Why become a member? ×

Recommend me some strings

uk_lefty

I have a heavily modified fender jazz with Bartolini pickups. I have been using Ernie Ball slinky bass strings for some zingy brightness but they've been gigged a bit too much and need replacing... Nothing wrong with the Ernie's  but fancying a change. I tried GHS Bass Boomers a while back and was not at all impressed. Neither do I think Fender or Rotos are up to the task. Any recommendations for a bright sounding string? I like a bit of grit in the sound but lots of brightness and zingyness would be a great compliment to my p bass which wears tapewounds. 

Thanking you

Edited by uk_lefty

7 minutes ago, nash said:

I really like D'Addarios. I currently use Dunlops (because I get them cheap) but I'd like to hear their Superbrights.

I found the low tension of Superbrights too much to deal with. Shame, as they are relatively inexpensive and come in suitably heavy gauges to accommodate my excessive down-tuning.

Just this weekend I put Warwick Red Label strings on my Sandberg, I think they sound great - really bright and defined.

Can't speak to the lifespan of them though as they've only been on 3 days but could be worth a go for less than a tenner 👍

16 minutes ago, Johnny Wishbone said:

Hate the string spacing, and small hands restrict me to a 4. I do use a BEAD-tuned 4 (actually it’s Bb/Eb/Ab/C#) when required but most of our material is in drop C# or drop C.

Fair enough.

I suppose a detuner modification introduces its own issues too.  I did a bit of drop tuning but it's a drag.  I am never going to be able to detune and retune on the fly like some of the true exhibitionist players.

Edited by SpondonBassed

1 hour ago, The59Sound said:

Love these threads.

Recommend me a string!

Every string under sun is suggested.

I’ll just use Rotos.

I have pretty much tried every round, flat and pressure wound string out there... yet my advice is constantly ignored!

And what is your advice?

Another strike for DR from me, though I use Nickel Lo-Riders now I was a big user of Fat Beams a few years ago. Last an age too!

Only downside I’ve found is that DRs are generally more pricey !

Edited by Sammers

2 hours ago, The59Sound said:

No, just users who don't have a scoobie. 

Okay

9 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

Neither do I think Fender or Rotos are up to the task.

The OP isn't disagreeing with you...

3 hours ago, The59Sound said:

Love these threads.

Recommend me a string!

Every string under sun is suggested.

I’ll just use Rotos.

I have pretty much tried every round, flat and pressure wound string out there... yet my advice is constantly ignored!

I am not sure who has provoked the comment.  I can't see a single recommendation for Rotosound strings in this topic so far.

Just to justify your comment though, I have a set of Rotosound 88s on my fretless and they have made me enjoy playing the confounded thing for the first time in its entire life!  The issue I've now got with Rotosound is that they're forcing me to improve my intonation, despite my fat lazy fingers.

• Like 1