Why become a member? ×

Trickfish - Fodera - Bullhead - comp.

fleabag

Just to chime in on the volume of the trickfish .5k head. I have and use one. It's loud at 8ohms through the 210v cab. Cuts through two Marshall valve heads and 4x10 stacks and a hard hitting drummer. Actually it really compliments the sound providing an awesome low end for the guitars (80hz switch is amazing, it almost feels like there is s sub tone running underneath the main tone)

At 4ohms with an 8x10 the amp is a monster. Never had to push it!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Besides it's a D class amp and you've never knowingly not slagged off a D class amp have you Mick? 😂

Who me??? 😂😂

When If I win it I will be looking to find a new home for the head, here, at a significantly reduced price.

The Fodera I may hold on to for a while or find somebody wanting to trade for something like an Alembic SC or Status KB.

Mick I'm not sure your point, whilst valid, is going to carry any more weight (or heft if you prefer) merely by repeating it FOUR times 😂

On the plus side, I'm glad that to see that you have discovered the joys of Mesa Class A/B amp heads. They are a thing of beauty :) 

On ‎29‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 13:34, Muzz said:

If I won it, it'd all be up for sale on here the day it arrived...still, it's a lot of cash... 😉

Me too, I could buy several things I actually wanted. It's the only reason I entered. ;-)

On 30/07/2018 at 12:02, Al Krow said:

Mick I'm not sure your point, whilst valid, is going to carry any more weight (or heft if you prefer) merely by repeating it FOUR times 😂

On the plus side, I'm glad that to see that you have discovered the joys of Mesa Class A/B amp heads. They are a thing of beauty :) 

There are going to be loads of readers who are confused about what you mean...

Thankfully the Mods have deleted 3x of the repeated posts.

Hello guys, This is Ryan Owens from Trickfish.  Thanks for talking about the giveaway and the Trickfish Bullhead .5K!

You are correct that we do not publish an RMS rating for the amplifier. We do this for the very reason of not wanting to publish confusing information.  The fact is that there is no set protocol for establishing an RMS value and because of that you never know if comparing the RMS of two amplifiers is actually an apples to apples comparison.

We have chosen to publish the most accurate specs we can to allow the user to be informed about the amplifier:

8 Ohms - (continuous power 235W @ .13% THD, 365W @ 1%THD), (peak power 506W @ .13% THD, 730W @ 1%THD)

4 Ohms - (continuous power 312W @ .13% THD, 702W @ 1%THD), (peak power 625W @ .13% THD, 1404W @ 1%THD)

I will also add that the power section of the Bullhead .5K is the ICE 700ASE, the same power module in several other amplifiers in this price range. There is detailed info about this power module available online.

I think there was also a question about the frequency selections on the Bullhead .5K.  Let me describe the preamp a bit to help you get a better idea of how it works.

The bass and treble settings on the amplifier are shelving EQ's.  For the BASS setting you select you will be adjusting that frequency and everything below it..... for the TREBLE frequency you will be adjusting that frequency and everything above it.  The LOW MID and HIGH MID are variable band pass EQ's.  We have the width dialed in depending on which frequency you have selected. 

These frequency settings and widths are all very carefully dialed in for a bass instrument. To me, that is what makes the Mike Pope preamps so musical.

The frequency selections are labeled on the amplifier so you will know exactly which frequencies you are dealing with. 

They are:

Bass: 40Hz or 80Hz

Low Mid: 333Hz or 473 Hz

High Mid: 1kHz or 1.8kHz

Treble: 4kHz or 8kHz

I am happy to answer any other questions you guys may have and hopefully some more guys who have first hand experience with the amplifier will chime is to give their impressions.  

Thanks guys and good luck for those of you who entered the giveaway.

Ryan Owens

Ryan @ trickfishamps.com

Edited by ryanowens
formatting
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

On 29/07/2018 at 13:34, Muzz said:

I shall keenly await a TC-like witchhunt about the fudged power ratings... 😃

If I won it, it'd all be up for sale on here the day it arrived...still, it's a lot of cash... 😉

As beautifully made as the Fodera is, I don't like single cuts and my initial thought, when I watched the video was, $11000, I could sell that and get the vintage Precision I've always said I'd get if I won the lottery

Quite fancy the Trickfish head though

Edited by MoJo

1 hour ago, TheGreek said:

...and if somebody, like Owen say, were looking for somebody to endorse the head you wouldn't be averse to doing so...being the kind-hearted and considerate person, that you are..😉😉

We certainly do have an artist endorsement program. I would invite you to connect with our Artist Relations Manager Justin Huth at Justin @ Trickfishamps . com

Thanks!

5 hours ago, fretmeister said:

I just read the review of the amp in the mag.

NO FAN!!!!! 

WOOOOOOHOOOOOOO!

I hate fan noise with a passion.

@ryanowens does the bigger version have a fan? Your website doesn't actually say either way. It's such a big selling point for me that I always look for whether an amp has a fan or not.

Hello.  Neither the Bullhead 1K nor the Bullhead .5K have a fan.  The amplifiers are convection cooled by the vents on the side and the amount of open room we have inside the chassis to allow cooling to occur.  The Bullhead is not the smallest amp out there, this allows us to not have a fan but also allows us to use full sized knobs spaced in a way that making adjustments on the gig is easy. Sometimes we just have beat or two to reach back and make an adjustment and having knobs you can see and turn easily is nice. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ryanowens said:

We certainly do have an artist endorsement program. I would invite you to connect with our Artist Relations Manager Justin Huth at Justin @ Trickfishamps . com

Thanks!

Ah Justin is with Trickfish now?

Love Mr Huth! Been a while :)

Si

Edited by Sibob
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, ryanowens said:

Hello.  Neither the Bullhead 1K nor the Bullhead .5K have a fan.  The amplifiers are convection cooled by the vents on the side and the amount of open room we have inside the chassis to allow cooling to occur.  The Bullhead is not the smallest amp out there, this allows us to not have a fan but also allows us to use full sized knobs spaced in a way that making adjustments on the gig is easy. Sometimes we just have beat or two to reach back and make an adjustment and having knobs you can see and turn easily is nice. 

Thank you.

The amps just made my "must try" list.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Musashimonkey said:

Increadible to see the wide spread uptake of this, Only one U.K. winner!... which wasn’t me 😢

Nor me, though I wasn't expecting to. Never do