Why become a member? ×

Trickfish - Fodera - Bullhead - comp.

fleabag

One clarification to Scott's power ratings for the 0.5K amp.

He gives this as: 500W at 8 ohms and 700W at 4 ohms. Those are the peak ratings (and actually it's 625W at 4 ohms)

If you're using the much more industry standard 'continuous' = RMS(?) then the figures are half those i.e. circa 250W at 8 ohms and 312W at 4 ohms.

Edited by Al Krow

And all the specs are rather vague :

Power Output:

8 Ohms: (Continuous Power ‐ 253W @ .13% THD, 365W @1% THD), (Peak 506W @ .13% THD, 730W @1% THD)

4 Ohms: (Continuous Power ‐ 312W @ .13% THD, 702W @1% THD), (Peak 625W @ .13% THD, 1404W @1% THD)

Power Amplifier: Class D with Switch‐Mode Power Supply

Pre‐Amp: Low noise, all analog, solid state

Input: ¼” Phone with switchable attenuation and rotary gain control

Input Level Indicator: Signal level and Clip LEDs (green/red)

EQ: 4 Band Switchable

Shelving Bass and Treble with selectable Hi‐Pass frequencies.

Low‐Mid and Hi ‐Mid ‐Variable Gain, Band Pass EQ with selectable frequency / bandwidth options

Master Volume: Rotary Control

Line In: 1/8″ mini jack

Headphone Out: Stereo ¼” Phone jack

Mute Switch: mini toggle

AC Mains: 85‐132V, 195‐264V, 45‐65 Hz, 1000VA (Worldwide usage)

AC Mains Indicator: Blue LED

EFX Loop: Series

Direct Out: 600 Ohm Balanced, XLR, Pre/Post, Ground Lift and Level control

Speaker Output: 1 x Neutrik Combi‐Connectors

Chassis: Aircraft grade aluminum w/removable rubber feet

Rack Ears: (Optional)

Size: (H x W x D in.) 3.3 x 15.1 x 8 (inches)

Weight: 5.0 lbs.

No RMS indication, but continuous power. No indication of the frequency used for the power announced. No preamp frequencies indications, nor their boost/cut capabilities. Very American behaviour.

And it's getting worse for the box :

TF112 Specifications

1 x 12” proprietary Neodymium speaker built by Eminence®

HF driver (3500-20,000 Hz) 80° conical horn

300 watts peak handling

Custom crossover with peak protection and HF Attenuation

2 x NL2 Combo connectors

Baltic Birch

Dado and Rabbet Joint Construction

8 ohms

Freq. Resp. 35Hz – 16kHz

Metal handles, metal corners, rubber feet

Acoustically transparent cloth grille

22 oz. sharkskin vinyl

H 14 7/8 x W 19 x D 18

Weight: 36.2 lbs.

Made in the USA

Here no pressure or sound level indicated, no indication if it's a bass reflex construction, 300 Watts peak handling means absolutely nothing. Sorry guys, but the technical informations are lacking a lot of precision. Again very American approach...

That said, Scott is always a delight to watch, so much fun in the way he is talking and acting. And that Fodera looks gorgeous and expensive... 🤑

Assuming that folk signed for the all the 'additional entry options' = 60 entries apiece, there have been already 6,500 entries so far...I'm  definitely not feeling that lucky, apart from the fact that my luck's in on one important point: I'm not GAS'ing for a Fodera or a Trickfish rig 😂

On a more serious note, the TF amps do have quite a fan club over in the US; however the fact that they are using a non industry standard measure of power output (peak rather than RMS) which is a little misleading, particularly as their amps are labelled .5k and 1k was a let down when I found that out...(whereas most other amp makers play it with a 'straight bat' e.g. the GM Magellan 800m is 800W RMS at 4 ohms and the DG M900 is 900W RMS at 4 ohms etc)

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

I wouldn’t call the TF misleading, its a name, they could call it a .506k, they could call it Nigel after my uncle, but they clearly state it’s peak and RMS capabilities in very clear detail on their web site which is easily found.

Does the EQ, pre-amp and feature set speak to you yes or no, then work out how much power you need - job done, esp if it’s a freebie.

I suppose you could argue the Aguilar Hammers your tone, but I guarantee the TE small amp does not help Santa make Xmas pressies in the North Pole

4 hours ago, Cuzzie said:

I wouldn’t call the TF misleading, its a name, they could call it a .506k, they could call it Nigel after my uncle, but they clearly state it’s peak and RMS capabilities in very clear detail on their web site which is easily found.

Does the EQ, pre-amp and feature set speak to you yes or no, then work out how much power you need - job done, esp if it’s a freebie.

I suppose you could argue the Aguilar Hammers your tone, but I guarantee the TE small amp does not help Santa make Xmas pressies in the North Pole

Look 8 posts before yours, I've put the specs that are on their website and there's absolutely no mention of the RMS power...

That said, the Mike Pope Flexcore 4 bands preamp is terrific and certainly the most transparent you will ever find. I had three in three different basses and still have one in one of my basses : really great stuff.

52 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

An old adage about teeth and horses springs to mind, folks...FFS it's free gear!!!

Rather than slag it off, if you don't want it, don't enter...

Sensible marketing on the part of Scott. He's probably got the gear for free. The makers get a load of free advertising and Scott gets 10,000+ folk (how many man hours has he got folk to commit in total?) to fill in application forms with their contact details/ sign up to his trial course. No such thing as a free lunch.

Besides it's a D class amp and you've never knowingly not slagged off a D class amp have you Mick? 😂

@HellzeroSo I took RMS to be Root Mean square of the power an amp can put out or a cab can handle, which broadly speaking should give a continuos power level an amp can pop out.

Obviously this is worked out from the peak power that an amp can put out, and the peak is normally put out for a period of time.

This ‘average’ figure is based upon a sine wave sometimes about 1kHZ where the signal does not crap out, or the circuit does not overheat. As far as I know the THD stated relates to total harmonic distortion where the wave form gets clipped and hence relates to continuous power handling before it craps out

I know  that there are different ways of calculating an RMS.

So very simply in my mind without knowing it all a true RMS possibly relates to the power a signal can be replicated for a reliably without the above happening.

as ever I am happy to learn and if I am wrong please tell me, especially if I have over simplified it.

i’ll have A look up as well, but any pointers to the correct sources would be cool

Edited by Cuzzie