Why become a member? ×

The Rush Tribute Project

LewisK1975

On 08/08/2018 at 19:45, Bilbo said:

To paraphrase someone else on here.... Impressive and Pointless

Why is it pointless?

I don't get comments like yours,it would seem that anything that isn't jazz is pointless to some people.

Surely you play jazz classics,so that must be pointless too.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, artisan said:

Why is it pointless?

I don't get comments like yours,it would seem that anything that isn't jazz is pointless to some people.

Surely you play jazz classics,so that must be pointless too.

I think Bilbo’s always struggled to understand why he should stoop to the levels of entertaining people less clever than himself 😄

• Haha 3

19 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

I think Bilbo’s always struggled to understand why he should stoop to the levels of entertaining people less clever than himself 😄

I'd love to hear Geddy play some Jazz...........he doesn't mind a bit of odd time signature stuff.  he might struggle with the 'random' notes though?

Edited by martthebass

3 minutes ago, martthebass said:

I'd love to hear Geddy play some Jazz..........

I can’t remember the specifics, but there’s an audio clip on Youtube of a Rush gig where one of ‘em does a flub, and for a few seconds it collapses into a proper tuneless cacophony.

just listen to that section on repeat.

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

I can’t remember the specifics, but there’s an audio clip on Youtube of a Rush gig where one of ‘em does a flub, and for a few seconds it collapses into a proper tuneless cacophony.

just listen to that section on repeat.

Definitely jazz then 😁

1 hour ago, wateroftyne said:

That's not what I struggle with, WoT. it's the 'tribute' thing (you all know I struggle with this - I was talking to a guy just yesterday who I respect but who plays in three or four top quality tribute acts. My idea of hell; his idea of making a living). I just don't get why people put that much effort into reproducing something that is already out there. I feel the same way about Jazz tributes (and anyone who knows me personally will know that). 'X plays the music of Horace Silver', 'Y plays the music of Miles Davis' etc. I play with some of these things as a dep occasionally (got a Miles one coming up soon) but these are 'read the dots' gigs so you just turn up and play. To prepare and rehearse a whole evening's music as a note by note reproduction/soundalike project, even to the point of the bass player using the same basses, playing the same keyboards and having the same hair, always strikes me as clever, even admirable, but, in the end, utterly, utterly ridiculous. 

As has been said, however, this is nothing more than an opinion and there is a small chance, just a small one, that Felixstowe's third best bass player may be completely full of doo doo. :P

32 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

How can you both admire something and view it as an object of ridicule?

It also seems to me to be slightly hypocritical to despise something which you also do yourself, albeit less full on.

Tributes bring a lot of happiness to a lot of people, especially if going to see the original is an impossibility, which I guess Rush now fall into.

Probably hard to believe, I know, but I suspect that Bilbo is, in fact human..! :swoon: He probably (not 'certainly', but 'probably'...) has feelings and emotions, just as outlandish, illogical and contradictory as most of us (well, me, at least...). I, for instance, don't approve of folks burning up fossil fuels in guzzling vehicles. I'll be going to the shops, however, in a few minutes in my car. Hypocrite..? Yup..! :i-m_so_happy:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Tributes bring a lot of happiness to a lot of people, especially if going to see the original is an impossibility, which I guess Rush now fall into.

I couldn't put it better than that.  Especially after the artist has passed away.

How many Elvis impersonators are there in the world currently?  I found the question had been asked in 2008 and I've pasted an answer below:

"There is a lot of speculation as to how many Elvis impersonators are out there, with experts reckoning that the number of Elvis Presley impersonators has reached an all-time record high.
"There are now at least 85,000 Elvis’s around the world, compared to only 170 in 1977 when Elvis died. At this rate of growth, experts predict that by 2019 Elvis impersonators will make up a third of the world population." - The Naked Scientists 3 December 2000."

Fun Trivia

Edited by SpondonBassed

6 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

How can you both admire something and view it as an object of ridicule?

It also seems to me to be slightly hypocritical to despise something which you also do yourself, albeit less full on.

The term you are looking for is conflicted. Someone offered me money to play with some bloody marvellous musicians and I bloody well agreed to do it. I hate myself.

• Haha 1

Isn’t doing well interpreted Jazz ‘standards’ effectively a tribute act - a tribute to all the jazz greats?

A tribute band is interpreting tunes of one set of writers/musicians rather than a mixed catalogue. That’s a covers band...😉

erm.

• Like 1

As an aside I watched a tribute band called Bon Giovi about 18 months ago.

They were really good, and definitely not £60 a ticket worse (Bon Jovi was playing locally a few months later for £75+ a ticket), so we spent £60 on a meal, kept the the other £60 and had another night out without the kids a week later.

If you can do good versions of the songs and there’s a market for it, go for it.

I have a mate who’s in a “Madchester” act, they cover all Manc indie stuff and then also take bookings as a Stone Roses tribute, an Oasis tribute and a Smiths tribute - they gig non stop and always play to rammed venues.

Any covers band or wedding / function band is in effect a Tribute act to various musicians or bands they like.

To knock Tribute bands for focusing on one bands songs i just dont get.

I'll enjoy any band whether its covers, originals or even Jazz provided they play it well. 

Its the musicianship i enjoy and if the songs are from bands i like then even better.

Dave

Watched a Rush documentary last night about their last tour (think it was called ‘Time Stands Still’)

The overriding impression was that they’re phenomenal musicians, and I can’t wait for Geddy Lee’s bass book - he had some beautiful gear on stage, All custom colour Fenders, a Zematis, a Thunderbird and of course a Ric or 2 (a 4005 in fireglo was a pleasant surprise!)

• Like 2

On ‎11‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 11:48, wateroftyne said:

Do you have any opinions about the people who were entertained by Love Island?

I don't have any opinions about people who are entertained by Rush tribute bands. My point was simply that, whilst I can accept the amount of work involved to achieve the result and accept there is a lot of skill involved, I cannot but wonder what that amount of effort may have achieved were it focussed on something original instead of a tribute. I think it's like these pencil drawings that look like black and white photos. Superb technique but why?

Edited by Bilbo
  • Like 1

I feel the same way about impressionists like Rory Bremner, Jon Culshaw and Alastair McGowan. I mean, they put on these voices and say stuff the real person would never say, which is stupid, isn't it? Why don't they be themselves and just tell some jokes.

Quite beyond me.

11 hours ago, Bilbo said:

I don't have any opinions about people who are entertained by Rush tribute bands. My point was simply that, whilst I can accept the amount of work involved to achieve the result and accept there is a lot of skill involved, I cannot but wonder what that amount of effort may have achieved were it focussed on something original instead of a tribute. I think it's like these pencil drawings that look like black and white photos. Superb technique but why?

Done to pay tribute (and earn a living).

I like this.

10 hours ago, skankdelvar said:

I feel the same way about impressionists like Rory Bremner, Jon Culshaw and Alastair McGowan. I mean, they put on these voices and say stuff the real person would never say, which is stupid, isn't it? Why don't they be themselves and just tell some jokes.

Quite beyond me.

Done to extract the urine (and earn a living)

I dislike this.

17 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

You still playing Jazz standards @Bilbo ?

I’m sure it’s great...but why?

Let's be clear. I KNOW that Jazz standards are a bit stinky poo and if I had to never play another one it would be fine by me. But playing Jazz standards is completely different to reproducing a Rush set. When I play Autumn Leave (which I try REALLY hard not to), I am not thinking 'what did Miles play'?, 'have I got the right gear'? 'is my hair 'authentic'? The only 'tribute' is to the concept of playing Jazz standards (which I refer to as 'the increasingly tedious American Songbook') and the tune's core chord sequence. Everything else is up for grabs (actually, thinking about it, even the chord sequence sometimes! A passing reference to the melody is all you need really :P).

Why? That's easy. Because most Jazz 'bands' are scratch bands made up of people who have never met before let alone rehearsed so it's a means of getting a credible set together without the need to read or rehearse. When players know each other and can play together a lot, the standards quickly ebb away in favour of more and more eclectic stuff. The concept of Jazz standards is, for me, a manifestation of the chronic unpopularity of Jazz and the impossibility of funding anything in the way of a rehearsal or composition (one guitarist friend of mine once said 'I like Jazz but it's just not worth the amount of work involved'. If you do it for the money, you don't do it. It's not often that three player who have never met before turn up and say 'does anyone know La Villa Strangiato'?

• Like 1

WHO'S SHOUTING..! :angry2:

We'll have none of that here, thank you very much, Mods or no Mods..! Polite 'banter', 'to-ing and fro-ing, an exchange of opinions... That's acceptable, and even healthy, in moderate doses, but SHOUTING..? That won't last long, believe you me..! ^_^

:lol: :P :friends:

• Haha 1