Why become a member? ×

Switching systems

radiophonic

My signal chain is a bit of a compromise and I'm having to tap dance quite a bit. I'm currently using the good ole LS2 for loop switching, but obviously it isn't very flexible. What I need is to be able to assign groups of pedals to a pre-set so I can activate with a single tap. The same pedal should be assignable to more than one preset and some control over pedal order would be desirable. I don't need a gazillion channels as I don't really need a separate channel for every pedal, but It'd need to be able to accommodate a volume pedal. Is anyone using a system like this?

Boss ES8

GiGrig G2

One Control

Musiclab

RJM PBC

Loads of options.

However some run the loops serially and others allow you to change placement. The Boss and the Gigrig ones certainly do. Don't know about the rest (yet - I'm researching too)

So on some if you have a compressor in Loop 1 and and a Drive in loop 2 then they are always that was round. On the Boss you can have a patch with compressor first, and another patch with the drive first etc.

So really it depends on what signal path you want and how many pedals you need to control.

You'll always need more.

I think I will end up with the Boss. I expect to use 6 loops (some loops with 2 pedals in) - but I don't know what pedal I might buy tomorrow.

There are cheaper ones - like Joyo. And According to reviews they can be noisy and use cheap buffers etc.

They are complex bits of kit. For years the Gigrig stuff was the only option. The Boss ES8 one was the first reasonably priced one. Then they did the smaller one. And then the cheap companies started to take notice.

If you think you can "manage" with 5 loops I can almost guarantee it won't be enough in a month or 2! ALL HAIL THE GAS!