Why become a member? ×

Lets talk about Musicman

Nicko

The Stingray was one of the basses that I lusted after as a kid and as soon as was in the position to buy one I did. 

Beautiful bass, excellent build quality and that wonderful tone... mine was all black with a rosewood board and looked the absolute business. 

I loved it. But I just couldn’t get it to work for me. I struggled to get it to sit properly in the mix of my band. It always sounded good but there was just something missing. It sat in it’s case doing nothing whilst various P and J models came my way and fulfilled my requirements more satisfactorily. After a couple of years I decided to move it on. Pity, because it’s a lovely bass, just not for me. 

F8FEF15C-34BB-4B6C-8110-754F674735B5.jpeg

I bought my first Musicman Stingray in 1999 - it was a 5 string and the reason I got it was I had the money, was heavily into the Chili Peppers and saw Flea use one to record Funky Monks. I also had the matching Gallien Krueger 800RB amp

Sold it after 7 years and went through a revolving door of basses including about 10+ stingrays but never found what I wanted until a couple of years ago when I had a shoulder injury. My SR5 at the time was too heavy for long gigs so I decided to get a US EBMM Sterling and that ended my search for the perfect bass.

A few basses have come and gone in that time but the Sterling remains and I can't see me ever parting with it. Great sound, the smaller body & narrower neck suits me plus it has the Stingray sound I always wanted despite not being a Stingray.

The build quality is excellent- - there are no good years or bad years, they're generally consistently good from one year to the next.

In my view and experience, after owning a few MMs and Fenders, the HH MMs are possibly the most versatile basses out there.

I’ve owed mid-80’s and early 2000’s single H 4 strings and now my current main squeeze which is a 20th anniversary SR5 HH. Purchased over a 20 year period and all have been beautifully built and finished. I’m afraid to say I can’t say the same of the various Fender Jazzes I’ve owned.

Whilst prices have increased in recent years I think they’re still cracking basses at a reasonable price point. You are still getting quality, absolutely no doubt.

For those questioning versatility with ‘that sound’ in a live band context and fitting in the mix, get hold of a HH. You won’t be disappointed...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Captain Bassman said:

In my view and experience, after owning a few MMs and Fenders, the HH MMs are possibly the most versatile basses out there.

For those questioning versatility with ‘that sound’ in a live band context and fitting in the mix, get hold of a HH. You won’t be disappointed...

Yup, they are so versatile, that for me, they were too versatile... So many great sounds that I couldn’t stop fiddling, so I went back to a single H just to keep focus on playing and not twiddling! 

That said, I wouldn’t bet against owning one again in the future, probably a 2018 Special ;) 

• Haha 1

10 years ago, you couldn't have given me an MM bass. I was playing Fender, Status and F.bass at the time. 

About 5 years ago, I bought a cheapy 5 string from BCer Josh to use at dodgy venues and leave at the rehearsal studio. It very quickly became my main bass. Just so perfect in every respect. It was an OLP Stingray.  I figured out eventually that it was the string spacing that made all the difference for me. So, I invested in the (nearly) real thing, a USA SUB5. Wrong move as it didnt have Stingray spacing however, it did have the sound. So, as I wasn't playing 4 strings any more, I've just traded my 4 string Jazz with Skidder's MM Stingray 5. I'm now a complete convert. Great tone, perfect playability and due to mine having a Glock preamp, has active passive option so only need to take one bass to gigs as I used to panic about batteries dying.

Not sure about any USP but have to say, in my case, it covers all points. Build quality, tone, playability, retains a decent resale value, great to look at and allows me to cover any genre of music. Studio techs and sound guys love them too. They know exactly how to mix them.

33 minutes ago, PawelG said:

I’m sorry for possible silly question but what is “USP”?

Unique Selling Point.

I tried a Stingray HH out a few years ago, and it wasn’t half as versatile as I was expecting for a double humbucker bass. Still sounded good though obviously.

If i was going to buy one, it would just be a classic natural/maple single humbucker one :)

Si

Edited by Sibob
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is my music man, 1987 birds eye maple edition; been through some fun times as well as very sad , and played by the great funky Pete on many occasions, I could never make it sound the same , but love this bass and the sound it gives.2763D28D-A1BC-406F-8136-CC3B383D4F2D.thumb.jpeg.ae7bf20ff7701087944772cada06d267.jpeg

Edited by Wegga66

Ok so versatile can mean different things to different people, of course! 😄

Treble back a quarter, mid at centre detente, bass up a quarter, 5-way switch in the middle (amp EQ generally flat, room depending) does it 99% of the time for pretty much every song in our set, as far as out front sound is concerned. Punches through out front and sounds full and clear for the rest of the band.

Leave everything as is, flick the 5-way back towards the bridge for the classic MM single H honk (or faux Jazz bridge sound), or flick it full towards the neck for a very passable P bass with the tone at half.

Roll the mids off, crank the bass a bit more and 5-way at neck position = very passable P with tone off.

No other bass I’ve owned or currently own can do this as effectively in a live context. All in my opinion and experience of course.

i love my Stingray! ❤️❤️

• Like 1

The Stingray was always my dream bass, ideally in translucent teal green or natural with maple neck. When the band I was in got a record deal in 1998, we negotiated an advance each to buy new gear. I asked for £5k and popped to the Bass Centre in Wapping and got me a 3EQ translucent teal green Stingray. I was so excited, it was gorgeous but my excitement was short lived. No matter what I did, it just never sounded good for me. Thin, twangy, buzzy and just horrible. I was playing guitar punk pop and it just never worked where a Precision or Jazz was right. I eventually sold it.

A few years later, having not given up on the idea, I bought myself a lovely natural 3eq Stingray to use in a new band but again, despite coming close, I just couldn't get it to work tonally so I sold it.

Now, 8 years ago, and still not prepared to give up on my dream bass, I got myself a 2eq translucent teal green Stingray from Tom1946 on here and she is a totally different beast. Way more versatile tonally than a 3eq and I totally love her. I still don't think I will be fully comfortable with the Stingray tone over a Precision or Jazz but the 2eq certainly is a lot closer and easier to dial in for me so for now I am happy. 

26248_1361392307664_6386138_n.jpg

Edited by Linus27
  • Like 3

I've never understood the "not versatile" thing, there must be an example of one being used in every genre of music to good affect. 

I think there are players that have a fixed way of playing that are used to being able to adjust from front to back pickup along with the tone or EQ controls to get a variety of sounds, imo it's the player that lacks the versatility not the bass. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Delberthot said:

I bought my first Musicman Stingray in 1999 - it was a 5 string and the reason I got it was I had the money, was heavily into the Chili Peppers and saw Flea use one to record Funky Monks. I also had the matching Gallien Krueger 800RB amp

Sold it after 7 years and went through a revolving door of basses including about 10+ stingrays but never found what I wanted until a couple of years ago when I had a shoulder injury. My SR5 at the time was too heavy for long gigs so I decided to get a US EBMM Sterling and that ended my search for the perfect bass.

A few basses have come and gone in that time but the Sterling remains and I can't see me ever parting with it. Great sound, the smaller body & narrower neck suits me plus it has the Stingray sound I always wanted despite not being a Stingray.

The build quality is excellent- - there are no good years or bad years, they're generally consistently good from one year to the next.

Up until a couple of years ago I played 4H Stingrays almost exclusively.  Had lots, 2 and 3 band but then just fell for the simplicity of a Fender P.

More recently I had a Sandberg PM4.  Loved the sound and flexibility of the p and MM pickups but couldn’t get on with the pickup positioning.

Fast forward to today.  Popped into a localish music shop (just for nosey as you do) and saw that they had a used black and Rosewood Stirling 4HH for sale at a very reasonable price.  Now, the Stirling model has never been on my radar as I’d gotten into my head that the neck was too thin/Jazz for me. However, I fell in love with it.  It played great, felt instantly comfortable to play but more importantly the range of useable tones was a revelation.  I snapped it up there and then and can’t wait to use it in anger. 😃

96AE0B26-E855-4E8D-BC98-E6B2D4B483DC.jpeg

A30704FB-B292-4A3B-BBE3-14CE05CE7B61.jpeg

• Like 1

I love the neck. It's the best 4-string neck I have encountered. I picked one up in a shop ten years ago and it was a revelation. The 5-strings are "what were they thinking?" dreadful. Neck is too narrow, the G-string is insanely close to the edge and the pick guard is the wrong shape. Just my opinion of course 😄

I don't play mine that much because I mostly play 5s now but it's definitely not going anywhere. 

Edited by thepurpleblob

I have to say I’d had no real interest or GAS for a Stingray until late last year when I paid a visit to Bass Direct and tried a couple. I was very pleasantly surprised at how good they felt and sounded. I played a 4 (Old Smoothie, 2eq) and a 5 (3eq) and both were really nice. Since then I’ve had a tiny voice in the back of my head whispering to me that I need a Stingray in my arsenal. Hmmm...

11 hours ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

I've never understood the "not versatile" thing, there must be an example of one being used in every genre of music to good affect. 

I think there are players that have a fixed way of playing that are used to being able to adjust from front to back pickup along with the tone or EQ controls to get a variety of sounds, imo it's the player that lacks the versatility not the bass. 

For me with the 3eq Stingray's I had, I would certainly say that my inexperience and the lack of being able to setup EQ's and understanding the Stingray controls I am guilty of. In my defense though, I could simply plug a Precision and Jazz in to my amps and instantly get an amazing tone that worked straight out of the box.

I now play 50's/60's rock and roll so really this is way more suited to a Precision or Jazz than a Stingray. I have yet to try my 2eq Stingray with this genre but this weekend I may give it a go. I'll keep you posted.

I always gassed for a Stingray purely on their looks. I did own a 1996 2 EQ version 7 or 8 years back but I could not get a sound I liked out of it.

I sold on here to Lojo.

So I went back to my trusted Precisions.

Edited by Hobbayne

If I could have just one higher cost bass then it's  a Stingray in natural finish. Only a Fender Jazz , also natural finish, comes close. Why? mainly because Louis Johnson - my fave player  - played one in his Star Licks video. This is what taught me to play slap  / funk bass. I can't justify the £2k price tag so got myself a SUB. Despite being less than £300 it certainly doesn't feel or play like a cheap bass. Not that I gig much these days I wouldn't be at all ashamed about playing one in public.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SpondonBassed said:

Thanks.  I'll enjoy that a bit later.  Does he get his funk fingers out?

Sadly, no, but I’m going to start playing the intro to Sledgehammer differently from now on, you’ll see why when you watch it. :) 

I am now on my third Stingray after trying a few different basses and unfortunately having to sell one for financial reasons. For me there are a couple of big selling points which bring me back to the bass not including the very consistent build quality. The neck is beautifully finished and the nut width is just about spot on for me as I struggle with the Jazz bass nut width. The big pickup has bark and you can do so much with it and a 3 band EQ, I find it really cuts through live which is a big thing for me. The pickup position is also really comfortable for me as I pretty much always anchor my thumb on the pickup cover. I never quite get comfortable with the Precision pickup position and a jazz is a bit too far back although more comfortable than a Precision. I still love J and P basses but the small things just make a Stingray the perfect bass for me at the moment.

I had two USA Stingray SUBs which I loved the sound of but did not like the, baseball bat like, painted necks.

I recently played a second-hand Stingray, at my local guitar shop, that had a fantastic Jazz like neck.

I believe it's the SLO version.

Of course I bought it immediately!

The USP is the Stingray's low mid punch, which sounds to me like the combination of a bass guitar and kick drum playing simultaneously.

It's also very light.

Edited by gjones