Why become a member? ×

P-Bass with 2 MM pups

LewisK1975

I had 2G&L ASATs which are the same pick ups and pre amps

well made basses, really nice

Loads of guts to the pick ups for my tastes almost too much as those MFD’s are wound hot and more Treble I think because as Leo had hearing and high end heating loss he compensated in his pick ups.

If you can tame them they will work for you, but if you like pre amps and pedals it may be difficult to get the sound as they can be too much IMO

• Like 1

On 02/08/2018 at 09:49, LewisK1975 said:

Whilst this is absolutely true, the main sound I'd be looking to get in the ball park of is the Wal sound, which do have the rear pickup further back.

Here's a great vid of a Bass which Carey Nordstrand made for Justin Chancellor (I think Chancellor ultimately rejected it), but it shows that you can get pretty darn close to the Wal tone, without paying £5k+ for it..Be sure to listen with headphones / good speakers!

Ooohhh, I liked the sound of that

.. or just keep your eyes open for a Wal; prices fluctuate quite a bit often nipping below £4k and you can always sell them for about what you pay.  Sure, a new one or one in mint condition with all the fancies (gold hardware, LED markers, highly figured top wood) will cost a load, but a lightly beat up 4-string one in one of the more common finishes will sound much the same.

There have been a couple recently for €4000 or so and one at £3250 (check here and the Wal Owners facebook page).  Or just say to hell with ever having savings and buy this (may appreciate faster than an ISA anyway, so you can pretend it's an investment ;¬) ).

If I were a good enough bass player to justify the basses I already own, I'd have this one in a shot.