Why become a member? ×

Fender Jazz always for sale

Quilly

No matter what market place I look at these basses are always for sale. I’ve sold a few myself and never really found one I was happy with . Not just mim ones either , anything from squire affinity to vintage Mia basses. They seem to be far more available than p basses. Is there something not quite right with them , or what ?

I've noticed that there's more Jazz basses for sale recently because I've been looking for a Precision. They're not better or worse because that's entirely subjective. Most of the basses for sale of either variety have been sunburst, which I can entirely understand.

Not just jazz basses of variable prices but 5 strings of all types seem to dominate.

4 strings seem to be thin on the ground - either they're at the cheap end or the over expensive end, generally speaking

I currently own a non fender precision (sand berg) and a non fender jazz (a mayones) and I’ve no desire to sell either of them. I’ve never been able to find ‘the’ fender jazz  bass but I know they must be out there somewhere 

13 hours ago, Quilly said:

I currently own a non fender precision (sand berg) and a non fender jazz (a mayones) and I’ve no desire to sell either of them. I’ve never been able to find ‘the’ fender jazz  bass but I know they must be out there somewhere 

Snap on the Sandberg.  The best non-F jazz bass in my possession is my ACG.  I do also have a Limelight replica of Geddy's '72 Jazz which is pretty good and a proper vintage P which is great but not for gigging at every venue we play at!

You've only got to look at the number of Jazz copies offered by pretty much every manufacturer, from small luthiers to huge companies to see how ubiquitous the design is. Sadly, it's one that's never appealed to me - tho I've owned a few, and for the record, one of the best was a Lakland DJ4 - I'd go so far as to say the number of Jazz lookylikeys out there outnumber all the other designs put together...which would indicate that far from there being anything wrong with them, for most bassists, there's everything right with them, there's just an overwhelming amount of choice...

I think they vary so, so much.

I've had MIA, AVRI, even a CV Squier when they came out.

For me, I could never get the Jazz sound in my head to come out when I played. Only one I ever really loved was my Geddy MIJ, super bass that was.

However, few months back I managed to get a US Ged. Finally a Jazz I 'get' - it's a much nicer bass than my MIJ, and has got 'that' tone. 

Every other Jazz I played was always too polite. This does the angry wasp thing, but can also get mellow and very P-like if required. Both the things which all J's are supposed do, but rarely in my playing, do I find they ever did!

Maybe it is just what you are not looking for that come up for sale. When I look basically the world is full of P basses for sale, and then a few jazz basses then a couple of others. 

I have only once played a P bass I actually really liked (I have a squier P that is ok, but it is just there for sentintal reason, I don't 'get' p basses), which was last week. A Precision bass elite. 

But really I am a 5 string player. 

I've bought and sold a fair few. I like the look and sound, but the narrow nut width is my stumbling block. Yes, I could fit a P neck I suppose.

Best Jazz I had was a Sire V7 Marcus Miller. Growled like a bear and had a very nice 7.25" radius rosewood board. Should have kept it 

But at heart I'm not really happy unless I've got a big handful of P Bass...

I think you have to look out for the Different Fender jazz basses 

My three are a geddy Lee MIM badäss bridge. A fender 74 reissue u profile neck  and and Fender deluxe 2012   which all sound good to me 

Edited by Dad3353