Why become a member? ×

Mono gig bags

I’ve had M80s for years, and they’re brilliant. I’ve just got a Vertigo guitar bag though for my headless bass and it’s really fantastic, less pocket space though.

So if you need plenty of space to pack cables and pedals etc into your case, get an M80. If you have other places to put those bits, and you want a slim but easily accessible bag (so easy to get bass out when the bag is stood upright), get a Vertigo.

Ultimately though, can’t go wrong with either!

Si

I have both. The M80 is a good, traditional gigbag which works well at gigs and studios where you have room to lay the bag down flat and open it. The Vertigo is designed for confined spaces where you want to be able to move your bass in and out of a case leaning (upright) against a wall or tucked into a corner.

The level of protection is pretty much identical, the Vertigo has a 'boot' of reinforced plastic/rubber which means that your bass can be standing in a puddle of beer with no ill effects, the M80 has better pockets for carrying stuff if that's your thing.

I play loads of gigs in small pubs and greatly prefer the Vertigo.

Unfortunately, my go-to bass is a Mike Lull T5 and it's too damned big to fit into either the Vertigo or the M80!

So I use a Gator gigbag instead ...

I suggest you check out a Protection racket case. I bought mine for £85. It's semi rigid and offers lots of padding and plenty of storage space. It appears very sturdy and I expect it will last me a long, long time.

• Like 1

All Mono cases are solid and provide great protection. However, the velcro on the cable tie/strap thing wore out in the first year. Currently I use the Sleeve, which is slimmer than the M80 but it still gives great protection. The pocket isn't as big but I manage to get two cables, a fold up stand, earplugs, clip-on tuner and an ipad in it.

5 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

I have both. The M80 is a good, traditional gigbag which works well at gigs and studios where you have room to lay the bag down flat and open it. The Vertigo is designed for confined spaces where you want to be able to move your bass in and out of a case leaning (upright) against a wall or tucked into a corner.

The level of protection is pretty much identical, the Vertigo has a 'boot' of reinforced plastic/rubber which means that your bass can be standing in a puddle of beer with no ill effects, the M80 has better pockets for carrying stuff if that's your thing.

I play loads of gigs in small pubs and greatly prefer the Vertigo.

+1.

1 hour ago, marleaux62 said:

Hi I'm going to bass direct next week to take a look at them both.

at the moment the Vertigo with the tick 2 could be the winner it gives me the option to have the bag with or without the storage.

Tanks for all the advice.

+1 to the Vertigo & Tick attachment - I've had that set up for my Overwater & my cables, tuner, etc for about 18 months. The Tick increases the storage / carry options greatly 😊

8 hours ago, Sibob said:

I’ve had M80s for years, and they’re brilliant. I’ve just got a Vertigo guitar bag though for my headless bass and it’s really fantastic, less pocket space though.

So if you need plenty of space to pack cables and pedals etc into your case, get an M80. If you have other places to put those bits, and you want a slim but easily accessible bag (so easy to get bass out when the bag is stood upright), get a Vertigo.

Ultimately though, can’t go wrong with either!

Si

Spot on assessment, I use an M80 single and double that have been faultless for years. The Vertigo is a great bag, although much less room for cables etc. I also on a Sleeve which I like, but it is not at the level of the M80.

I`ve had both, but kept the M80 as it has more space for cables etc. Plus it has a section where you can fit the straps into, rather then them trailing around. I find I can fit my bass into it when it`s standing up virtually as easy as with the Vertigo.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, gjones said:

I suggest you check out a Protection racket case. I bought mine for £85. It's semi rigid and offers lots of padding and plenty of storage space. It appears very sturdy and I expect it will last me a long, long time.

Protection Racket now do a bass sleeve clone for around £60. You can slide your Bass in vertically and I prefer it to my M80 Mono Sleeve.

All Mono cases are solid and provide great protection. However, the velcro on the cable tie/strap thing wore out in the first year. Currently I use the Sleeve, which is slimmer than the M80 but it still gives great protection. The pocket isn't as big but I manage to get two cables, a fold up stand, earplugs, clip-on tuner and an ipad in it.

+1 for the Mono Sleeve. I liked the Vertigo but the Sleeve is lighter and more streamlined. Toploading and just right. 

I've got a Sleeve as well as the Vertigo.

It's a lot lighter and better for a lot of walking. The Vertigo gives more protection no doubt, but it is double the weight of the sleeve and if I put the Tick on it as well with a Nano board and 4 pedals - that adds a lot more weight and can make me a bit unbalanced.