Why become a member? ×

Neck radius

Fishman

Anyone got any opinions on neck radius (or radii, if you prefer)

I recently bought a Fender Japan Mustang, no idea what the radius is, but it's quite different to my regular bass, a 1976 Aria ProII Jazz copy, which is as flat as can be, without actually being flat

I'm thinking of having a bass built and I'm veering towards a flat board – opinions please

8 hours ago, MoonBassAlpha said:

fwiw ACG basses have flat boards as standard, I believe.

Yup, completely flat, 0° radius. Works really well with the asymmetrical neck profile, which is also standard.

I've been playing flat boards for some time now and they feel brilliant!

Eude

Just to be contrary, I prefer 7.25" radius boards. But they're few and far between - Fender Classic 50s and Roadworns have them, as do various other stock basses. But not many. You can also buy 7.25" board necks, but they're expensive.

Edited by discreet

I have an ACG flat board asymmetric neck and it is very very nice to play. I think the nut width and neck profile are key to making the radius work or not for you. 

I have a vintage Precision with 7.25 radius - that works beautifully too, but it’s the 44mm nut width and shallow profile that allow it to work

27 minutes ago, eude said:

Yup, completely flat, 0° radius. Works really well with the asymmetrical neck profile, which is also standard.

I've been playing flat boards for some time now and they feel brilliant!

Eude

It's actually a radius at infinity (distance) that is flat, not zero degrees if you consider it for a moment. Radius is a distance from the centre point, not an angle.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, MoonBassAlpha said:

It's actually a radius at infinity (distance) that is flat, not zero degrees if you consider it for a moment. Radius is a distance from the centre point, not an angle.

Bah! You had to go and bring maffs into it. Or geometry. Or something.