Why become a member? ×

NDBD - aka NED (warning: lefty content!)

Rare-as-hens'-teeth lefty Eminence, with massive thanks to @Happy Jack for his generosity and organisational skills in a. ordering it as a pressie; b. having it secretly delivered to his little sis in Pasadena; c. flying both of us to Pasadena on holiday, and collecting the parcel and taking it with us on the flight home. Since it was packed in a golf club case, I was none the wiser until we finally opened the parcel at home in London.

Kudos.

The bass is NOT as red as these photos show, despite my desperate attempts at colour correcting in Photoshop. It's more of a brownish-red tobacco colour.

I feel I have finally graduated from beginner's upright to a slimmer version of the real thing! 😄:sun_bespectacled:😍

43662341132_7c216d6714_c.jpg

43662335272_c6b9665d62_c.jpg

42993415904_3086e762a8_c.jpg

29839013848_e9abf179c7_c.jpg

42993422174_57bb7cd291_c.jpg

42993413034_2365cd5a7e_c.jpg

42806142245_4699fe372f_c.jpg

41900860160_9517646d3f_c.jpg

Edited by Silvia Bluejay
  • Like 7

6 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

And before anyone asks, yes I paid full Duty & VAT as we passed through LHR. First time I've ever walked through the Red Channel.

Forgetting the wonderful back story and beauty of the instrument, it's good to know Duty & VAT have been applied appropriately!

7 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

Fine work by Jack in keeping the masquerade going till you got home..

I kept looking at the case and asking him if he'd bought two small cabs and put them on top of each other! I had no idea you could order Eminence basses with a detachable neck. 😮 🙃

Oh, there's a lot of choice when it comes to 'thin' uprights. I also have a cheapo Harley Benton and an NS Design NXT 5-stringer. The Eminence had been a GAS of mine for a while, just because it's more of a small double bass than an electric upright, and they build lefty models. The BSX looks good - do they do lefties? Their Q&A page doesn't say. :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

Oh, there's a lot of choice when it comes to 'thin' uprights. I also have a cheapo Harley Benton and an NS Design NXT 5-stringer. The Eminence had been a GAS of mine for a while, just because it's more of a small double bass than an electric upright, and they build lefty models. The BSX looks good - do they do lefties? Their Q&A page doesn't say. :)

I've seen a few on the Interwebz. My BSX is an older stick model, but it's still hollow, has a faux bout to rest on my gut,  and at least it doesn't use one of those awful tripod stands. Out of the various EUBs I've played the Yamaha Silent Bass I tried at NAMM a couple of years ago felt and sounded the nicest, but it's very expensive and pretty much just as clunky as a real one to pack around. I've been playing a friend's AUB at a local house  jam most weeks for the last 18 months and, as expected, the urge to make room for a nice one at home is pretty strong these days.

The Gollihurs are great people to deal with; very knowledgeable, good prices, and no BS.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Staggering on said:

...That event convinced me that I needed a "real" upright...

49 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

Yup, that was the trigger...

Living examples of the very real dangers that await those attending Basschat Bass Bashes..! :lol:

• Haha 1