickup soloed. A tad more diverse than the HH model (which has 3 J-like tones, and series for each pickup soloed -parallel on Stingray5 HHs-). Here's a sample of the 5 positions it had (neckside to bridgeside, clean & compressed, then positions 1 -sorta' P- and 2 -sorta' J- picked widh SansAmp crunch). Also, here's a sample of the 9 positions in my current Ray35 "HS" (quite modded). I much prefer this bass. Half the price, similar weight and I added that single coil pickup (AliExpress creature -very decent sounding-) in a position that makes it a little nicer at the P game. The tradeoff of the closer distance between it and the stock humbucker is that J-like tones are a little "Spectoresque", there's a certain "metal friendly" but indeed nasal scoop to it, and also some combinations don't humbuck (there's no phantom coil in this so single coil is real single coil), not a bummer in any way as it's hardly noticeable. I also prefer this bass to the Sterling5 HS because I can mod it without remorse (it's intended in fact to be my "Sagrada Familia", a living creation) something I'd never dare on an EBMM (my Stingray5s, both old 3-coil ceramic, are in fact modded but nothing as invasive as adding a pickup).

Thank you! I'm planning on buying my first real Stingray since I'm absolutely in love with them. I own an OLP MM2 and ever since I got it I've been obsessed with the Stingray - the neck shape (I have big hands), the design, the feeling...

But the HS is definitely the version I'm looking at. From the few demos there's on YouTube it looks like it can somewhat emulate a Jazz bass tone with the neck coil + bridge coil, it has that signature 'Ray sound with only the bridge humbucker and can also serve a mellower purpose with the neck coil only.

My question is: from what I've seen some people say there's drops in volume when you switch pickup configurations. Like going from single H to front+bridge coil makes you lose a ton of volume. Is that correct or not really? Also does the single-coil get in the way of slapping as much as an HH or not really?

28 minutes ago, kyuuga said:

My question is: from what I've seen some people say there's drops in volume when you switch pickup configurations. Like going from single H to front+bridge coil makes you lose a ton of volume. Is that correct or not really? Also does the single-coil get in the way of slapping as much as an HH or not really? 

I think that's endemical on post 2008 Musicman Stingray5s/Sterlings. Back when the 3 coil ceramic PUs in Sterlings/Stingray5s there wasn't such volume or EQ mismatches as there are now with the 2 pickup models. Overall this Sterling5 HS sounded thinner than my old ceramic Stingray 5ers, most notably in the two "classic" Musicman positions (just the humbucker, series or single coil). I think the post 2008 redesigned EQ has something to do with it, modern Stingray5 basses also sound thinner than my old ones. In fact Ernie Ball seems to have played a real crappy marketing move lately, they sell you the 30th Anniversary Stingray5 with a "redesigned preamp", but it's in reality a pre-2008 3-coil ceramic PU Stingray5 with the preamp it had back then, exactly like the SR5s I own, just with the added binding and fancy roasted maple. I've tried 2 and they sound exactly like my old SR5s, the EQ acts the same (in modern Stingray5s, besides the obvious change to alnico, the EQ is more tame somehow, in old ones a little boost or cut goes a longer way). To summarize, you should expect not that much of a volume mismatch but certainly be ready to boost some bass on the onboard preamp when moving the switch from anything neck or neck+bridge to only bridge.

Edited by andruca
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, fretmeister said:

Where did you order yours from?

Andertons - ordered beginning of April. 

11 hours ago, andruca said:

I think that's endemical on post 2008 Musicman Stingray5s/Sterlings. Back when the 3 coil ceramic PUs in Sterlings/Stingray5s there wasn't such volume or EQ mismatches as there are now with the 2 pickup models. Overall this Sterling5 HS sounded thinner than my old ceramic Stingray 5ers, most notably in the two "classic" Musicman positions (just the humbucker, series or single coil). I think the post 2008 redesigned EQ has something to do with it, modern Stingray5 basses also sound thinner than my old ones. In fact Ernie Ball seems to have played a real crappy marketing move lately, they sell you the 30th Anniversary Stingray5 with a "redesigned preamp", but it's in reality a pre-2008 3-coil ceramic PU Stingray5 with the preamp it had back then, exactly like the SR5s I own, just with the added binding and fancy roasted maple. I've tried 2 and they sound exactly like my old SR5s, the EQ acts the same (in modern Stingray5s, besides the obvious change to alnico, the EQ is more tame somehow, in old ones a little boost or cut goes a longer way). To summarize, you should expect not that much of a volume mismatch but certainly be ready to boost some bass on the onboard preamp when moving the switch from anything neck or neck+bridge to only bridge.

On the twin pick up SR4s and SR5s, for the different selections you are picking up signal from a different section (s) of the string - with elements of the two humbuckers selected together there's an element of phase cancelling going on. So yes, the EQ is your friend and especially the mids control. 

I did a little experiment at a jam I provide the bass gear for and I had my 4HH Stingray with me - after the jam there was a pretty accomplished bass player there who plays the Mark King sort of stuff so he played and I selected the coils and twiddled the EQ - we started with it flat - with a heavy slap line we got every sort of sound you could want, with decent volume balance - BUT - with both pick ups on H mode the mids needed a boost - with the neck H the treble needed a boost but it got in Alembic territory there and with the outer single coils plus bass and treble boost an acceptable Marcus Miller sound was achieved - along with the stock Stingray and Sabre sounds using the bridge H - the inner coils get towards a P bass sound especially with mids boosted.

Very versatile basses - not quite so easy to slap on as an H but pretty easy with practice. And the bass itself has no extraneous hum even in single coil mode. 

If you don't like the pickguard (SR4HH) you can take it off - no extraneous routing (unlike some makes).

I do feel quite lucky that my favourite production basses can be had with such nice, boutique quality wood, hand finished necks and hand assembled and set up - theyre on a par with more expensive equipment (such as Custom Shop). What more can you want if you like Musicman basses! The BFR Bongos (out later in August but very limited) appear to have extraordinarily fine wood - plus binding!! 

I understand the HS models were dropped because of poor sales unfortunately. Most people wanting multi pick up must go for the HH it seems. 

Edited by drTStingray
  • Like 2

Interesting stuff.  

As a newbie to HH basses (a recently acquired 4HH Stirling) would one of you knowledgeable types be able to advise on the pickup selector options for me?  I copied the below for a Stingray HH from a thread on T***bass, but what about a Sterling?  Is it exactly the same as the ‘ray?

86587A08-3830-42BA-B0FD-05F0301E0A07.jpeg

Edited by Deedee

10 hours ago, ezbass said:

Although I am currently MM-less, here are my previous 'Rays:

That white fretless SUB looks good! 😉

It needed some more Stingray shaped company though, so it now takes the place of the black Sterling SUB in this photo, which has got handed down to the other half's kid. The P bass in the back has long gone, and the only reason the Jazz hasn't been sold is that I keep forgetting it exists.... must dig it out at some point!

I occasionally have some half-hearted GAS for a 5 string or a Bongo - or maybe even a 5 string Bongo - but it never gets to the point I feel the need to get the wallet out...

IMG_20140820_215621.jpg

• Like 1

This picture from my archive must from 2004 when I had a thing for Musicman basses.  The last of these, the Pacific Blue Burst SR5, finally left two weeks ago.

Its place has now been taken by a natural Sterling, the third I've owned over the years - I'll never understand why I ever sold the others. :facepalm:

mmFamily2.jpg

• Like 5

I love my Ray 5, I actually don't understand why all 5 strings don't have the narrower MM spacing. It's still wide enough to play slap, but manageable with normal sized hands.

I agree that a Stingray 4 (or classic/USA Sub) are among the nicest looking basses ever, unfortunately the "normal" Ray 5 is not pretty, but it more than makes up for it in quality.

1 minute ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

I don't mind the look of the normal five tbh, the classic five does look and feel special though. 

I would like one at some point, though the oiled neck on my 5 is one of my favourite features, I think I'd miss that on the classic.

36 minutes ago, obbm said:

mmFamily2.jpg

What's that little guy on the far right? I spot a pre-EB/Early EB headstock logo, gold hardware, early string tree placement and a mahogany finish... not a configuration I'm familiar with

Edited by Duarte

59 minutes ago, stoo said:

I occasionally have some half-hearted GAS for a 5 string or a Bongo - or maybe even a 5 string Bongo - but it never gets to the point I feel the need to get the wallet out...

Do it. 5 string Bongos are the sh!t.

42083912740_c942f3d157_b.jpgBONGOS by Zak Duarte, on Flickr

Edited by Duarte
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, obbm said:

This picture from my archive must from 2004 when I had a thing for Musicman basses.  The last of these, the Pacific Blue Burst SR5, finally left two weeks ago.

Its place has now been taken by a natural Sterling, the third I've owned over the years - I'll never understand why I ever sold the others. :facepalm:

mmFamily2.jpg

To be fair, that pacific blue burst SR5 is a seriously handsome bass. Right up my street. Out of interest (and a slight derail of the thread) has anyone here played a Sandberg Basic? I'm attempting to work out whether it's a close enough version of a 'Ray to quell my GAS 😕

1 hour ago, Duarte said:

Do it. 5 string Bongos are the sh!t.

42083912740_c942f3d157_b.jpgBONGOS by Zak Duarte, on Flickr

You are definitely correct - and I recognise that middle one!! 👍

image.jpeg.f0ec84515fa058b2f3680a8fdc90e3ea.jpeg

I used it the other day at an outdoor festival type gig - broke all the 'accepted rules' - DI from my Mark Bass amp - post EQ. Sounded fabulous - the PA/sound guys came and asked me about the bass after the set - they were highly impressed with the sound and particularly compared with the Rics and Tbirds they were dealing with from other bands. The Bongo's a secret weapon!! 

Edited by drTStingray