Why become a member? ×

Live music in Edinburgh

lozkerr

Hi everyone,

Next month, I'll be upping sticks and moving back to Edinburgh. There's a wee bit to do on my flat, so it'll be a while before I'll be heading over to JMB again. But in the meantime, I was wondering if anyone could pass on some insights into the live music scene in Auld Reekie? My local there does have live music, but it tends to be finger-in-the-ear folky stuff about auld reiver Tam and his twa grey dugs, accompanied by traditional Scottish instruments like the, er, banjo. Not really my thing.

Whistle Binkies is just down the road from me, so doubtless I'll be in there a lot, but I'd like to know of any other good venues easily reached from the city centre. Ideally I'd like to take the Goat in Berkhamsted with me, but I suspect the owners might complain, even if it would fit under all the motorway bridges. If there's anywhere similar to there in Edinburgh though, I'd love to hear about it.

And any recommendations for bass teachers in or around Edinburgh would be very welcome, too!

Many thanks,

Laura 

20 minutes ago, gjones said:

Yes I forgot about the Barony. Jazz on a Saturday and other genres on a Sunday. We're playing there next on Sunday 16th Sept. Come along.

Thanks! I'll do that. It'll be nice to meet a fellow BCer if you'll have time to say hello! 

Edited by lozkerr

4 hours ago, Angelus said:

A friend has messaged me saying he’s got a gig in a motorcycle showroom on a Sunday afternoon next month, not sure which one yet, but thought it was one odd place for a rock gig.

Harley dealerships do it quite regularly. Edinburgh Harley have just moved to a new shop near Hermiston gate and their official open day is mid Aug i think altho i was sure it was a Sat.

West Coast Harley in Glasgow have open days over a weekend so bands on both days weather permitting.

Dave

A couple of bassists from my neck of the woods are in Edinburgh.

You'll miss Grant Sharkey who's playing the Edinburgh fringe right now. He's a one man show of both comedy and music with a heavy dose of politics. About 5 years ago he threatened to go full time musician and release 2 albums a year for the next 20, so far he's kept to that threat 😁.

T'other southern softie bassist is Dan from Hans Klammer. They're an Edinburgh based band who's influences are Can, Neu and Sigur Ros among others.

Good luck with the move, been to Edinburgh a few times, lovely city.

12 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Harley dealerships do it quite regularly. Edinburgh Harley have just moved to a new shop near Hermiston gate and their official open day is mid Aug i think altho i was sure it was a Sat.

West Coast Harley in Glasgow have open days over a weekend so bands on both days weather permitting.

Dave

Turns out it’s the 9th of September at the new showroom. Think I’ll take a trip in and see how it goes. 

• Like 1

On 01/08/2018 at 12:22, lozkerr said:

Next month, I'll be upping sticks and moving back to Edinburgh.

Good luck with the move.

I take it you'll miss the Festival else I'd have recommended you see a fringe act by Jim Tavaré.  Not sure if he has his double bass with him now because of a nasty car accident he had.  The story of his near crippling accident is the subject of his stand-up routine.

Jim Tavaré: From Deadpan to Bedpan

Hoping you find a band before the year is out but after you've got the new place to your satisfaction.

3 hours ago, SpondonBassed said:

Good luck with the move.

I take it you'll miss the Festival else I'd have recommended you see a fringe act by Jim Tavaré.  Not sure if he has his double bass with him now because of a nasty car accident he had.  The story of his near crippling accident is the subject of his stand-up routine.

Jim Tavaré: From Deadpan to Bedpan

Hoping you find a band before the year is out but after you've got the new place to your satisfaction.

Thanks! 🙂 Yes, sadly I will miss the Festival this year but we should be done and dusted for Christmas and Hogmanay. My flat's let for holidays at the moment, and it's booked solid until the 28th August. In the meantime, we're picking furniture, packing stuff up and sorting out mundane things like parking permits.

It's a good time to be moving; the council's starting to clamp down on holiday lets. Although the headlines are still mostly noise rather than action, I've had a couple of snotty letters about the proliferation of key boxes at the street door, and from talking to neighbours it looks like there's a blitz on. The justification they're using is that most of the Old Town is a conservation area and UNESCO World Heritage site (which is true), and a lot of the tenements are listed buildings (which is also true), so the threat of the planning contravention ban hammer is being used. It won't affect me, as I only have one key box and I've got the OK from the council to leave it in place until the end of the month, but some people have loads of short-term lets, so they're in for some bother.

We have some big jobs to do, and after that we'll be living in the flat while we get the smaller things done. Most of my gear will have to go into store, but I have treated myself to a Steinberger travelling bass so I can keep my hand in. I don't want to be too rusty when I start looking for a band!

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, lozkerr said:

Thanks! 🙂 Yes, sadly I will miss the Festival this year but we should be done and dusted for Christmas and Hogmanay. My flat's let for holidays at the moment, and it's booked solid until the 28th August. In the meantime, we're picking furniture, packing stuff up and sorting out mundane things like parking permits.

It's a good time to be moving; the council's starting to clamp down on holiday lets. Although the headlines are still mostly noise rather than action, I've had a couple of snotty letters about the proliferation of key boxes at the street door, and from talking to neighbours it looks like there's a blitz on. The justification they're using is that most of the Old Town is a conservation area and UNESCO World Heritage site (which is true), and a lot of the tenements are listed buildings (which is also true), so the threat of the planning contravention ban hammer is being used. It won't affect me, as I only have one key box and I've got the OK from the council to leave it in place until the end of the month, but some people have loads of short-term lets, so they're in for some bother.

We have some big jobs to do, and after that we'll be living in the flat while we get the smaller things done. Most of my gear will have to go into store, but I have treated myself to a Steinberger travelling bass so I can keep my hand in. I don't want to be too rusty when I start looking for a band!

I am a landlord myself.

I let my house to give me an income while I moved back in with Mum so she could stay at home for her final years.  One of the letting agents had a slack attitude which made me think that they were dealing with so many Buy to Let landlords that they thought "nobody cares so why should we?"  Their service was getting complaints from my tenants as well as getting right up my nose instead of sorting out stuff like they were being paid for.

I binned them and the current agent is a world away from them in terms of quality.  They understand that it is my house and even though I live at the house inherited from Mum that I might want one day to retire back there.

Buy to Let is causing ripples and may one day cause a wave that would tip us genuinely interested landlords right out of the boat.  Your situation is one thing but I gather there are other plans on the horizon to regulate landlords.  Marvellous.