Why become a member? ×

Connecting Multiple Midi Devices

obi 2 kenobi

I have a bunch of midi synths and drum machines. However my audio interface (Presonus Audiobox USB) only has 1 midi input and 1 output.

So if I want to switch from drum machine to a synth, I have to unplug the midi from the drum machine, and plug in midi from synth.

Note, none of my midi devices have midi thru.

Is there a multiple midi interface or another solution so I can have at least 4 midi devices all connected at the same time without resorting to unplugging etc ?

Thanks

30 minutes ago, obi 2 kenobi said:

...Is there a multiple midi interface or another solution so I can have at least 4 midi devices all connected at the same time without resorting to unplugging etc ?...

Something like this ..?

MIDI Merge, 4 in, 2 out...

There are many variants, from many suppliers, at various price points, with more, or less, inputs, throughs and outputs.

Hope this helps. B|

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, BigRedX said:

Adding a MIDI merge will add more latency to your MIDI signals. Get a proper multi-port MIDI interface from someone like Mark of The Unicorn.

This may or may not be an issue. Try it out, and judge the results in the context of what you're doing, yourself.

14 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

This may or may not be an issue. Try it out, and judge the results in the context of what you're doing, yourself.

IME it almost definitely will be.

The OP hasn't actually said which if any of his MIDI devices are used as controllers and which are just sound sources, but it may be that what he needs isn't a merge box at all, but a MIDI thru box. However, a proper multi-port MIDI interface is far more flexible in its routing, doesn't add any latency, with enough ports can let you put a single device on each port for maximum timing accuracy, and many will also act as stand alone MIDI patch pay router, if you need/want to run your set up without a computer.

For the OP, I'd recommend any of the Mark Of The Unicorn MIDI interfaces except the Fastlane which won't have enough ports for his requirements. The MotU Micro Lite is only about £20 more than the device that Dad3353 suggested and is many times more versatile.