Why become a member? ×

Best computer for audio recording/production

Leonard Smalls

On 30/07/2018 at 10:38, Sibob said:

...As much as people think they can just buy a machine and leave it standalone (no updates or internet), it doesn’t really work like that ...

It does in my studio! I built a PC about 5 years ago. I have a MOTU 24IO that I wanted to use so I got a motherboard with an old style PCIe slot that'd work. 6 core 3.5GHz AMD CPU, 16GB RAM. I put windows 7 and Cubase 6 on there and I haven't updated anything on it since. I've installed a couple of plugins which is a bit of a pain sometimes, depending on their license method, but other than that it's fine to keep offline. I find I spend more time learning how to get better at the basics, and less time trying out all the new shiny toys

I have managed to push it right to the boundaries of it's capabilities, but that was with a whole album in one session file, 150 odd channels, 20 odd reverbs, same delays, probably 50 compressors etc. and running Izotope on the master bus. It still handled it but there's the odd glitch on playback (not on the exports obviously) 

When I get the money to build a new system I'll do the same again - including windows 7

49 minutes ago, cheddatom said:

It does in my studio! I built a PC about 5 years ago. I have a MOTU 24IO that I wanted to use so I got a motherboard with an old style PCIe slot that'd work. 6 core 3.5GHz AMD CPU, 16GB RAM. I put windows 7 and Cubase 6 on there and I haven't updated anything on it since. I've installed a couple of plugins which is a bit of a pain sometimes, depending on their license method, but other than that it's fine to keep offline. I find I spend more time learning how to get better at the basics, and less time trying out all the new shiny toys

I have managed to push it right to the boundaries of it's capabilities, but that was with a whole album in one session file, 150 odd channels, 20 odd reverbs, same delays, probably 50 compressors etc. and running Izotope on the master bus. It still handled it but there's the odd glitch on playback (not on the exports obviously) 

When I get the money to build a new system I'll do the same again - including windows 7

What happens if/when the MOTU dies and you can’t find an interface that is officially supported (drivers etc) on Windows 7?

Of course, you’ll get a number of years out of any given setup, but the simple fact is that eventually you’ll need to upgrade, and the longer you leave it, the more you have to upgrade in one chunk.

Certainly nothing wrong with working like that, there’s no right or wrong way. Simply saying that we’re all ultimately at the mercy of both obsolete operating systems and hardware companies not having resources to infinitely support afformentioned obsolete OS’s

Si 

1 minute ago, Sibob said:

What happens if/when the MOTU dies and you can’t find an interface that is officially supported (drivers etc) on Windows 7?

Of course, you’ll get a number of years out of any given setup, but the simple fact is that eventually you’ll need to upgrade, and the longer you leave it, the more you have to upgrade in one chunk.

Certainly nothing wrong with working like that, there’s no right or wrong way. Simply saying that we’re all ultimately at the mercy of both obsolete operating systems and hardware companies not having resources to infinitely support afformentioned obsolete OS’s

Si 

of course, but I have spares for the MOTU and the card, I even have a spare desk... but yeh at some point it'll all break. I think at that point I'll get a digital desk

• 1 month later...

I have £500 to spend on a computer and, if possible, monitor speakers. I know that is cutting it very fine but it’s all I can afford. Maybe if I’m clever I could add a little. 

Anyway, I’ve been looking at amazon on the refurbished side of things and came across this...

HP Pavilion 17T-G100 17.3-Inch HD+ Laptop (Modern Silver) - (Intel Core i7-6500U, 2.5GHz, 16GB RAM, 1TB Hard drive, Windows 10 Home) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01AC1THZ0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_tcvRBbREN0NK2

Now, I know how to work my software but am way out of the loop when it comes to hardware. Is this a decent spec for recording music at home (alongside photo editing and possible the odd video edit)? 

I'm running Cubase 9.5 on my Surface Pro 4. It's an i7 with 16Gb ram and 512Gb ssd. Use it with a MOTU Ultralite Mk3 interface and if at my desk a big 27" touchscreen monitor. It's working well so far and it is also running the rest of my life - ie not a dedicated music machine. Robin Vincent runs a very informative Blog on using the surface range for music here - http://surfaceproaudio.com/

Laptops and in particular ultra mobile devices like the Surface line will never match the processing power of a big, dedicated desktop but may well be enough to get the job done especially if you apply some tweaks to help optimise for audio.

On 28/09/2018 at 11:20, EMG456 said:

Laptops and in particular ultra mobile devices like the Surface line will never match the processing power of a big, dedicated desktop but may well be enough to get the job done especially if you apply some tweaks to help optimise for audio.

That's pretty much right, but there is an in-between option, which is one of the bigger gaming-style laptops. That's what I went for, it sits on my desk 99% of the time, 17" screen + 2 extra monitors, but if I need to take it somewhere I can. It's got a desktop version i7 (and some big fans to cope), 32G RAM and SSD drives (one card style, one 2.5"). Mine has Thunderbolt 3, second hand one won't though. You do end up paying for a gfx card you won't use much, but on a second hand one that's probably not a huge chunk of the cost.

I'm expecting mine to last at least 5 years, probably more (it's done 2 already, and still has enough power that I don't even bother tweaking what is running at home - I might if I used it for anything live). It does weigh nearly 4kg though! The fans were a worry at first but it's never stretched enough for them to have do much.

Stick "gaming laptop" into ebay and you'll see the sort of thing. Although, thinking about it, second hand you will probably get some that have had some stick.

PS I should say it's not just a music machine, it's my main PC for software development (running Linux for that, hence PC not Mac).

Edited by adamg67

Order placed for a refurbished Dell gaming machine. Quad core i5, 16gB Ram, 4gb graphics card, 1TB hdd. £365 which seems fair. 

Gaming PC Dell Quad Core i5-2400 16GB 1TB GTX 1050Ti WiFi Windows 10 64-Bit Desktop PC Computer (Certified Refurbished) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01E97IU1K/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_HsLTBb57MS0H

I’ll get some solid state memory at some point

Ill probably run Reaper on it  just need to find some value for money studio monitors now and I’ll be happy for the time being....assuming this refurbished machine does the trick when it turns up  

We're using a Behringer XR18, 2012 i5 Macbook Pro with 8gb RAM (16gb would be better), SSD and Logic X. The XR18 is great for live, recording and live recording. It kills 2 birds with 1 stone. Live desk and interface all in one. We try to keep the MB Pro as clean as possible. Nothing running in the background either. Works great for us.