Why become a member? ×

Stickers on guitars?

MacDaddy

On 26/07/2018 at 15:39, MacDaddy said:

I wouldn't stick them on in a haphazard fashion, i'd work out placement beforehand.

The trick is to carefully work out a placement that looks haphazard.

• Like 1

I have a bass which only wears stickers on the rear - when the kids get something and want to put a sticker on it, they bob it on the back.

i used to do it as a thing years ago when I was being a ‘cool kid’ then one day covered a telecaster in shielding tape...looked crap. Took a month to get it off.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Don’t put stickers on if you ever think you might want to sell it. Guitars discolour over time and if there are stickers the area under remains the same. I bought a Squier on which the white scratch plate was turning a lovely shade of pale green, but when I peeled the stickers off there were horrible white squares staring back at me. Have tried lots of ways of toning the plate down but none very successful. The stickers had well and truly devalued it!

1 hour ago, Grahambythesea said:

Don’t put stickers on if you ever think you might want to sell it. Guitars discolour over time and if there are stickers the area under remains the same. I bought a Squier on which the white scratch plate was turning a lovely shade of pale green, but when I peeled the stickers off there were horrible white squares staring back at me. Have tried lots of ways of toning the plate down but none very successful. The stickers had well and truly devalued it!

Rubbish!

It's a well-proven fact that stickers add value to Kay guitars.

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

I found that 'sticker shadow' thing with a Squier bass of mine, though it quickly faded close to a match after the stickers were off (I have it hanging in my living room, so it gets the Sun). I do like how guitars age with a bit of Sun; my Strat (a 1994 Fender American Standard I've owned from new) has gone a nice ivory shade on the pups and the plate, while the maple has darkened nicely. In that era, the wood Fender was using was incredibly anaemic looking when new - it's one of the reasons I went for a rosewood board at the time rather than maple. (I much prefer maple now in general; it's one of the reasons I want a second Strat now.)

What I've always preferred is the look of an old flightcase with a bunch of stickers on it, though almost any hardcase I've ever owned wouldn't take stickers forf some reason. They just lifted right off in minimal time.

1 hour ago, EdwardMarlowe said:

I found that 'sticker shadow' thing with a Squier bass of mine, though it quickly faded close to a match after the stickers were off (I have it hanging in my living room, so it gets the Sun). I do like how guitars age with a bit of Sun; my Strat (a 1994 Fender American Standard I've owned from new) has gone a nice ivory shade on the pups and the plate, while the maple has darkened nicely. In that era, the wood Fender was using was incredibly anaemic looking when new - it's one of the reasons I went for a rosewood board at the time rather than maple. (I much prefer maple now in general; it's one of the reasons I want a second Strat now.)

The claim is that modern maple with a poly varnish doesn't age. Clearly nonsense as my 2003 Squier Jazz has a neck that looks like roasted maple, it's gone so dark - makes it look >fifty years old 🙂 . I peeled off the CE logo sticker and it left a noticeably paler patch.

• 2 weeks later...

A tip: If you ever need to remove sticker residue, I've found that the best thing to use is lighter fluid. The stuff from poundland for a quid works just as well as a much more expensive product I used to use called 'sticky stuff remover' which I now suspect was the same thing but with an added orange fragrance.