Why become a member? ×

Recommend me some strings

uk_lefty

2 minutes ago, The59Sound said:

Unless you buy them from an eBay seller, imported from the US. I pay £21/22 per set all in normally. 

Yeah, I used to do that when I used Sunbeams. Until I got a set of cheap copies...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SpondonBassed said:

Okay

The OP isn't disagreeing with you...

I am not sure who has provoked the comment.  I can't see a single recommendation for Rotosound strings in this topic so far.

You recommend D'Addario Half wounds. Is that a bright and zingy string like the OP asked for? No. As you were...

8 hours ago, SpondonBassed said:

D'Addario's half rounds?

I have them on two of my basses.  As you'd expect, they've got some of the qualities of both round and flat wound strings.  They are not cheap though.

Yeah I have these on one of my jazz basses they sound great and have a nice smooth feel well worth the money 

9 hours ago, DannyBrerro said:

Just this weekend I put Warwick Red Label strings on my Sandberg, I think they sound great - really bright and defined.

Can't speak to the lifespan of them though as they've only been on 3 days but could be worth a go for less than a tenner 👍

Agree re bright and defined. As a previous Rotosound user I used to get 1 month from Rotos, I average 2 - 3 months on Warwick Reds, depending on how hot & sweaty the gis are.

2 hours ago, Muzz said:

Yeah, I used to do that when I used Sunbeams. Until I got a set of cheap copies...

Yep i've been caught with the evilbay copy thing too. I now only buy from recognised shops or suppliers.

I used to use Elite Stadiums stainless on my Warwick Thumb mainly because that's what originally came with them from Warwick and they were bright and zingy. As far as i know the Warwick strings were made to sound like the Elites. might even have been Elite that made them for Warwick ? who knows

Dave

2 hours ago, The59Sound said:

You recommend D'Addario Half wounds. Is that a bright and zingy string like the OP asked for? No. As you were...

I don’t get it. It’s a discussion about strings - it’s not a traditionally earth shattering life changing gasp-out-loud “he said what??!!” topic..

Yet you’ve piped up twice with a passive aggressive tone which suggests you are really narked about it. I don’t understand. 

I thought the recommendation for half wounds was odd given the OP’s brief - but within 1.5 seconds I’d moved on. 

Now you’ve gone and made me pipe up!! 

:D

Edited by Bridgehouse
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, DannyBrerro said:

Just this weekend I put Warwick Red Label strings on my Sandberg, I think they sound great - really bright and defined.

Can't speak to the lifespan of them though as they've only been on 3 days but could be worth a go for less than a tenner 👍

Surprisingly good is the answer. I got a set after reading on here and swapped from roto 66s. The rotos used to last a couple of rehearsals and a gig before going off. The Warwick reds are on two gigs, several rehearsals, six weeks and still sound fresh. VERY pleased with them.

On 25/07/2018 at 09:43, DannyBrerro said:

Agree, definitely punch above their weight

I've moved to Dunlop super brights. Never been one for caring about the tension but I really like the way the super brights feel to play. Also seem to last a decent length of time. In the past I had a deal with Ernie Ball and Rotosound. Loved Ernie Ball steels, tho I was prob the only person to ever buy them. Rotosound were awful, dead within a couple of gigs. Actually I stuck some on for a shoe recently as they were cheap and they practically dead after soundcheck!

I tried Dunlop Superbrights, the Stainless Steel versions, and they have lasted a really long time for me, maybe half a dozen gigs plus playing at home and still sound zingy! which is really good for me at this sweaty time of year! They felt a bit floppy I thought to begin with but I have got used to it and they didn't have the sticky feel that I find some stainless sets have for very long at all. Also tried the Nickel versions but didn't find them to be as good which is strange as I usually much prefer Nickel strings.

Oh, and they are pretty cheap too!

On 25/07/2018 at 07:45, Johnny Wishbone said:

D’Addario Pro Steels and Elites Stadium Series Stainless spring immediately to mind.

And like that, the thread was over before it had even started! Excellent suggestion, my friend! Exactly what I was going to recommend too!

• Thanks 1