Why become a member? ×

Triplets, how do you count them?

Westenra

On to the next hurdle then in my theory journey, quite simply what do you guys use to count triplets? I've tried "one - o - let" and "one - and - a" and they work fine when counting a full triplet but when it comes to rests in the triplet it all goes out of the window. So would like to know what other alternatives there are for counting them, or any tips?

Louie Bellson and Gil Breines wrote this one up many years ago

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0769233775/ref=as_li_qf_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=moderndrumm04-20&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=0769233775&linkId=24c8448d4fd73df04e066c3847c93fd1

I hope the above link copies up okay. It should show the book but from Amazon USA but should be available in  England somehow.

Although for drums, it’s shows the breakdown of notation, through all the syncopations and triplets. All single note stuff as far as bass guitar is concerned but put a metronome on maybe to help get started deciphering your triplets.

Edited by mybass

On 29/07/2018 at 18:02, mybass said:

Louie Bellson and Gil Bernie’s wrote this one up many years ago

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0769233775/ref=as_li_qf_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=moderndrumm04-20&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=0769233775&linkId=24c8448d4fd73df04e066c3847c93fd1

I hope the above link copies up okay. It should show the book but from Amazon USA but should be available in  England somehow.

Although for drums, it’s shows the breakdown of notation, through all the syncopations and triplets. All single note stuff as far as bass guitar is concerned but put a metronome on maybe to help get started deciphering your triplets.

Great book.

4 minutes ago, Crawford13 said:

I’m sure Adam Neely did a video on YouTube about this, I will try and find it for you... just looked I misremembered it’s one quadruple whole note triplets

I think I watched this and it was helpful but I could do with examples from real music, helps the feel. His video is good tho 

On 29/07/2018 at 18:02, mybass said:

Louie Bellson and Gil Breines wrote this one up many years ago

Cheers for the link mate, found a site where someone has uploaded scanned in pages to it, looks good!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 31/07/2018 at 16:41, chris_b said:

Don't count, learn how to feel a triplet and all it's variatiuons.

Sorry but I don’t think that’s enormously helpful. ‘Feeling’ something comes right at the end of the process once you’ve broken down, understood and internalised the thing you are working on. 

For triplets. I would suggest starting with quaver triplets and get those down - crotchet triplets are much harder. If you’ve understood quaver triplets that’s a great starting point. The Bellson rhythm book is useful but isn’t necessarily the most logically structured in terms of developing your understanding. My personal preference would always be to get a good teacher who would work with you. Feel free to PM about this. 

On 11/08/2018 at 18:33, Westenra said:

Cheers for the link mate, found a site where someone has uploaded scanned in pages to it, looks good!

It is a good book, only single 'note' but all the breakdown of times is in there......please don't end up being a drummer though 😀

• 3 months later...