Why become a member? ×

Jazz bass - best bag or case please?

mytilini

Hi everyone.  Just got a Revelation RBN Neo J-bass.  4-string, inline machine heads, but it wouldn't fit my Hiscox STD-EBS case - headstock overhangs the edge.  Am now looking at a Hiscox STD-EBP, whilst it's currently happily living in a RockCase by Warwick RC 20805 B soft light rectangular case.  Was looking for helpful suggestions of U.K.-available very well padded gig bags & cases that follow the guitar shape, i.e. not slab-sided rectangles.  Can't find a Hiscox STD-EBP in stock with any music shop to try this bass in, so your experiences & thoughts would be most welcome.  Thanks in advance! :D

I use one of these for my Sire Jazz:

https://www.thomann.de/gb/gator_g_pg_bass_guitar_bag.htm

Rigid soft case which has a great array of features like a laptop/tablet pocket (I put my Fishman DI in it), cable velcro loops, string pocket on the front, large pocket at the headstock (can fit a standard DI pedal), inbuilt rain cover along with two handy pockets in the main compartment for 9v adapters, batteries etc. Although it's long it's very comfortable to carry and is very tough, the padding does a great job of protecting your bass and there is a large padded section at the bottom to cushion the strap button. 

Best gigbag you can get for £99 IMO and as good as much more expensive high end brands.

Edited by lemmywinks

9 hours ago, lemmywinks said:

I use one of these for my Sire Jazz:

https://www.thomann.de/gb/gator_g_pg_bass_guitar_bag.htm

Rigid soft case which has a great array of features like a laptop/tablet pocket (I put my Fishman DI in it), cable velcro loops, string pocket on the front, large pocket at the headstock (can fit a standard DI pedal), inbuilt rain cover along with two handy pockets in the main compartment for 9v adapters, batteries etc. Although it's long it's very comfortable to carry and is very tough, the padding does a great job of protecting your bass and there is a large padded section at the bottom to cushion the strap button. 

Best gigbag you can get for £99 IMO and as good as much more expensive high end brands.

I have one of the ProGo cases and completely agree - its excellent.......

And i also picked up one of these recently because they were such a dumb price - its 90% as good as the Gator (a bit bigger inside though which may work better for you) https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Original-Blake-Bravo-Bass-Guitar-Case-Brand-New/253660672423?hash=item3b0f5ab1a7:g:jsIAAOSwWfdbEEvn

44 minutes ago, Mudpup said:

I have one of the ProGo cases and completely agree - its excellent.......

And i also picked up one of these recently because they were such a dumb price - its 90% as good as the Gator (a bit bigger inside though which may work better for you) https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Original-Blake-Bravo-Bass-Guitar-Case-Brand-New/253660672423?hash=item3b0f5ab1a7:g:jsIAAOSwWfdbEEvn

Haha yeah I started a thread on those cases when they were £30, I bought two! Possibly a bit on the big side but for the money they're the best out there, I prefer the pockets and features on the Gator as everything I use seems to have it's place. No doubting the quality of the Blake though - it's a true premium bag at flimsy gigbag money.

Thanks for your replies, all!

@lemmywinks - agreed, the Gator looks good, but one of my concerns with gig bags IS, all those extra pockets & stuff.  I carry all my accessories in a separate toolcase and really just want a gig bag to be very well padded & clasp the instrument tightly.  So they ARE Jazz basses you put into these, yes?  If so, again is the inner part of the bag a good, tight fit on the upper & lower bouts please?

@sifi2112 - yeah, this sure looks good.  On Thomann's site, the interior looks like it's got a nice tight-fitting cushion, shaped specifically for J-basses, i.e. an offset body style.  If it's not too cheeky, is there ANY chance of asking you to post a piccie of your Jazz lying within the opened case please?  Thanks in advance if you can 9_9!

@The59Sound - I must say, I do tend to agree with you.  But as my J-bass doesn't fit into a STD-EBS, am I correct in presuming that you must have the teardrop-shaped STD-EBP...again, IF I'm correct, is there any chance of a piccie, pretty please...?!

@Mudpup - as earlier, the Gator has a nice narrow shape; I'm guessing it is quite snug around a J-bass then?  But the Blake Bravo advertised on eBay has an image of a J-bass lying in an open example with a LOAD of space around the body...yes price is good, but for me, I'd rather hold the bass' body more tightly within the bag.

Thanks for ALL your suggestions to-date - very much appreciated and most informative.  So, hard case options look to be narrowing toward the SKB or (ideally) the Hiscox STD-EBP - any other contenders, if you please...?!

19 minutes ago, mytilini said:

@lemmywinks - agreed, the Gator looks good, but one of my concerns with gig bags IS, all those extra pockets & stuff.  I carry all my accessories in a separate toolcase and really just want a gig bag to be very well padded & clasp the instrument tightly.  So they ARE Jazz basses you put into these, yes?  If so, again is the inner part of the bag a good, tight fit on the upper & lower bouts please?

Have a look:

GPG_1.jpg

GPG_2.jpg

The front pocket isn't particularly bulky if it's empty and will flatten a bit against the bag. Here's mine fully laden with a large Fishman preamp, 3 cables, a compact power supply, 4 batteries and a few bits and bobs in the zip pocket at the front:

GPG_3.jpg

With a J bass in the Blake has a a lot of free space around the edges, it was apparently designed to take all manner of basses and people on the other thread found the Chowny fits. I use mine with a compact bodied Cort and it's fine though, definitely protects the bass with no issues.

55 minutes ago, mytilini said:

Thanks for your replies, all!

@sifi2112 - yeah, this sure looks good.  On Thomann's site, the interior looks like it's got a nice tight-fitting cushion, shaped specifically for J-basses, i.e. an offset body style.  If it's not too cheeky, is there ANY chance of asking you to post a piccie of your Jazz lying within the opened case please?  Thanks in advance if you can 9_9!

@The59Sound - I must say, I do tend to agree with you.  But as my J-bass doesn't fit into a STD-EBS, am I correct in presuming that you must have the teardrop-shaped STD-EBP...again, IF I'm correct, is there any chance of a piccie, pretty please...?!

@Mudpup - as earlier, the Gator has a nice narrow shape; I'm guessing it is quite snug around a J-bass then?  But the Blake Bravo advertised on eBay has an image of a J-bass lying in an open example with a LOAD of space around the body...yes price is good, but for me, I'd rather hold the bass' body more tightly within the bag.

Thanks for ALL your suggestions to-date - very much appreciated and most informative.  So, hard case options look to be narrowing toward the SKB or (ideally) the Hiscox STD-EBP - any other contenders, if you please...?!

Yeah, it's the tear one. No gaps at either end, perfect fit.

Hi again,

Thanks for your further ideas peops...!:

@Cuzzie - cheers, cos I'd never even heard of Fusion gig bags before.  They do look to have some innovative ideas don't they?

@bobthedog - thank you; so that's a +1 for the Gator?!

@lemmywinks - thanks for the photos, MUCH appreciated.  Yep I can see how snugly that (BTW, lovely-looking!) SIre J-bass body fits into the lower part - because of that, I guess you don't miss any hold-in-place neck bracing and the cushion alone supports it firmly?  Certainly looks well protected enough doesn't it?

@fretmeister - thanks again for another new idea!

All-in-all and on the The59Sound's say-so that a J-bass does fit snugly, I've opted for the Hiscox STD-EBP.  The smooth teardrop shape, no external pockets and very positive experience I've had with my earlier Hiscox case for my Yamaha 5-string, makes this my best bet.  I also reckon they're pretty good value for money; some of the prices of those U.S.-imported gig bags are astronomical...

Thanks again to all who's suggestions helped me make up my mind.

• Like 1

Warmoth Dinky jazz extra lightweight swamp ash body, wenge quartersawn slim jazz neck, rosewood fb ss 6230 frets, barekuckle ‘60 pe pups (fab!) in 70’s position Sandberg bridge, Schaller bml tuners, vol pot pups wired parallel .. best jazz I’ve ever had :) .. well you did ask lol

• Like 1

Just met up with Mark with a number of cases to see which best fit his bass.

Because of the headstock design the Revelation RBN Neo J-bass is annoyingly about 3/4" longer than a standard jazz which means, as he says, it doesn't fit in a Hiscox STD-EBS case. I checked. I also took along a Hiscox Teardrop case, which is long enough but is too wide and allows lateral movement - not what you want, if it can be helped. The bass didn't fit the generic case which I also took along.

Short of having cushions made (or fill some football socks) I'm not sure who makes a case to suit.

I don't understand why Revelation would make a bass that's "just too long" for standard cases unless they believe that this will encourage buyers of this model to buy their case too.

I fear that this might come back to bite them in the asss.

A huge thanks to Mick, whom I'd fully intended to buy the Hiscox STD.EBP "teardrop"-shaped bass.  You may recall, earlier contributions stating that a jazz bass fits with no wiggling or gaps anywhere.  Of course neither of us stated scale lengths: the Revelation RBN Neo is a standard 34". So, it deffo "shook" in the teardrop, despite length of neck+headstock being A.O.K.  But it was too long for the "standard" Hiscox.  BTW, this was exactly as Hiscox's Sales Manager said...!

The problem seems to be an additional decorative milled edge on the upper edge of the headstock.  This adds a good 20mm. seeming to make it too long for a STD.EBS case....grrrrr.  Ironically, Mick & I had discussed the option of this axe fitting only a Revelation branded bag or case....only trouble is, there are NO such things...! Sutherland Trading (U.K. importers) referred me to their own imported range.

Nett result: my otherwise-superb Revelation RBN Neo 4-string will live out its life in a perfectly-fitting RockCase by Warwick RC 20805 B, even though it's not what I'd intended...