Why become a member? ×

Tips on weird time signatures

57 minutes ago, jonsmith said:

Maybe ask the drummer to play a few grooves in different time signatures that you can record and then mess around with at home? 

He's sending me some "ideas" with keyboard bass and drums on... Hopefully he'll be happy when I liberally smear my attempt at his bass-line with envelope filter, bass synth and bass whammy, and play it all in a P-Funk style in straight 4:4 On The One.

Perhaps I'll take my platform boots to the next jamhearsal!

• Haha 2

THere's also a few odd time signature playlists on Spotify that might be worth sitting down with and playing through, again, just to immerse yourself in some 'popular music' that isn't 4/4

Si

Edited by Sibob
  • Like 1

After not playing odd timings since being a kid learning piano, 15 years ago a band I was in had a song with a bit in 7/8. Well, that was it. I progressively (see what I did there?!!) moved further into it until I now find I almost can't play in 4/4 now as I feel constrained.

However as for advice, I'd say listen to the melodic instruments. Guitar preferably. Don't count, just feel the pulse. Once you get it, it'll be a massive new string to your bow. Enjoy!

21 minutes ago, leftybassman392 said:

1+1+3+1+1 doesn't count.

'Breakfast orbital delay' 

is definitely better. Yes. Definitely better. Yes. Definitely better. Yes. Definitely.

I prefer "Don't go frollicking naked" or is that more of a 1-1-3-2 ? 😂

15 minutes ago, Norris said:

I prefer "Don't go frollicking naked" or is that more of a 1-1-3-2 ? 😂

'Frolicking' comes across more as a triplet, don't you think?

I've heard that some people think us bass players are a bit weird. Can't imagine why. :crazy:

Edit: Douglas beat me to it. See, that's two of us think it's a triplet so we must be right.xD

Edited by leftybassman392
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, leftybassman392 said:

'Frolicking' comes across more as a triplet, don't you think?

I've heard that some people think us bass players are a bit weird. Can't imagine why. :crazy:

Edit: Douglas beat me to it. See, that's two of us think it's a triplet so we must be right.xD

... but be warned: I'm a drummer, so what would I know..? :$

• Haha 1

I've had to do a fair bit of odd time stuff and I found I was okay when sticking to ostinato but when I tried to deviate from it I'd mess up or at least doubt myself so I worked out another rythm that fit the time sig first just tapping it against a metronome then working out a phrase on the bass using it, gradually I added more phrases and eventually they became part of my vocabulary and I was able to feel more free in that time sig

For me just feeling it didn't work because 4/4 is so indelibly ingrained , it took a lot of specific practice

Try transcribing some Larry Grenadier with Brad Mehldau trio, they sound so free in odd times yet it's unerringly strong and accurate

Edited by spencer.b

21 minutes ago, Count Bassy said:

As a one time folk musician (amateur) I got to play some really old tunes. One was written 1615  - but we played it in 4/4 anyway !!! Boom Boom. 🤑🤗🤣

I thought the gag was 1516? (Unless you want to get all irrational about it).

:D

Maybe try listening/studying some easier  examples , takenfive is probably the easiest that comes to mind, say something like gong/village master builder which is still easyish but requires more concentration and when you’re happy counting along with those search out some more complex ones and eventually you might be able to count along to something like zappa’s Keep it greasy 

While you're listening to Master Builder (assuming the original 'You' album version) you could flip the record over and have a go at 'Isle of Everywhere', some odd timings in there, a personal favourite for the last 40 years!

On 26/07/2018 at 11:41, cheddatom said:

I always try to have a "riff" or phrase in my head, basically a melody that's the length of whatever the bar is. If I try to split it into sections, or count, I just make a mess of it. For example, I play drums on this track and I have no idea what the time signature is for the main riff

EDIT: I'd love to know what timing this is in if anyone can tell me?

I've no idea, but this is fantastic.  I'm off to check out more CreepJoint!

• Like 1

On 26/07/2018 at 12:41, cheddatom said:

...EDIT: I'd love to know what timing this is in if anyone can tell me?...

For the main verses, I hear '1 & 2 & 3 & ', and for the refrain, '1 2 3 ', so, except for the intro and odd breaks here and there, I'd say it's basically a waltz, if one was to dance to it. :|

9 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

For the main verses, I hear '1 & 2 & 3 & ', and for the refrain, '1 2 3 ', so, except for the intro and odd breaks here and there, I'd say it's basically a waltz, if one was to dance to it. :|

I can't count 1 2 3 to it at all! Weird!

I figured a way to count it - nod my head as usual, and each time I nod, press a key on my keyboard. 13 key presses per repetition for me. I guess I'm nodding 1/4 notes. Me theory is not up to much so no idea what that means. 13/4 ? 

Odd time signatures counted in 8th or 16th notes are Ve-Ry-Diff-I-Cult (5's) or Ve-Ry-Ve-Ry-Diff-I-Cult. (7's) - This works well with 2-3 and 2-2-3 groupings.

Edited by dood
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, cheddatom said:

I can't count 1 2 3 to it at all! Weird!

I figured a way to count it - nod my head as usual, and each time I nod, press a key on my keyboard. 13 key presses per repetition for me. I guess I'm nodding 1/4 notes. Me theory is not up to much so no idea what that means. 13/4 ? 

I'll rip it and pop it into Reaper, to see what I can come up with. An exercise; it may work, it may not. Don't wait up... :$

Edit: 7/4 at 150 bpm for the verse. I'll look at the 'chorus' later...

Edited by Dad3353